Damaged Carbon Bars after crash. Still ok to ride???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Damaged Carbon Bars after crash. Still ok to ride???

All,

I am trying to determine if it is still safe to go on normal trail rides still with my carbon bars I just got a few months ago. I had a spill over the bars at a bike part and got a little injured. What was worse was I noticed my bars were scratched and cant decide if it is still safe to ride. Im around 185lb and do tend to hit jumps and drops on the trails. Any thoughts on if the bars are good?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Damaged Carbon Bars after crash. Still ok to ride???-img_1330.jpg.jpg  

2018 Diamondback Release 3
    2016 Vilano Blackjack 3.0

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmm, without seeing a closeup of the scratches it seems they arenít that bad. Looks just like a superficial scratch on the very top coat. My vote is remove the electrical tap from your bars and ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yeah the scratches dont seem to be that deep but thought I would get some opinions. Not sure what you mean by the electrical tape the black is just the bars. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm2006 View Post
    Yeah the scratches dont seem to be that deep but thought I would get some opinions. Not sure what you mean by the electrical tape the black is just the bars. Thanks for the input.
    Oh, looks like there is electrical tape on the bars where the stem clamps it, guess itís just the design. Carbon crash damage is difficult to assess and I assume if there is any penetration to the carbon or even resin layers, that the strength is compromised. And obviously, bars are not where you want to compromise. Iíd recommend cleaning really well and getting a real good look at all the scratches, if ANY of them are deep Iíd replace the bar, but like I mentioned initially, from the pics it seems good to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    If there are no cracks around the stem in the center, and none around the brake housing, then you are good to go. The weak spots are where items are attached

mtbr member
    May 2017
    You need to remove that brake and check for cracks around the clamp area. Looks like its got a bit of rash on the master so there has been a bit of pressure thru the clamp.

mtbr member
    That's a superficial scratch not structural weakening damage. Keep riding its good to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for all the replies. I will check the clamp area but sounds like I'm probably good to go.