Brooks vs rest of your saddles comparison - your experience wanted- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Brooks vs rest of your saddles comparison - your experience wanted

Long story short. Got Specialized saddle on my bike which made Nutella out of my nuggets, so I dumped it very fast and went to measure my bones and I bought Bontrager saddle. I am on that Bontrager saddle for one month now. It's good enough for one hour, but I know it's not good enough for longer periods. I can still feel this is not it.

So I was googling and you got bunch of saddles like selle italia, Wtb rocket race and many many more. And I was thinking. I could pay 50 for another saddle and then 50 for another one and while I chase that good saddle I could spend a fortune.

So why wouldn't I just dump the cash right away for Brooks and I also save money in a long run. Looks like they are comfortable. Any opinions?

Maybe you got Brooks and you had other ''modern'' ones and you would share experience/comparison between Brooks and modern one?

Any info would be helpfull, I am seriously considering to buy Brooks for my mtb.

Either way, thanks for help and brainstorming.

mtbr member
    May 2019

mtbr member
    How much have you ridden? When you're just starting, your ass will not be in cycling shape and every saddle will hurt.

The specialized butt gel imprint thing does pretty accurately tell what width of saddle you should use. I have sat on one.

Then you make sure your chosen saddle is pretty damn close to level, put on a pair of bike shorts with a decent chamois, and you start riding. Brooks will be the most uncomfortable saddle you have ever sat upon until you get it broken in. And it's a very poor choice for a mtb, assuming it's ridden on trails.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Highly individualized, but pretty much any WTB saddle works for me. I'm currently on a mid-priced Rocket on my trail bike. I like Brooks for touring bikes and maybe bikepacking, but not for rowdy mtb. Lots of exposed metal parts to hurt you and heavier than you need. If you ride in the wet you will have to be diligent with maintenance.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Highly individualized, but pretty much any WTB saddle works for me. I'm currently on a mid-priced Rocket on my trail bike. I like Brooks for touring bikes and maybe bikepacking, but not for rowdy mtb. Lots of exposed metal parts to hurt you and heavier than you need. If you ride in the wet you will have to be diligent with maintenance.
    how long are your rides on WTB?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    How much have you ridden?
    2 months almost each day. I had a few days break cause of bad weather.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    https://www.brooksengland.com/en_eu/saddles/mtb.html

those are Brooks saddles for mtb...

mtbr member
    Specialized is one of the most comfortable saddles I've owned, Brooks is probably the least comfortable saddle I've owned.

The Bontrager I have on my mtb is very nice also for rides of any length.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCookie View Post
    how long are your rides on WTB?
    3-5 hours without a chamois. I wear a thin, wicking microfiber boxer brief under mtb shorts. Zero issues, but again highly individualized.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    3-5 hours without a chamois. I wear a thin, wicking microfiber boxer brief under mtb shorts. Zero issues, but again highly individualized.
    3-5 hours would be great for me. I have underwear chamois so I wear regular shorts on top of it. I understand it's individual, but Specialized and Bontrager doesn't smell nice to me any more, so maybe I should go with WTB this time...

mtbr member
    I've also always had good luck with WTB saddles, FWIW. The PureV is my current favorite.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I've also always had good luck with WTB saddles, FWIW. The PureV is my current favorite.
    It is worth. I can't find PureV though.

mtbr member
    I use a WTB Volt 142mm. If you used the Specilaized Butt Dyno then you know what size to order - they offer 135, 142, 150mm. It's supportive, light, fairly durable in a crash.

I would absolutely wear shorts or a liner with chamois. Some folks don't, but most of them ride a lot, and for years, and they have pretty tough butts. Newer riders absolutely should wear good chamois and use a medium-firm saddle. Too soft will be just as bad as too hard once the miles & hours pile on.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    If you used the Specilaized Butt Dyno
    I used Specialized Nuts Demolisher saddle -.-
    I didn't sit on Specialized dyno thingy though.

I can measure my sit bones at home or go to the store once more and measure there, this is not a problem. I did measure when I bought bontrager in the store on bontrager machine, but it didn't work for me.

I did find video from this guy, he found easy way to do it at home, so I am good there. I can do it easily.

https://youtu.be/xSWlwzqGKik

And thanks for the medium-firm tip