Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Brand-X Ascend dropper

Anyone here have seat time on this? It appears to also be sold under the TranzX name. $140 delivered with internal routing has me intrigued

wiggle.com | Brand-X Ascend - 01 Dropper Seatpost | Seat Posts

Name:  Dropper 01.jpg
Views: 7505
Size:  11.6 KB

Norūwegr
    There's a huge amount of reviews of it on chainreactioncycles.com [who own wiggle]. Mind you the amount of reviews is in part because CRC gave them away to people in trade for a review; so take them with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks. Yeah, the reviews on Chainreaction are what made me curious. Just hoping to find someone with direct experience here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have ordered one this monday, but I'm in another country so shipping will take some time.
    It should arrive around the 9th May, then I will report back with my experience with it.

But it's my first dropper, so dont have any reference points from other brands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    It should arrive today, will update you later

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Coffee Drinker
    Only have three rides on it so far. Works great,, so far. I'm not implying that I expect trouble,,, so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Install was easy. The remote is fine but some think it feels cheap.
    Havet tried it on the trail yet but think it performs great :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    A small update after yesterdays first try with a dropper.
    This is SO much fun going down, you can get a very low center of gravity.

The dropper performed excellent, but havent tried anything else.
    No complaints from here, very happy about it.
    Worth every penny

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Brand-X Ascend dropper-img_3116.jpgI have about 6 months of moderate use and it's been great so far, today I crashed and now the lever doesn't return to the starting point. It still works but I have to manually flick it back to lock. The bottom part of the lever looks to have bent. Can anyone look at theirs and see if they have this gap?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I installed my brand-x dropper last night and didn't enjoy the install experience very much. Purchased from chain reactions, and the trigger wasn't what was shown online or in the instructions. I'm new to the biking world and spent way too long trying to figure out how to hook up the cable. It looks to be the trigger mech from the transx with a long hard attachment for the adjuster. That tripped me up, as did the tiny screw to lock the cable near the seat post. I was hunting for another screw and it was actually inside the end cap and required a tiny hex to tighten. That said, seems smooth now that it's installed. I'll update this in a few months for future googles, after it has had some use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Mine arrived this week, I found the installation to be reasonably straight forward if you read the instructions though a couple times. Initial feel is good though I have no base to compare against. It feels solid enough, the lever perhaps a touch flimsy will see how that lasts. For the price compared to others in market this is excellent value for money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have had mine since February, still running smooth for me. The placement of the lever can be a bit tricky with shimano brakes due to the placement of the bolt on the shimano brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Mine is also working great.
    Have been running for about 2 months and close to 1000km

mtbr member
    These look interesting and very cheap. I'd like to try one on my son's bike but they only come in internal, his bike hasn't got internal routing.

Only a matter of time before solid quality droppers become cheap.

Uncle
    $165 gets you 150mm now, and 120mm is just $109 at CRC. At just over $100, there's no reason to not have a dropper post on my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Brand-X Ascend dropper

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    These look interesting and very cheap. I'd like to try one on my son's bike but they only come in internal, his bike hasn't got internal routing.

Only a matter of time before solid quality droppers become cheap.
    External route version is available now
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod159176

Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    $165 gets you 150mm now, and 120mm is just $109 at CRC. At just over $100, there's no reason to not have a dropper post on my mountain bike.
    Agreed, never has there been a better time to get a dropper post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    External route version is available now.
    I think that one's only available in 125mm drop, which seems to be the way things are going.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    My xl arrived today. There is no play whatsoever in the post, seems pretty solid. I was just going to use an old front shifter for the lever, but I cant find the damn thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I think that one's only available in 125mm drop, which seems to be the way things are going.
    Maybe the 150mm version is still being researched? Cause the original ascend dropper also came in 120mm initially, and the new XL ascend is 150mm. I guess only time will tell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just pulled trigger on one ($110, 125mm, internal routing) for my 2016 Mission 1. Looking forward to finally trying one out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogsfighting View Post
    My xl arrived today. There is no play whatsoever in the post, seems pretty solid. I was just going to use an old front shifter for the lever, but I cant find the damn thing.
    Iīve looking for the specs everywere but couldnīt find them. Can you please measure how long the minimum insertion lenght is ont he ascend xl 150? Thank You!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Brand-X Ascend dropper

Quote Originally Posted by JustWannaHaveFun View Post
    Iīve looking for the specs everywere but couldnīt find them. Can you please measure how long the minimum insertion lenght is ont he ascend xl 150? Thank You!
    I found this bit of info in the Q&A part of the ascend xl page:

As the guy mentioned though, he measured using his tablet, so you should probably add like 10mm to the number he provided to play safe.

mtbr member
    I have these on both my bikes. I've been using the one on my FS since March with no issues.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JustWannaHaveFun View Post
    Did you find the real numbers?

Also, does anyone know the difference in weight between the XL and the 120 internal models?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have the ascend 2, external for about a month now, works great. It does have a very small play but do not feel it while riding, great dropper post.

Coffee Drinker
    Almost a year and it is just as good as new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry27.5 View Post
    It does have a very small play but do not feel it while riding...
    Even the expensive ones can be like that so no big deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Agreed, it doesn't bother me at all, works great on trails.

mtbr member
    Installed my 120 mm ascend post today. Install was a breeze, mostly because I used the housing and cable that was already internally routed from my raceface turbine post that was a constant headache. I think what made it even easier was the fact that I also installed a wolf tooth light action remote at the same time. So all I did was connect it at the post as instructed and then made any adjustments to cable or housing length at the remote end. I hope this post works out and Iíll be sure to come back with my experience once I get some time on it. But holy moly, I think the wolf tooth remote was worth every penny. Just buttery smooth and easy to set up. I think I will be very pleased with this setup as long as the post works as it should.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Iíve used it. Itís great. Little side to side play. Smooth action and you can take it apart to regrease it. Return speed a good but it does take a little more effort to drop it. Itís an air cartridge so no real servicing. If it fails, you simply buy a new one.

Downside is the remote lever. Itís a weird shape and the mounting gets in the way of the brake lever mount. At least with Shimano levers. It also feels a little flimsy. Iím extremely particular when it comes to my cockpit and controls and I couldnít get it positioned the way I like. If you canít get your controls right, I highly suggest using another level if you have one laying around.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    Downside is the remote lever. Itís a weird shape and the mounting gets in the way of the brake lever mount. At least with Shimano levers. It also feels a little flimsy. Iím extremely particular when it comes to my cockpit and controls and I couldnít get it positioned the way I like. If you canít get your controls right, I highly suggest using another level if you have one laying around.
    Wolf Tooth remote, it's the best! Planning to get one in the near future.

mtbr member
    Have been using mine for over a year now with no problems. Plan on getting a better remote bent mine in an incident.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Short-Change-Hero
    These have also been found to be the exact same as the PNW Components droppers. Currently riding a Cascade (have been since this time last year) and it has been a great dropper (external routing version). I did warranty one because I had, what I thought was excessive left to right play in the saddle. PNW was awesome and sent me a replacement dropper right away with postmarked box to ship the old one back to them. After a few months of riding (mind you during heavy riding season I do close to 100 miles a week) the dropper developed the same amount of play (about 3mm left to right off center) but has not increased since then. Still a great dropper and for the price it is stupid simple. PNW even has a video on youtube how to service their stuff now.

mtbr member
    I've got one that came as OEM on my one bike.
    Not too impressed here.
    The lever is not the shifter style, but the vertical style. It is strange, but it is fine really. Thats a minor quirk. The post however, compresses fine, but the return is very poor. It struggles to return at all at temperatures below 40*, and even when warm I ususlly have to pull it up. It never returns to full extension regardless.
    I can find no air pressure adjustment ability on the unit, so it must be a lower end version.

For me so far, my dropper rating overall would be
    Transfer - 10/10
    Reverb - 6.5/10
    Ascent - 2/10
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    I've got one that came as OEM on my one bike.
    Not too impressed here.
    The lever is not the shifter style, but the vertical style. It is strange, but it is fine really. Thats a minor quirk. The post however, compresses fine, but the return is very poor. It struggles to return at all at temperatures below 40*, and even when warm I ususlly have to pull it up. It never returns to full extension regardless.
    I can find no air pressure adjustment ability on the unit, so it must be a lower end version.

For me so far, my dropper rating overall would be
    Transfer - 10/10
    Reverb - 6.5/10
    Ascent - 2/10
    Mine does not have an air adjustment for the dropper, didnt know that any other than the Reverb came with the ability to adjust the return speed. My ride on Tuesday even dipped into the 30s and mine didn't have any trouble returning to the full up position, never experienced any issues with that. The fact of the shifter style vs. vertical style remote really is a moot point as not everyone is running 1x systems nor do they really like a shifter style remote. So the fact that the included lever is not to your liking is more of a personal thing than an actual negative to the product.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Itís a sealed air cartridge so it does not have air pressure adjustment. You get what you get and if or when it fails, youíll need to just buy a brand new dropper. I have a Bontrager dropper with essentially identical internals that have been running as smoothly as the day I got it over a year ago. So they should last long with proper care. You can also unscrew the base of the Ascend to disassemble and clean old grease and replace with new grease to keep it running smoothly.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    After two rides, I am very happy with mine! One thing I noticed is a small amount of grease after each ride forming a small ring at the point of maximum insertion (just below the seat). Is this something to worry about or just excess grease that is working itself out of the post?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    These have also been found to be the exact same as the PNW Components droppers. ... PNW even has a video on youtube how to service their stuff now.
    Good info.

For those considering one of these Brand-X droppers, they are down to $108 right now on CRC for the internal version.

If you're like me, and still running a 2x setup and need a different remote, the boys over at PNW confirmed that their Rainer remote works with these. They are ~$28 shipped with the code "CHASINGEPIC" from @smmokan .

mtbr member
    Just wanted to post my thoughts after a few rides. The wolf tooth remote is awesome, i wonít ever use a different remote.

The brand x post has wored well. Letís just say, it does itís job (so far). It does have quite a bit of play that I do notice while ride and shifting my weight around. My RF turbine doesnít have any play, but is also broke and waiting for word on a warranty repair. Iíd rather have a post that has a little play than a post that is inoperative.

mtbr member
    I run one also,have had zero problems and the stock remote isn't to shabby either,,works very well

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeb View Post
    For those considering one of these Brand-X droppers, they are down to $108 right now on CRC for the internal version.
    At 46% off. Who couldn't resist. Its so cheap so I bought another one today as a backup. I have 2 internals on my fullsus and hardtail. And one external for my son's hardtail. And got a backup external and (on the way) internal. Coming from Reverb. I now prefer Brand-X on all my bikes. As for the sideplay, you wont noticed this when you are pedaling. Only when you purposely move it with your hand.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Good info.

Did they go back up to 135? If not how are they 108?

Nutrailer
    The price did drop for a while but I got caught up in work emails and when I went back the price had gone up.
    However Wiggle are selling it as well and are giving £10 off for new accounts. I just used a different email and still got the discount code.

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Szy_szka View Post
    After two rides, I am very happy with mine! One thing I noticed is a small amount of grease after each ride forming a small ring at the point of maximum insertion (just below the seat). Is this something to worry about or just excess grease that is working itself out of the post?
    I just got one today. I unscrewed the collar to make sure there was grease in there ... thereís quite a bit, so thatís all youíre seeing.

Also, in the instructions it states that only the ascend XL has an air valve ( the 150mm )

Got tired of rebuilding my reverb(s), so i thought Iíd try one of these

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    FYI to anyone wandering -- the paddle/shift style lever on the Ascend doesn't work particularly well mounted on the right hand side. It's meant for the left hand side, and the interface between the clamp and lever is angled such that when you flip it, it doesn't sit cleanly together.

Unsurprising since it wasn't meant to mount this way anyhow.

mtbr member
    I just got a 31.6 external routed Ascend II. Brilliant so far, has a little bit if lateral play that goes unnoticed when riding.

My only complaint is the lever. I have to reach pretty high with my thumb to actuate it, and for various reasons, I cannot position it any other direction. I'll replace the lever with an under-the-bar one eventually.

What remotes work with this post? The shifter end of the cable hooks in at the post, not at the lever. So the remote must have a clamping bolt.

I would really like to repurpose an old shifter but that would be hard to do because it means clamping the cable end at the shifter.

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I just got a 31.6 external routed Ascend II. Brilliant so far, has a little bit if lateral play that goes unnoticed when riding.

My only complaint is the lever. I have to reach pretty high with my thumb to actuate it, and for various reasons, I cannot position it any other direction. I'll replace the lever with an under-the-bar one eventually.

What remotes work with this post? The shifter end of the cable hooks in at the post, not at the lever. So the remote must have a clamping bolt.

I would really like to repurpose an old shifter but that would be hard to do because it means clamping the cable end at the shifter.
    I just put on a Wolftooth light action , it has the pinch bolt at the lever for cable clamping

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I got a Brand-X Ascend II external dropper late last year and it failed catastrophically on a ride the other day. The nylon cord that runs inside the dropper tube and attaches to the cable barrel holder at the collar snapped, leaving me unable to actuate the dropper-- thankfully it was already up, so it wasn't a painful ride home. Wiggle immediately offered a direct replacement or a full-value voucher and I took the replacement.

I also got in contact with Aaron at PNW and he offered to sell me a replacement nylon cord at a very reasonable cost so I'm going to try to repair this one and then I'll have a backup.

Just wanted to spread the good word about customer service from both Wiggle and PNW.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    PNW has one that works: https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...nt=42485524611. You want the Cascade & Pine version.

CHASINGEPIC code == 20% off.

Along those lines -- I installed the Rainier version last night on my Ascend (internal) dropper. Easy install, includes all the noodles etc you need. And feels way more solid that the paddle-version shipped with the Ascend.

mtbr member
    PNW has one that works: https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...nt=42485524611. You want the Cascade & Pine version.

CHASINGEPIC code == 20% off.
    That is the exact same one that came with my Ascend, so I don't want another one. The lever in the photo at the start of this thread is not the lever that comes with the post. That lever forces you to reach up above your grip to actuate the lever, which really hurts after a while. Terrible design!

Instead, I was inspired by the Wolftooth Remount. I bought an old barend from the co-op for a few bucks, cut it down to a 1/2" nub, mounted it inboard of my brake lever, and put the dropper remote there. I'll post photos later. A better lever will be in my future, but this was a great temporary solution.

it looks kinda like this now:
    Brand-X Ascend dropper-1432057488532-4l5mpvowmh8f-630-80.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That is the exact same one that came with my Ascend, so I don't want another one. The lever in the photo at the start of this thread is not the lever that comes with the post. That lever forces you to reach up above your grip to actuate the lever, which really hurts after a while. Terrible design!
    Huh. I mounted mine last night (the Rainier not the Cascade) on the left hand side. It sits below the grip, just inboard of my front shifters. Noodle lays flat on the brake, pointing to the right so it follows the brake housing.

Admittedly I'll need to pay a bit of attention to not hit the dropper when shifting into the front ring. Not an issue for me (typically only have to go between them a few times a ride here in CO), but certainly could be for others.

mtbr member
    Huh. I mounted mine last night (the Rainier not the Cascade) on the left hand side. It sits below the grip, just inboard of my front shifters. Noodle lays flat on the brake, pointing to the right so it follows the brake housing.
    can you post a photo of that setup? I don't have a left shifter (or a right one for that matter), but the only way I could make this fit on my handlebar with my SLX brake lever was to put the paddle in such a place that I had to stretch my thumb up above my knuckles to pull it. if I put the remove paddle lower than that, the noodle sticks straight up in the air, where I know it's going to get mangled.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    can you post a photo of that setup? I don't have a left shifter (or a right one for that matter), but the only way I could make this fit on my handlebar with my SLX brake lever was to put the paddle in such a place that I had to stretch my thumb up above my knuckles to pull it. if I put the remove paddle lower than that, the noodle sticks straight up in the air, where I know it's going to get mangled.
    Yeah -- I'll post one tonight when I'm home. It's still busy in the cockpit, but worked fine on the ride this AM.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I have been hearing for over a year now that PNW has a shifter style remote in the works. Too cheap to spend $70 on the Wolftooth as that is almost half the cost of the dropper itself (nowadays). Mine is still going strong, only complaint at the moment is that i need to adjust the dropper remote cable to tighten it up some as it has gotten loose with so much use and now rattles a bit (barrel adjust doesn't take up enough slack to make tight).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    As I mentioned -- wouldn't love this setup if I had to shift the front chainrings a bunch, but otherwise has worked well for the first few rides since I use the dropper 10x more than the shifter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    These have also been found to be the exact same as the PNW Components droppers.
    I have owned the Brand-X 125mm internal dropper for over a year now. I recently ran across the PNW droppers and as I looked at photos on their site my EXACT first thought was "This is a Brand-X post!".............PNW just charges an extra $100!

2000+ miles and I haven't been able to kill my BX yet. Got it for 90$ shipped on Black Friday. The remote is cheesy but I had a spare WT and used it instead. Regardless, Killer value for sure!
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have a like new KS Lev 150mm that came on my Release 2. It's too long and I need a shorter dropper. I'm going to give the old Brand X a shot if I can sell the Lev. I hope it's as decent as you guys say. I put the Lev up on eBay for $200.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I have a like new KS Lev 150mm that came on my Release 2. It's too long and I need a shorter dropper. I'm going to give the old Brand X a shot if I can sell the Lev. I hope it's as decent as you guys say. I put the Lev up on eBay for $200.
    I have Ascend II, just replaced the remote with Wolftooth remote, it's now even better Not that there was anything wrong with original remote but you know.. when I thought there is nothing else to change on my bike I saw wolftooth remote and just had to

mtbr member
    I have Ascend II, just replaced the remote with Wolftooth remote, it's now even better Not that there was anything wrong with original remote but you know.. when I thought there is nothing else to change on my bike I saw wolftooth remote and just had to
    the original remote on the Ascend II was f-ing useless to me. I rode with it once, played around with the lever position some more, rode with it again, then took it off and put my rigid post back on until I sort out the lever situation. the remote forced me to press my thumb in such a contorted motion that I have a weird ache in my hand that has not gone away in two weeks. that remote lever is going in the trash asap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I got one of this. And I'm a happy camper.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...e-light-action

Not only Brand-X produced a crappy lever. Also Fox transfer and Giant. IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jun austria View Post
    I got one of this. And I'm a happy camper.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...e-light-action

Not only Brand-X produced a crappy lever. Also Fox transfer and Giant. IMHO.
    Yep, definitely loving the wolftooth lever, I have Shimano XT breaks, I spec II, got compatible wolftooth lever, perfect placement now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brand-X Ascend dropper-img_20180520_233130.jpg  

Brand-X Ascend dropper-img_20180520_233155.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hi guys! I was wondering if the wolftooth remote can work with Brandx dropper? My friend said no because of the cable is opposite(The ball thing starts at actuator) where he said it won't work or tight fitting or might damage the acutator area. Anyone had any problem with it unless i go for Raceface turbine X1 remote to save hassle. Thanks!

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Poch Maui View Post
    Hi guys! I was wondering if the wolftooth remote can work with Brandx dropper? My friend said no because of the cable is opposite(The ball thing starts at actuator) where he said it won't work or tight fitting or might damage the acutator area. Anyone had any problem with it unless i go for Raceface turbine X1 remote to save hassle. Thanks!
    It works, i use one. Wolftooth has a pinch bolt at the lever for the cable so you end up cutting off the cable end

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Poch Maui View Post
    Go for the WolfTooth due to its ballbearing leverage that makes it sooo smooth. I have it on my 3 bikes using internal and external Brand-X dropper post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    It works, i use one. Wolftooth has a pinch bolt at the lever for the cable so you end up cutting off the cable end
    Okay thanks!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jun austria View Post
    Go for the WolfTooth due to its ballbearing leverage that makes it sooo smooth. I have it on my 3 bikes using internal and external Brand-X dropper post.
    Nice! Okay i go for it. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Be aware that if you buy the Acsend II externally routed post, you'll have to spend another 50-60 bucks on a decent remote. The included remote is utter shite. I spent a lot of time and a few extra bucks trying to make shifters work with it, but the idiotic design means that the cut end of the cable has to be clamped at the handlebar end. I tried using an old shifter as a remote but it ended up not working. YMMV with converting shifters but mine was a big waste of time.

There are probably dropper posts on the market that work just as well but are a better value because they come with a usable remote lever.

mtbr member
    There are probably dropper posts on the market that work just as well but are a better value because they come with a usable remote lever.
    Sadly, most of the cheaper posts, and a lot of the not so cheap ones, don't have very good remotes. It's a common problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've been running this dropper for about 6 months now and it has the exact lever on it that the one in the OPs post has and I haven't had any problems with it, in fact I kind of like it. I'm coming from a Reverb though, which I thought the remote was terrible and tired out my thumb by the end of a ride. I've got the 150mm dropper and and has been absolutely flawless so far except for some unnoticeable lateral play.

mtbr member
    strange- after using this seatpost a few times, a weird ache started in my left thumb that has not completely gone away in about a month. I am going to ask my doctor about it. your thumb naturally wants to bend in toward the middle of your palm, but this lever forces you to unwrap your thumb from under your grip (already awkward) then reach your thumb up toward your index finger, then push your thumb down, using the side of your thumb instead of the pad of your thumb.

Brand-X Ascend dropper-1197578d1526070180-struggling-dropper-remote-position-20180511_132451.jpg

it does not sound like a big deal at first, but when you ride for 3-4 hours at a time and use it dozens of times, it starts to take its toll on that joint.

I had to start a separate thread about the issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    strange- after using this seatpost a few times, a weird ache started in my left thumb that has not completely gone away in about a month. I am going to ask my doctor about it. your thumb naturally wants to bend in toward the middle of your palm, but this lever forces you to unwrap your thumb from under your grip (already awkward) then reach your thumb up toward your index finger, then push your thumb down, using the side of your thumb instead of the pad of your thumb.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1197578d1526070180-struggling-dropper-remote-position-20180511_132451.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	1204236

it does not sound like a big deal at first, but when you ride for 3-4 hours at a time and use it dozens of times, it starts to take its toll on that joint.

Get a paddle style lever, perhaps? More ergonomically, if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Get a paddle style lever, perhaps? More ergonomically, if you ask me.
    yes, read the thread I linked. it's been discussed. limited options because of the seatpost design and where the cable end hooks up, at the post and not at the lever. for the price of this seatpost and a better lever, I could have just bought a better seatpost that came with a non-sucky remote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    yes, read the thread I linked. it's been discussed. limited options because of the seatpost design and where the cable end hooks up, at the post and not at the lever. for the price of this seatpost and a better lever, I could have just bought a better seatpost that came with a non-sucky remote.
    Ohh, I've read that thread before, commented as well, lol!
    I guess if you're penny-pinching it would be more difficult to sokve your problem.

mtbr member
    at this point, it's just a matter of principal rather than penny pinching. I feel like an idiot for purchasing a seatpost that requires that I buy a piece of molded plastic with a bearing in it that costs 1/3 the price of the seatpost itself. in fact, my thumb knuckle still hurts (need to get that checked out) so I have been riding with my rigid seatpost just as fast and aggressive as my brief experience with the dropper, which makes me wonder if a dropper is of any use to me at all, other than adding weight and complexity to my bike.

meh, just bought a KS Southpaw. <$35. going to put a knarp on it and call it a day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    at this point, it's just a matter of principal rather than penny pinching. I feel like an idiot for purchasing a seatpost that requires that I buy a level that cost half as much as the seatpost itself. in fact, my thumb knuckle still hurts (need to get that checked out) and I have been riding with my rigid seatpost just as fast and aggressive as my brief experience with the dropper, which makes me wonder if a dropper is of any use to me at all, other than adding weight and complexity to my bike.
    Ah, I see where you're coming from. I'd like to look at it from another angle though - even if you spend extra dollars on another lever, you still save money overall as compared to getting more expensive dropper posts which may or may not perform better than the brand-x.

Nutrailer

Presumably you've tried to improve the levers position relative to your thumb by rotating it downwards.
    The only reason I ask is that my Giant dropper came with a similar lever and I had it much lower relative to the grip/bars.
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    yes, but rotating that remove lever down makes the cable stick straight up in the air, where it's bound to get caught on something. trust me, I spent hours faffing about with that thing and could never get it in anything that resembled a ergonomic position.

I ordered a new lever today, just annoyed that a product is being sold with a vital component that should go from the box to the trashcan immediately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Just try turning the lever further down to avoid the "twist" on your thumb. Try few angles 'till you don't feel the pressure on your thumb anymore. Also don't forget the tension adjuster. You just need a motion of 1 cm(?) to activate the dropper post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    yes, but rotating that remove lever down makes the cable stick straight up in the air, where it's bound to get caught on something. trust me, I spent hours faffing about with that thing and could never get it in anything that resembled a ergonomic position.

I ordered a new lever today, just annoyed that a product is being sold with a vital component that should go from the box to the trashcan immediately.
    Oops. didn't see your reply. Anyway, this is a common problem for this design no matter what brand.

loud hubs save lives
    I have the standard 120mm Ascend and i recently received an XL version as well for another bike

I can confirm 2 things. The XL dropper does have the schrader valve to adjust air pressure. Also, the lever on the XL version is different ( better ) than the standard version

XL version on top, standard on bottom.

I replaced the standard with a Wolftooth because itís relatively flimsy and also didnít work well with my shimano clamps.

The standard version has the cable end at the lever and the little pinch bolt at the dropper .. the XL version is the opposite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    They must have changed some things around on the levers. I purchased both a 120mm and 150mm towards the end of 2017 and both had the same lever (bottom in your picture) and both have the cable end at the lever and the little cylinder with set-screw at the seat post. I swapped between the two posts without touching the lever or cable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Agreed, it doesn't bother me at all, works great on trails.
    When you say play, do you mean rotational play? Mine (TranzX on a Marin) has just a degree or so of rotational play. Only notice it with hand on saddle, not riding. It's like the saddle clamp is a skosh loose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Anyone knows a similar version with offset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by srmanuel View Post
    Anyone knows a similar version with offset?
    There aren't many droppers with lay-back, which I assume is what you mean? The fall-line, Specialized command post, some of the cheaper KS post and that's about it really.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Sadly, most of the cheaper posts, and a lot of the not so cheap ones, don't have very good remotes. It's a common problem.
    This is defintitely true. Luckily enough there are enough options for remotes (like Tranz-X) and not all are as expensive as the Wolftooth.

@Mack_Turtle I feel your pain, it seems the external dropper you have makes it quite hard to come up with alternatives due to the direction of the cable

Initially I thought you could be helped by a Cheapo TranzX remote, but that won't work due to this issue.

mtbr member
    I got this & a Thompson elite dropper on another bike.The Thompson is a way better post.I say this because I've had it for over a year & there's absolutely no play in the post what so ever.Teamed with the wolf tooth remote it's as smooth as butter(the og remote is rubbish).The ascend after 2 months has a couple of mil's. of play both side to side & backwards & fwd's.You don't feel it when you're out on the trail,so not a problem & it still operates nice & smoothly.Although the remote aint a WT it's a lot better than what you get on posts that cost twice as much.So for the money & IMHO a no brainer

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 5'10" 32"inseam. I'm on a bike with 7.5" from top of seat tube to the bend. With the included seatpost (350mm) I'm need another .5" to ride xc style with a slight knee bend. I'm wondering if this seatpost would fit my bike and along long enough extension. I'm more xc/trail - not enduro. Any advice for a newbie with seat-dropper? The price is not back at $135. Thanks.

SRAM Eagle Full Suspension 29er Mountain Bikes Save Up to 60% Off 29er 120mmTravel All Mountain SRAM Eagle 1x12 , 2019 Motobecane HAL29 NX EAGLE 1X12 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM Eagle 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox

BAJ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Price is back to $108 for Black Friday or Black November or whatever.

So question for the group, I was thinking of getting one of these for my older 29er with a 27.2mm seat tube, is it still going to be worth while with the 105mm (~4 inches) as the only option?

Thanks,
    -Brad
    '16 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    '10 Motobecane Ti 29er
    '03 Giant Rainier
    '92 Giant ATX770

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Picked up a 150mm yesterday from CRC. Got addtional discount for signing up for a account. Good deal!

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    Price is back to $108 for Black Friday or Black November or whatever.

So question for the group, I was thinking of getting one of these for my older 29er with a 27.2mm seat tube, is it still going to be worth while with the 105mm (~4 inches) as the only option?

Thanks,
    -Brad
    I just ordered one. It would be nice to have a little more travel but 4" is still a lot more than none and will help allow me to raise the seat post to a high pedaling position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristian94568 View Post
    Picked up a 150mm yesterday from CRC. Got addtional discount for signing up for a account. Good deal!
    Me too!! Now just to decide if I should use the supplied remote or upgrade to the Wolf Tooth remote. I'm sure the WT is better but will the stock remote be good enough?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb7106 View Post
    Me too!! Now just to decide if I should use the supplied remote or upgrade to the Wolf Tooth remote. I'm sure the WT is better but will the stock remote be good enough?
    Imma gonna run with the stock option for at least until Spring.

BAJ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I just ordered one. It would be nice to have a little more travel but 4" is still a lot more than none and will help allow me to raise the seat post to a high pedaling position.
    I pulled the trigger on the 27.2 x 105mm as well. Our dirt season could be done here with recent rains and a lot of freeze/thaw in our 10-day forecast, so I'm probably going to order a 27.2 x 30.9 seat post shim so I can try this out in my fatty over the winter.
    '16 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    '10 Motobecane Ti 29er
    '03 Giant Rainier
    '92 Giant ATX770

mtbr member
    These are the same cartridge based posts as the giants, right?

I went with a 150mm brand x. Its a bigass post and I cut it reaaaaalllly close. Im on SPD pedals now, and If I went to low profile flats the post would be too tall. Its that close.

Im only a few rides in and it works and feels great, but beware of the size!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just received my 27.2 dropper for my 26er Turner. Looking forward to the install tomorrow! Ill make do with 4 inches.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by drenzoni View Post
    I just received my 27.2 dropper for my 26er Turner. Looking forward to the install tomorrow! Ill make do with 4 inches.
    So did it come with the shifter style remote or the one with the lever rotating around the handlebar? I don't know why they show both in the photos and don't clarify what you actually get. I assumed the shifter type was for use on a CX but now I'm not too sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by drenzoni View Post
    How much did it weigth exactly? With and without cable/lever please.

Thanks man

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry I don't have access to a accurate scale. Bathroom one rounds to nearest .5 lbs. However, my Turner is stupid light so not really concerned. Was right under 24 lbs with a Thomson post.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by srmanuel View Post
    How much did it weigth exactly? With and without cable/lever please.

Thanks man

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Don't ask

Both droppers I have purchased I took out of the box and said "yikes!"

But it is worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast