Cant wait for the Shimano Pedals: PD-EF205 & PD-EF202- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cant wait for the Shimano Pedals: PD-EF205 & PD-EF202

These look awesome. I wish there was an upgraded carbon model (even if it was only black).

They come out late summer/early fall.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../PD-EF205.html

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../PD-EF202.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Why these vs the hundreds of others on market?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    Why these vs the hundreds of others on market?

Because i bought the SHIMANO Ultegra PD-R8000 Pedals, and was impressed just how good they were and was looking for a regular pedal for my mtn bike. Also when i spoke to Viathon for my bike, they suggested Shimano for pedals (as the bike didnt come with any).

I tried looking through some of the "best sellers" on amazon, and sifting through the comments, it looks like they leave weird noises. Some people replaced parts on their bike and then found out it was the pedals. Also saw a number of other best sellers with pictures where the pedal just broke.

I have their fishing gear too and never fails.

I guess i am trusting my 225 pounds with Shimano. My only disappointment is that i literally googled "regular pedals Shimano" and it brought me to those. Then, come to find out i was somehow redirected to their EU site and not US.

do you have any other suggestions ? I am all ears

Something that will hold up to ratings.

Do you know of any carbon-fiber regular pedals?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You aren't actually thinking of putting these on a mountain bike? These are pedals for beach cruisers or coffee shop bikes.
    2020 Canyon Neuron 9.0 LTD
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    You aren't actually thinking of putting these on a mountain bike? These are pedals for beach cruisers or coffee shop bikes.
    You know i was really considering it. I really wanted a normal pedal for the bike, outside of what shimano has for mtn shoe-based pedals for rainy weekends like this one. when i looked into getting the mtn bike shoes and pedals for shimano, the ones that were in my price range all required taking the pins out immediately. And it was really outside of what i wanted to do, with little hills and forests of Florida (we dont have any mountains really), so i ended up putting those racing bike pedals on the mtn bike and was considering switching out to those pedals above on some of the riding days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I think I understand what you are looking for, these may fit your needs. Very durable, not expensive and will last. I know quite a few serious riders that like them. Note, if you are actually mountain biking anything past a greenway you would likely want MTB specific shoes. MTB specific pedals have pins to help grip, it'll tear up normal shoes. Five Tens are quality shoes.

https://www.raceface.com/products/chester-pedal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    I think I understand what you are looking for, these may fit your needs. Very durable, not expensive and will last. I know quite a few serious riders that like them. Note, if you are actually mountain biking anything past a greenway you would likely want MTB specific shoes. MTB specific pedals have pins to help grip, it'll tear up normal shoes. Five Tens are quality shoes.

https://www.raceface.com/products/chester-pedal

Thank you so much, thats a great suggestion, and they come in black so that is a great option.

They have pins. Can you elaborate, with this mechanism, you are just locking into the pins place. This prevents sliding right? But to get out of them, there is no locking mechanism, you just have to lift the shoe out of the pins right ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    That is correct, no locking, they are just for gripping the sole of the shoe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Look again.

The 202 model is a pinned pedal. I'd guess maybe 50% of the mt. bikers here on MTBr as well as on my MTB FB page prefer flat/pinned.

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post
    Look again.

The 202 model is a pinned pedal. I'd guess maybe 50% of the mt. bikers here on MTBr as well as on my MTB FB page prefer flat/pinned.
    those aren't pins, they're just nubs. Id recommend Shimano XT flats, or Saint flats.
    Cant wait for the Shimano Pedals:  PD-EF205 & PD-EF202-shimano-saint-pedals.jpg
    . . . . . . . .

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post
    Look again.

The 202 model is a pinned pedal.
    No, it's not.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I suspect they recommended shimano for pedals as they may have thought you wanted to clip in to your mtb and by in large shimano makes the most reliable and foolproof clipless mtb pedal with their spd system.

Since it sounds like you want something to be able to just ride around in and not worry about clipping in, but also not something ultra aggressive, I would recommend possibly looking into some bmx pedals. The pins are usually shorter than a mtb pedal and they are designed to be ridden with regular sneakers.

Plastic pedals like these are actually pretty grippy and very lightweight. https://www.albes.com/colony-fantastic-pc-pedal/

If you want a metal pedal I have had great experiences with these. https://www.albes.com/wellgo-a52-pedals/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk