Clipless with easy clip out/in for putting a foot out?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Clipless with easy clip out/in for putting a foot out?

Hey buds, are there any clipless pedals where you find it easy to get out and in? Anything with customized settings that would allow for that?

I ride flats, because when I'm going over something gnarly I prefer the ease of being able to get out fast and putting my foot out when cornering in loose dirt. However, I've ridden SPDs before and I know there's a benefit to being locked in on hard root and rock gardens, and when having to pedal through part of an enduro stage. The biggest problem with my SPD was that I couldn't get back in easy if I unclipped.

mtbr member
    I put a foot out on sketchy corners now and then and at this point it's pretty instinctual but it took a little while to get there. Standard Shimano spd's with the tension set low work pretty darn good.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I think SPD is the easiest. I would give it another try, clipping back in can be a little weird. The new SPD trail pedals have small platforms that wont work very well, but it can often be enough to clear that little spot and get in a better position to clip back in.

I almost gave up on clipless when I started on CB pedals. They do everything worse except clip back in. You might like them, they certainly are easier to get in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Ok thanks. What do you mean by "Standard SPDs"? I had a standard $40 pair before that gave me a lot of fuss getting into. Are the higher end or different platform SPDs any different?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I had these ones. Are these the trail ones that you're referring to? Getting back in mid-run for me was super difficult.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SL...RoCe0gQAvD_BwE

Up In Smoke
    The thing about spd is they don't shed mud well. If you're walking a bit and the cleats get gunked up with mud, you're going to have problems. For the most part, I find CB to be very easy to get in and out of. I prefer to only use the eggbeaters though, I've got a set of candy pedals that have guard around the egg beater and that sometimes gets in the way of clipping in. Its just something that comes with practice though, no matter what pedal you use.

mtbr member
    I think people are going to have different experience when it comes to clipless pedals. The easiest in my experiences to clip out of are Crank Brothers pedals. I've got both Shimano and CB pedals. The CB's are easier to get in...and out of. There is no tension to adjust. With Shimano(on the lightest tension)...you feel the end of the float when you clip out...it takes a slight bit more force to pop out. The CB...you just twist out in a more linear feel.

I've got the XT, XT Trail, XTR 9100, Eggbeater, and Candy pedals. Currently on the XTR.

I think the most important thing might not be the ease of release...but committing the twisting out motion to muscle memory. I've found that in panic mode...most will try to pull up on the pedal...and unless you have the multi release cleats...you're going to fall over. Same with getting back into the pedal. Once you get used to your setup...you'll know where to put your foot on the pedal to get back in. There will be times where you will have difficulty getting back in. If I can't clip back in on some sketch...I'll put the middle of my shoe on the pedal. That'll usually get me far enough to be able to clip back in.

Elitest thrill junkie
    One of the issues I have with CB pedals specifically is that it's damn near impossible to exit by twisting your foot the opposite way. While this doesn't happen often, IME it does happen from time to time and it's usually a painful slow-speed fall. Because those pedals work more on angular deflection rather than spring retention, they simply won't release no matter how hard you pull until you reach the correct angle, in this situation, your foot is blocked by the bike/chainstay. With other brands, I notice that when you get it deflected some, you can usually pull out without going nearly as far as far as angle. I also find getting into CB pedals to be more problematic, as the mechanism will sometimes not be aligned with your foot and your foot will roll forward with the mech, rather than clip in. For some, the light weight is worth it, but there are some other lightweight options now, like Xpedo.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I like my Time ATAC's, I have them on everyone of my offroad bikes.
    EXODUX Jeff

Music & Bikes
    Speeplay Frog
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I like my Time ATAC's, I have them on everyone of my offroad bikes.
    Me too. I have about a half dozen pair of ATACs of various levels that are all more than 10 years old. I even have them on my road bikes. I have a bearing replacement kit that I ordered a while ago, just in case, that I have never had to resort to. They just keep on keeping on.

As far as ease of entry and exit, these things are like buttah, especially with the cleats positioned in the the "easier" orientation.

EDIT: I just checked. I have 8 pair.

I have been very hesitant to buy a new pair because of the reviews, which seem to suggest that their quality went for a downward slide. I was given a pair of inexpensive demo XC-6s by my LBS the other day, that I haven't tried yet. I guess I will find out if the online horror stores are true.

Clipless with easy clip out/in for putting a foot out?-fullsizeoutput_de.jpg
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Up In Smoke
    Anyone with experience on magnetic pedals? Maglock for example?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just as a reminder, Shimano has two types of cleats for the same spd pedals: SH-51, lateral release (black-anodized steel) and SH-56, multi-directional release (chrome). The last one is much more forgiving to release from pedal.

mtbr member
    Multi release also releases more often when you don't want it to. Normal cleats release both left and right, multi release doesn't keep you in when you really need to be in, and releases when pulling up!

Normal cleats are perfect. Multi release doesn't work for aggressive riding.