Bottom brackets - thread fit 30 mm spindle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Bottom brackets - thread fit 30 mm spindle

I think I know the answer to this, but can you use any thread fit bottom bracket that uses 30 mm spindle with each other? Like raceface uses 30 mm spindle and so does ethirteen. So could you use a ethirteen bottom bracket with a raceface crank? Or wheels manufacturing 30 mm with ethirteen crank?

I assume you can?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Generally yes. Spacers or preload methods may vary. An exception is BB30 cranks that have short 30mm spindles. There may be a few others oddball standards like this.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So I thought that Id re grease the race face bearings to get a little more life out of them. Pried off the dust cover and the inside bearing cover. Took out the plastic ring that has sort of teeth that fit between the balls inside the bearings. But could not get the plastic tooth ring back in. Greased it well, put the cover then dust cover back on. Seems to spin much better with the new grease and feels solid. But am I looking at some sort of eminent failure with the plastic tooth ring thing out? Is it a necessary part?

mtbr member
    Yes, it is. It prevents the balls from rubbing against each other (ouch!) and also keeps them spaced equally around the races. Without that spacer they can all move to one side.

That's how most all cartridge bearings are assembled. Take an outer race, put the balls in all toward one side, slip the inner race in, then spread the balls around and put the cage in.

BB bearings, particularly road BBs, often only have a small amount of grease to reduce drag. I'll remove a seal and pack in more grease in these when new. It'll increase drag a little for a while, but the bearings last much longer as filling with grease helps exclude moisture and dirt in addition to what the seals do.

Never direct a fast stream of water such that it hits the gap between the cranks and BB as it can force water and grit into the BB.

What I do is with the chain off the ring, turn the crank very slowly with a finger tip. If it feels smooth, it'll be OK for awhile. If I can feel roughness, I'll plan on replacing it.
    What, me worry?

Trail Rider
    Yes, most 30mm bottom brackets should be compatible. The spacer is important as previously stated.

With the right tools, you can remove the race face bearings from the cups and replace them with new bearings. I installed Enduro Zero Ceramic Grade 3 6806 LLB Sealed Cartridge Bearing 30 x 42 x 7mm, and now it spins like butter. Ceramic bearings last quite a long time.

I'm a bike mechanic though, so having a bearing puller and bearing presses is par for the course. A new race face bb is $60 msrp, which is considerably cheaper than the tools required.
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks all. Im just going to buy another one. Not worth the hassle to try to fix, change bearings etc for 60 bucks and 15 minutes to swap it out...