Brand X Dropper Post (internal routing) Confusion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brand X Dropper Post (internal routing) Confusion

OK, I must be mechanically challenged.
    I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach the cable to the actuating lever on the bottom of the post. The woefully inadequate instructions show attaching the little barrel thing (the one without the set screw) to the cable at the end with the metal ball at the end. So how does this actually attach? Clearly the barrel piece fits in the barrel shaped recess of the actuating lever. But where does the metal ball end go? If you have close up pix of your assembly, I'd really appreciate it. The only other way to do it is to have 2 of the barrels with the set screws, one for each end.
    Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Slip the barrel end through the slot/gap on the actuator and pull the cable downwards between the slit.

Run the cable to the lever, slip the loose end of the cable through the little barrel thingy (lack of proper name) in the lever, take up the slack, tighten the hex nut to secure the cable. Use the barrel adjuster knob to tighten up the cable, enough that the seat does not drop down on its own when you sit on it.

Snip off the excess cable and crimp on the cable end cap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Slip the barrel end through the slot/gap on the actuator and pull the cable downwards between the slit.

Run the cable to the lever, slip the loose end of the cable through the little barrel thingy (lack of proper name) in the lever, take up the slack, tighten the hex nut to secure the cable. Use the barrel adjuster knob to tighten up the cable, enough that the seat does not drop down on its own when you sit on it.

Snip off the excess cable and crimp on the cable end cap.

Wait what?

My inner mechanical engineer cringes at the thought of running it like that when my brand x came with a perfectly functional barrel nut that mounts to the cable and fits that interface perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Wait what?

My inner mechanical engineer cringes at the thought of running it like that when my brand x came with a perfectly functional barrel nut that mounts to the cable and fits that interface perfectly.

I kinda agree. But the cable end doesn't fit into the barrel nut that came with my post making it fiddly as hell to attach, and causing interference with the actuator arm. If you got that piece to actually work with your seat post, I'd love to see pix. Trinimon's solution will definitely work, it's just not, how do I put it, an elegant solution. Anyway, after I posted this question, I found this in another thread:
    Brand X Dropper Post (internal routing) Confusion-st5601_x1024.jpg

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ing-small-part

Here's the other thread:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/components/b...r-1044268.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Might have to add one of those to my order next time around. Yeah, the square plug in a round hole doesn't seem right but it works. Same thing with my Giant Contact dropper.

If I can find some 6mm (or mill down some 1/4") round stock at home, I'll just make my own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    My Brand-X came with that barrel nut. The instructions do not mention it though. They say to thread the cable through just like post #2.

Name:  bx2.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  78.2 KBName:  bx1.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  48.8 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I found my Brand-X lever kit and it does have that little barrel bushing in it. Go figure, I made up a couple bushings using an old 15/64 drill bit, just before I found my lever kit.