• 05-31-2019
    titus
    custom headset cap - recommended vendors?
    I recently found the following vendor online who makes custom headset caps:

    http://www.purelycustom.com/black-engraving/

    I sent an email asking for a quote on a custom design a few days ago but I haven't heard back. The design that I want is pretty basic, just a 10 letter work on top and bottom, arched and centered. Have you used this particular vendor before, with good results and contact info for a specific poc? Or can you recommend a different vendor for what I want?
  • 05-31-2019
    jcd46
    I used this one but it wasn't custom. It was suggested by a member here.

    https://www.bikelangelo.com/Stem-Caps_c_11.html
  • 05-31-2019
    kevinboyer
    https://kustomcaps.com/

    I've had Dan at Kustomcaps do 5 different caps for 5 different bikes. All custom. Attention to detail is second to none. Hit him up on there FB page for instant contact.
  • 06-01-2019
    titus
    thanks kevin! I will try kustom caps
  • 06-01-2019
    kevinboyer
    3 Attachment(s)
    titus, here's a few examples of some caps Dan did for me....

    Click on photo for full resolution.

    Attachment 1254491Attachment 1254493Attachment 1254495
  • 06-02-2019
    NYrr496
    I use Kustomcaps on every bike I build. great quality.
  • 06-02-2019
    Forest Rider
    I've used Kustomcaps also.

    I ordered a cap for the girlfriends bike, I used internet clipart and sized it to the cap and it came out perfectly using his provided template.

    My mom liked the idea of it and ordered 2 standard ones from him for my brother and his wife.

    Keep in mind that if you decide to run a stem mounted Garmin type device, the cap will not be used
  • 06-02-2019
    mtnbkrmike
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    titus, here's a few examples of some caps Dan did for me....

    Click on photo for full resolution.


    Holy crap. Nice top caps. Even nicer bikes.

    I have a non-custom Chromag cap that's pretty sweet but I like these more.



    Ordering...

    But first I have to design it. I have some good options with the Druid font and those circle and other designs below it on the top tube. Decisions, decisions...
  • 06-02-2019
    mtnbkrmike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I've used Kustomcaps also.

    I ordered a cap for the girlfriends bike, I used internet clipart and sized it to the cap and it came out perfectly using his provided template.

    My mom liked the idea of it and ordered 2 standard ones from him for my brother and his wife.

    Keep in mind that if you decide to run a stem mounted Garmin type device, the cap will not be used

    Forest Rider...

    Are you able to advise how to use the online template?

    I just sent an email to Dan. Maybe he can help as well.

    Those caps are incredible.
  • 06-02-2019
    Forest Rider
    Well, I use CAD tools (compute drawing). For me I was able to import the PDF into CAD, as well as the clip art and position the artwork within the template.

    I'm not sure, but I think a photo editor like Photo Shop will do the same -I'm not a photo shop expert, nor do I have Photo Shop so I can't say with any certainty.


    To all, keep in mind the more lines the lesser the quality will be, if it's a tight design.
    I used a dragonfly -the challenge for me was positioning the dragonfly on the cap to not lose too much art with the cap screw, but also size it well enough to fit within the cap and not push it off the edge too much.
  • 06-02-2019
    mtnbkrmike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Well, I use CAD tools (compute drawing). For me I was able to import the PDF into CAD, as well as the clip art and position the artwork within the template.

    I'm not sure, but I think a photo editor like Photo Shop will do the same -I'm not a photo shop expert, nor do I have Photo Shop so I can't say with any certainty.


    To all, keep in mind the more lines the lesser the quality will be, if it's a tight design.
    I used a dragonfly -the challenge for me was positioning the dragonfly on the cap to not lose too much art with the cap screw, but also size it well enough to fit within the cap and not push it off the edge too much.

    Sadly, this sounds like it may be beyond my skillset. Thanks FR for getting back to me. Much appreciated.

    Interestingly, my GF tells me that I am a dragonfly. I have countless birthday, Christmas and other greeting cards from her with a dragonfly on them.
  • 06-02-2019
    kevinboyer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Sadly, this sounds like it may be beyond my skillset. Thanks FR for getting back to me. Much appreciated.

    Interestingly, my GF tells me that I am a dragonfly. I have countless birthday, Christmas and other greeting cards from her with a dragonfly on them.


    Mike,

    On all my caps that Dan has done for me, I basically told him what I wanted. For instance, I wanted to use the bike manufacturer's logo's, as well as the font that is used in their name. In the case of the Rocky Mountain cap, everything you see on it, Dan came up with. I told him I wanted the mountains that RM uses in their logo as well as the model of bike, and the company name. He came up with a mock up of the cap, shot me a message on FB and voila, perfect cap.

    I did the same thing with the Pivot cap and the Knolly cap. Told him what I wanted on the cap, and he came up with the design. He also has done a cap for my soon to be built Orange Bikes Alpine 6.

    So if you have an idea in your head for a cap, let Dan know what it is, and let him do his magic.
  • 06-02-2019
    twodownzero
    I'm going to see if Kustom Kaps will make me a New Mexico Zia.
  • 06-02-2019
    NYrr496
    Just about every custom bike I build gets the "pedal harder sissy" cap.
  • 06-30-2019
    jcd46
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    https://kustomcaps.com/

    I've had Dan at Kustomcaps do 5 different caps for 5 different bikes. All custom. Attention to detail is second to none. Hit him up on there FB page for instant contact.

    Thanks, Dan pretty easy to deal with.

    Nothing too impressive, but what I wanted.

    It's deeper purple than what looks in the pic.

    Great finish.