Chris King Dropset 2 Install Problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Chris King Dropset 2 Install Problem

I picked up a Dropset 2 for installation on my 2019 Specialized Stumpjumper ST 27.5 (which I love BTW). I used the Chris King fit finder and matched the bike specs to the Dropset 2.

I'm having issues with fitment of the upper bearing and Griplock assembly. The GripLock assembly rests on the top exterior of the frame, preventing contact of the split ring with the bearing. No amount of pretensioning via tightening the top cap creates contact. Tightening only results in pushing the GripLock cap into the exterior top of the frame. This results in vertical and horizontal play between the upper bearing and fork steerer tube.

The installation manual on the Chris King website provides no help with this issue There are no Dropset 2 or specific manuals, only a Dropset 1 version (probably doesn't matter though).

Other headset brands (e.g. Cane Creek) address this via use of microspacers. No such option appears to exist for Chris King Dropsets.

I've verified the headset bearing specs of the Stumpjumper, 42/52, 45 x 45 degrees, correspond to the Dropset 2. FWIS, the Specialized bike manual indicates that the stock bearing in 8mm tall. Placed side by side, the Chris King bearing is shorter by ~2 mm. However, the difference is in the length of the angled part, therefore I surmise that this has no impact on this issue. The bearing stack height is identical.

The stock FSA headset has a relatively large split ring insert that snaps into the the top of the upper bearing. This split ring extends ~2-3 mm above the top of the upper bearing in order to contact the FSA upper cap.

At this point I'm stumped (no pun intended). It appears to me the issue is that the split ring isn't tall enough to reach the top of the bearing. There doesn't appear to alternate sized replacement split rings available. I spent several hours already searching online for information and a solution to no avail.

I'll be calling Chris King later this morning and am hopeful they can solve this for me.

Anyone out there run into and more importantly, resolved this issue?

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with the Dropset, per se, but if it's like any other IS headset, as you point out you stack shims/spacers on top of the split ring to control clearance between the cap and head tube. Your friendly LBS should loads of these lying around. Would this not work?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Unfortunately, the Dropset 2 is not compatible with this method of dealing with the issue. I spoke to a Chris King rep earlier today who confirmed there is nothing that can be done.

mtbr member
    My Dropset 1 did the same thing on my Hightower Lt. I took the top cap apart and put the included nylon spacer between the cap and compression ring. It can be done at least on my Dropset 1. Now, whether or not they intended it to is another story. I was barely able to reassemble the top cap with it in there. I'm changing my bar stem combo this weekend and I'll pull the top cap to inspect everything.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismomike View Post
    My Dropset 1 did the same thing on my Hightower Lt. I took the top cap apart and put the included nylon spacer between the cap and compression ring. It can be done at least on my Dropset 1. Now, whether or not they intended it to is another story. I was barely able to reassemble the top cap with it in there. I'm changing my bar stem combo this weekend and I'll pull the top cap to inspect everything.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I tired something similar. couldn't get the top cap back together. And I don't think it would've made up all the space needed to get contact with the bearing. I gave up and am going with a Cane Creek headset. Cane Creek headsets can be modified with shims they provide. Should've gone that way to start with.