Carbon seat post torque- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Carbon seat post torque

Hey guys,

I have a full carbon frame and carbon seat post. Now where I need help is regarding the clamp style on my bike. It is an aluminum clamp that is integrated into the frame. Does anyone have knowledge of this style clamp and if the same over-tightening precautions need to be made as if it was a typical clamp on carbon. See photos attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon seat post torque-clamp-3.jpg  

Carbon seat post torque-clamp-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'd torque it to 7nm like it says. That's what any shop would do.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Thank you. I ordered a pre-set 6 nm t-handle torque wrench. Could not find a 7 nm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    6 is fine.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Iíd order a proper torque wrench instead, 6nm will be fine but there are a lot of other bolts as well as a seatpost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    Iíd order a proper torque wrench instead, 6nm will be fine but there are a lot of other bolts as well as a seatpost.
    This is very true. However I am lucky in the sense that all the fasteners I need to touch often are all 6 nm. I.e seat post, handlebar etc

The only one I do not have is the 10nm for the tru axle. However, anyone who has a quick release thru axle does not torque and just goes hand tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanJacques View Post
    This is very true. However I am lucky in the sense that all the fasteners I need to touch often are all 6 nm. I.e seat post, handlebar etc

The only one I do not have is the 10nm for the tru axle. However, anyone who has a quick release thru axle does not torque and just goes hand tight.

I managed without for ages ... However once you have one itís something you appreciate (even allowing for the fact you learn to approximate by hand). Itís definitely something I put off then wondered why later I had later as it just gives you that extra confidence so well worth thinking of as a really nice to have more than a luxury

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    I managed without for ages ... However once you have one itís something you appreciate (even allowing for the fact you learn to approximate by hand). Itís definitely something I put off then wondered why later I had later as it just gives you that extra confidence so well worth thinking of as a really nice to have more than a luxury

Do you have any recommendations on a decent adjustable low torque torque wrench? I have 3 torque wrenches but they are all to large for the low torque applications of a bike

mtbr member
    Agree 6 is fine. I'd use my 5 Nm wrench, and give it a little extra twist if the post was slipping at 5 (using carbon paste).
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Do you have any recommendations on a decent adjustable low torque torque wrench? I have 3 torque wrenches but they are all to large for the low torque applications of a bike
    Iím happy with mine but purchased due to discount (came with a calibration certificate) and 3/8 drive so also needs adapters to use 1/2 etc

You can find bike specific or just look for a 2-20 or a bit more (where it crosses into your lowest existing wrench)

If youíre not in any rush wait until you see one discounted ... obviously the stuff from park tools is always great but IMHO no need to go mad on quality for home use so long as it reads reasonably accurately

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Agree 6 is fine. I'd use my 5 Nm wrench, and give it a little extra twist if the post was slipping at 5 (using carbon paste).
    After working in a shop that sold Scott, and dealing with a run of weight weenie seat post clamps they made that snapped at 7Nm, I just default to 5Nm on all seatpost clamps anymore and I've never had a problem. The clamp posted above is WAY more robust and shouldn't have any problems, though.

As always on this website, it's worth pointing out that you should pay attention to any seat clamp torque specs for the dropper post you use (even though OP specifies a carbon seatpost). Too much will smoosh the post enough to impair its function. I'd say that the smaller rating of the two overrides the other.

mtbr member
    I use the Ritchey torque wrench preset to 5nm. Very convenient and comes with a handful of standard size bits. Though I have the park tools torque wrench for inch pounds, the ritchey is way easier to grab for a quick snug.

https://www.performancebike.com/ritc...817010/p473651
    Ď19 orbea oiz tr
    '16 Scott Genius 700 Premium traded in
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    I picked a 1/4" drive Bikehand torque wrench while back. Going on two years now with no issues. Small enough to get anywhere on a bike, adjustable from 2 to 24 nM. Not sure who actually makes it, but it's available under different brand names.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much everyone for your input

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    https://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Bicycle.../dp/B00811WQT8

Absolutely great kit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    CDI adjustable for 2-8 nm. This is calibrated and is of better quality than any of the bike brand versions I have seen. Be advised this may not be the lowest price for it, shop around.

CDI is a Snap On brand that manufactures some of the products in the USA and is of high quality. I have two of their all metal 3/8" drive clicker types in addition to this tool. The clicker wrenches are of much higher quality than private labeled bike brands and I got them for not much more money.

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Torq...s%2C153&sr=8-2

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Typically the specified torque is the maximum torque on bike components. With carbon parts in compression I would use a lower than max torque that holds fast under use. Applying carbon assembly compound should allow you to use much less than the max on a seat post clamp and run without problems.

I would recommend Motorex carbon assembly grease as it is not abrasive (with hard small particles) and will not mar the clear coat on the parts like most other products.