mtbr member
    Feb 2008

do you lube the base of your dropper post?

I've put some Slick Honey on my dropper post but it feels like I should spray some lube at the base of the dropper around the opening to help reduce friction around the metal-on-metal contact area. Do you lube the base of your dropper post? If so then what products and techniques do you recommend?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    I've put some Slick Honey on my dropper post but it feels like I should spray some lube at the base of the dropper around the opening to help reduce friction around the metal-on-metal contact area. Do you lube the base of your dropper post? If so then what products and techniques do you recommend?
    IME, that allows contaminates picked up by the lube to work their way into the post.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    If you mean the extension, the actual seat post -yes I do.

After it's been washed I spay WD40 Silicon Spray on a towel, or a very light amount on the post and use the rag to wipe it around the post leaving a film behind. I then cycle it through the range and put the bike away.

I think grease would attract too much dust for my liking.

I've serviced the Specialized Command Post once and used slick honey on the bottom half, the seals and the inserted portion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The collar on mine unscrews and I pack grease under that, makes a big difference. I dont bother with doing the outside since the seal will just keep it out.

mtbr member
    Fairly new to droppers but I give mating surfaces a squirt of silicone spray every now and then after cleaning then wipe it off. Have done the same with fork and shock for years. It leaves a dry slick film that does not attract dirt.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The advantage in lubricating the post (or fork stantions) is reducing stiction. There isn't metal/metal contact. The seal is snug, of course, and reducing friction on the seal is good preventative maintenance for longevity.

Just use caution with spray lubes so over spray doesn't land on the rotor.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Isn't the OP talking about the base of the post and the actuating mechanism not the stanchion?
    For me it would depend on the mechanism but a little spray of silicon lube would do no harm. I wouldn't be covering it in grease.

mtbr member
    I imagine the manufacturer recommends greasing the post.

It would really suck to have a suspension post seized in a seat tube.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Don't understand WTF the OP is talking about, but for me and droppers, it goes like this....carbon assembly paste in the ST and lower part of the post to help reduce the need to crank down on the seat clamp. On the stanchion, a light smearing of grease, then cycle the post a few times, then wipe off, as any lube will attract dirt. A couple times a year I loosen the collar and slide it up the stanchion, clean it out and re-grease. All this on a 9point8 FallLine post.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Don't understand WTF the OP is talking about, but for me and droppers, it goes like this....carbon assembly paste in the ST and lower part of the post to help reduce the need to crank down on the seat clamp. On the stanchion, a light smearing of grease, then cycle the post a few times, then wipe off, as any lube will attract dirt.
    +1 to this. Carbon assembly paste is great for this purpose.

mtbr member
    If the OP means lubing during post installation, I just use light grease to prevent seizing. Non carbon, btw.

If lubing for daily ride use... my current dropper has a rubber water/weather rubber cover at the base, which I pull up and apply a little Tri-Flow on the seal, then reset the rubber cover. On older droppers, I just put the same Tri-Flow around the base seal. Sure, it might collect dusk, but no worse than the forks or rear shock, which also get the Tri-Flow treatment.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    I don't use lube of any kind on the dropper stanchion. If you're talking about the post and seat tube..I use a very small amount of friction paste.