Clipless pedals that feel like flats- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Clipless pedals that feel like flats

So I love the way flats feel, but the benfiits of riding clipless are worth it to me.

My current Shimano clipless pedals make it feel like I'm standing on a tiny 1 square inch platform despite having a big flat like platform. What are some clipless options that your foot actually contacts the platform and gives the same feeling as flats?

The crank brother mallet line is the only option I can find and I am not a fan of the none adjustable clip strength.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Higher end clipless mtb shoes have very stiff soles in the area under the front part of your foot and around the cleat to distribute the load over the bottom of the foot. If you can feel the pedal through the shoe's sole, you might try shoes with stiffer soles.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Check out X-pedo GFX pedals. They have quite large platform, floating clip mechanism and adjustable release, they do work very well (IMHO)...

Clipless pedals that feel like flats-xgf04acr_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Verttii View Post
    Check out X-pedo GFX pedals. They have quite large platform, floating clip mechanism and adjustable release, they do work very well (IMHO)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XGF04ACR_1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	1289665
    If you look at the picture it doesn't seem like those contact the whole surface either

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    +1 for stiffer shoes.

If the sole is contacting the pedal it is going to be difficult to clip and unclip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    My shoes are super stiff. Still feels like my foot is just floating and there isn't any positive feedback through my foot

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sender420shred View Post
    My shoes are super stiff. Still feels like my foot is just floating and there isn't any positive feedback through my foot

If the pedal didn't have any float, you wouldn't be able to unclip.

+1zillion to Sender's photo, what those "trail" pedals really do is protect the moving parts of the pedal which can and do break from impacts sometimes. Not saying they don't serve a purpose, it just isn't what people think/say it is.

Interplanetary Poultry

Try pulling up on the pedals while sprinting, it won't feel like your foot is just floating then. Seriously though, I prefer plenty of float in my clipless pedals. I ride both flats and clips and while I like flats that lock my feet in place, I want plenty of float with my clips specifically because I do move my feet a bit when riding and a lack of float prevents that. My feet move both when pedaling and when tossing the bike around.
    The platform on enduro and DH oriented pedals doesn't really come into play when you're clipped in (and nor should it), it both serves to protect the main pedal body from rock strikes while giving you a usable platform for those times when you have to dab but can't get clipped back in before the next gnarly section.
    If you're feeling a spot in your sole from the cleat interface you should try a different shoe. It's hard to judge sole stiffness by hand. I've tried several trail shoes lately that have compliant, roomy toe boxes while being plenty stiff in the sole so you don't feel as if you're balanced on a quarter. I'm currently running Northwave Enduro Mid coupled with Time Speciale 12s. The sole is stiff where it needs to be while having enough flex around the toes to make walking comfortable and natural. My Bontrager Rythms were the same but they aren't really compatible with enduro/DH pedals as the studs on the pedal body tear the tread on the shoes apart.
    If your issue is simply the feel of your foot moving around I'd recommend getting used to it. One thing you don't want with clipless is for your foot to be locked in place. You should have a positive feel to your disengagement point as the spring tension ramps up but free float when your feet are in position.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I like the DMR Vtwin you can add/remove plates and pins to get the feel you want.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I like the DMR Vtwin you can add/remove plates and pins to get the feel you want.
    Don't Crank Bros do that w/their cleats, too? I was going to suggest OP might like the Mallet.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Crank Brothers has plastic shims (so does Shimano) that you can put under the cleat. CB also has shims that you can put on the ends of the pedals to increase contact with the shoes...but it only contacts the sides of the shoes...not the front and back. I'm actually not aware of any clipless pedal where the entire sole of the shoe contacts the pedal surface. All the shoes I've owned...the sole mostly contacts the spindle part of the pedal.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    I liked the Crankbrothers Candy pedal for this reason as it felt like a flat to me, I also liked the release mechanism which could be adjusted by swapping the cleats over although I see you've decided against the Crankbrothers pedals.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I haven't decided against crank Bros by any means, just want to see what other options are out there that give the flat pedal feel.

Also, I don't need advice on how I need to just get used to clipless ive been on them for two years now. Flats feel better.

Looking for suggestions on pedals that feel like flats but are clipless, other opinions not needed

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Don't Crank Bros do that w/their cleats, too? I was going to suggest OP might like the Mallet.
    They do but the DMR felels better and have the floating mechanism. But the Vtwin or Mallets are the top 2 IMHO.

mtbr member
    HT X2 seems to fit the bill. If cranked up on the tension while the pins contact the shoe, you may find it too secure and struggle to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    As was stated above, there is NO pedal where you will be in contact with the entire pedal when clipped in.
    If that was the case, you would not be able to rotate your foot (because the cleat is holding your for against the pedal cage/pins). You would never be able to unclip.
    The larger platform clipless are for when you get unclipped, can't get back in, and need something to have under your foot.

As a lifelong clipless rider, if you are riding fast down some sketchy stuff, and you get unclipped, it is a very, very difficult situation. You have about zero control over your foot on a standard clipless pedal. Had it happen to me in a downhill day a few years back.

If you are clipping in and in contact with the whole pedal, you are begging for a crash/tipover every single time.

Again, being lifelong clipless, I have never had a hot spot, or odd feeling through my shoe. But, i usually get solid mid/upper range shoes, and they are not "flat compatible". They are clipless specific.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ht x2 seems like they may fit the bill $170 is gnarly for pedals though.. maybe I can find some used.

Formerly of Kent

What shoes are they?

Iím guessing they arenít all that stiff, if youíre asking about clipless pedals that feel like flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I am also a lifelong clip-less rider (well, at least since Shimano came out with SPD's in the early 1990's I think). I have, over the years, always sought out SPD shoes that have more of a hiking tread. Initially, this was (and still is) to make hike-a-bike situations easier. But they also offer a pretty good contact with pedals as the tread's lugs extend a little more. I also try to find shoes that have a pretty recessed cleat plate. But like other's have said, if the cleat is too deep, attaching and releasing will be more difficult. To offset that, I also use Shimano's multi-release cleat (SH-56).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.