Bling vs weight cutting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Bling vs weight cutting

I'm looking to upgrade the cockpit on my hardtail. I like to personalize my bikes and am often torn between purchasing components based on weight vs looks. I'm not a complete weight weenie, but it is a factor for me.

Out of curiosity wondering how others go about it. Weight? Style? Try to find a happy medium?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Wouldn't fit and ergonomics be most important for a cockpit?
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    Wouldn't fit and ergonomics be most important for a cockpit?
    Of course. Fit trumps all. The question assumed thatís figured out and you just wanting something ďnicerĒ (which is pretty subjective).

mtbr member
    I like lightweight but it's relative to the application. Unless you go all out, a FS trailbike isn't going to be that light anyway and saving some grams here and there won't make a consequential difference. If you're shooting for the lightest possible XC rig, then yeah, weight is more important. My road bike is under 15 lb ready to ride and has carbon bottle cages. My FS trail bike is 28 lb and I have a plastic cage on it.

How you personally trade that off for cosmetics is a whole other question. Looks wise, I'm fine with anything as long as it isn't too outlandish so I weigh function, weight and price more heavily than looks, so to speak.
    Do the math.

Always in the wrong gear
    Little things like bolts or seatpost clamps... bling all the way.

All things equal, like 2 stems, one is light and black, one is more grams and blingy.... I go with what is most aesthetically pleasing and matches the rest of the accents.

For bars, assuming that they have the same rise/sweep/width... depends on price and material.

Iím currently playing the same game to a degree. Spank Oozy Vibrocore 780 bars look so nice in anodized blue... but are 300g.
    A 780mm Carbon bar is like 100g less.
    Iíve read some awesome things about the Vibrocore foam, and the price is nicer, but... that weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    Little things like bolts or seatpost clamps... bling all the way.

All things equal, like 2 stems, one is light and black, one is more grams and blingy.... I go with what is most aesthetically pleasing and matches the rest of the accents.

For bars, assuming that they have the same rise/sweep/width... depends on price and material.

Iím currently playing the same game to a degree. Spank Oozy Vibrocore 780 bars look so nice in anodized blue... but are 300g.
    A 780mm Carbon bar is like 100g less.
    Iíve read some awesome things about the Vibrocore foam, and the price is nicer, but... that weight.
    I've got the Oozy Trail Vibrocore 760 bar and it weighs in at 265gr on my scale. I trimmed it down to 740. It depends on how much that weight savings matters to you. Lol...with that said...I'm replacing it with an Enve M6. I can't get used to the 6 degree sweep on the Spank bar.

I also replaced some of the bolts on my bike with Ti and aluminum.

I'll typically go for the lighter parts if the price is reasonable. Pretty much all my stuff is discounted in some way.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Recently bling-ed out my XC ride with a Hixon SL bar/stem combo. Had a ritchey WCS stem and raceface Next SL bar. Both high end components, but the stem was a major PITA with it's T20 (not 25) bolts that were reverse-mounted so nearly impossible to get without a ratchet and T20 not found on most multitools, unlike T25. Then with the bar, it was shorter than I thought it'd be, something like 720 or 740 when I thought it'd be 760, so with that ending up much shorter than I expected, I wasn't happy with all of this. I ran this setup for two seasons, but recently upgraded with the Syncros bar, and I'm super-happy with it. It's meant for enduro, unlike the parts I had, much wider like modern bars, and 5g lighter than that previous combo. That ain't much weight saved obviously, but it's far more functional IMO. Far better strength, width, sweep, etc., all coming in slightly lighter. Not so bad when you figure I had to buy both a stem and a bar to fix this issue, and it looks exotic as heck. I really fretted over the reach (length) for days, going back and forth, but ended up nailing it perfect IMO.

Not many bikes have this, so it is very unique, but I found it to be very functional for my purpose. I'd rather have an "overbuilt" cockpit that is less likely to fail when pushing hard, even with XC. I'm high-expert when I race XC and this stuff gets pushed hard.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I've been riding for soo long now, I've been through all the various fads and stages. Weight, bling, cheap, expensive, brand, etc. After the dust settled going through those phases, I've learned to focus on function and dependability. If it works and is dependable, I don't care how much it weighs, looks like, who makes it, etc.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Durability is the main priority. After that I just like it to look clean. Buying a bunch of anodized bits (especially purple) and sticking them on the bike isn't my idea of style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Appreciate the input everyone! Thanks for helping with my overthinking. I am planning on experimenting with cockpit dimensions (sweep, stem length, rise) so I'll probably keep to cheap and functional for the moment. Once fully dialed in, I'll splurge on something "nicer".

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Garza View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade the cockpit on my hardtail. I like to personalize my bikes and am often torn between purchasing components based on weight vs looks. I'm not a complete weight weenie, but it is a factor for me.

Out of curiosity wondering how others go about it. Weight? Style? Try to find a happy medium?
    I don't give half a shit about either of those parameters. I want kit that's durable and easy to live with. Get what makes you happy.
    Last edited by scottzg; 06-28-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    ^^^ He said light weight and looks is what makes him happy back in his original post.
    Do the math.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ^^^ He said light weight and looks is what makes him happy back in his original post.
    He also asked how others go about it.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Bikesexual
    If you dig deep enough you can find bling and reliable. Weight, that's another story.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check