Custom Paint?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Custom Paint?

mtbr member

Custom Paint?

General question I have for anyone that knows. Are there any places in the US that will paint parts for you, with a durable paint that won't chip, crack or come off? Super durable, lasts for 5-10 years or longer?

I saw a company in Germany on Insta that does SICK custom paint jobs and custom bike builds for people! And they can paint ANYTHING on your bike, from the most normal colors and finishes up to the most insane colors/swirls/metallic flake/etc and finishes you could imagine!

So like I want to paint my coil shock a different color than what it comes as (black). So do any of you know a reputable places that will do that? With a paint that is bomber durable?

Or.... preferably, does anyone know of any bomber paint I can buy and do it myself with? I have a friend that does custom guitar work and has a paint area to hang stuff and be ventilated. So if there is good quality paint I can just buy myself, can you anyone recommend that paint for me please?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Testors spray laquer. Spray a few coats of color, follow up with a few coats of clear. Sold at most craft stores, like Michael's. Plenty of color choices. You can also get from Amazon, but slightly higher price. I've painted brake calipers and levers, and worked great. Just make sure you prep the surface properly before you paint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Testors spray laquer. Spray a few coats of color, follow up with a few coats of clear. Sold at most craft stores, like Michael's. Plenty of color choices. You can also get from Amazon, but slightly higher price. I've painted brake calipers and levers, and worked great. Just make sure you prep the surface properly before you paint.

So this Testors spray laquer will cover OVER the paint color I choose? And keep the paint from cracking or flaking off?

I'm going to be painting my coil shock. As long as this option lasts 5 yrs or longer, I'm all for it! Thanks

mtbr member
    I am not sure paint is the right thing for a part that is changing its dimensions frequently. I could see the paint cracking and chipping off very quickly. Maybe something with some elasticity like plastidip would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
    So this Testors spray laquer will cover OVER the paint color I choose? And keep the paint from cracking or flaking off?

I'm going to be painting my coil shock. As long as this option lasts 5 yrs or longer, I'm all for it! Thanks
    I've never painted a coil spring, so I can't comment on the flexibility, but it worked great on brake calipers and levers, and I painted them 3+ years ago. I painted lime green over silver, then clear coat. No flaking.

Unless you want to pay a lot of money, there's no other way to do this. Powder coating will cost you a couple hundred at least, and a auto body shop would probably charge more than that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    I am not sure paint is the right thing for a part that is changing its dimensions frequently. I could see the paint cracking and chipping off very quickly. Maybe something with some elasticity like plastidip would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...and you can get Plasti-dip in just about any color. If it didn't work, you could simply peel it off. Go see color choices at https://www.dipyourcar.com .