Bike Yoke Sagma Saddle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Bike Yoke Sagma Saddle

Has anyone had an opportunity to ride with it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

orthonormal
    I just had my first ride on mine yesterday. 142mm width, coming from a 150mm WTB Volt. Install on a OneUp V2 was a little tricky because there's little space between the post head and the saddle shell. I ended up using a strip of plastic to hold the bolt heads in place while I got the threads started.

The Sagma felt small for a moment but I quickly forgot I was riding a new saddle. That's a good thing, because the last time I swapped my Volt for a Specialized Phenom, I didn't forget about it for a moment, not until I took the evil thing off my bike.

My ride started with a 9 mile, 1800' climb with a very mellow grade for the first 4 miles. I started thinking about the saddle again about 6 miles in when I noticed how it was rocking back and forth slightly and springing back with each pedal stroke. Nice!

I eventually felt like I needed to spend some time climbing out of the saddle but that's always true on this climb. It's a comfortable saddle but not that comfortable! Here's where the shorter nose came into play. My bike has a 76 degree STA and I have the saddle forward on the rails. My Volt hits me in the butt when I climb out of the saddle unless I lower it. The Sagma gives me an extra 25mm space, just enough to alleviate that minor annoyance. Again, nice!

It's going to take more time before I decide if the Sagma will permanently replace my Volt. I like the basic shape of the Volt better when i'm just sitting but the rocking motion of the Sagma is a definite plus and it feels like it may even help a bit with power output. Ideally, I could trim an inch off the nose of my Volt and replace the rail system with the Sagma's.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Elitest thrill junkie
    Mine just arrived today. Smaller than I expected. It's going to be hard to gauge how well it works given how tech my usual trails are. One of the reasons I got it though was to have a little compliance for something that I intend to pedal for hours on end...that I can combine with a dropper post. Trying to address issues I had last week during the Iditarod with dis/re-mounting and pedaling for extended periods seated, unable to stand (like 8-12hrs straight).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Mine just arrived today. Smaller than I expected. It's going to be hard to gauge how well it works given how tech my usual trails are. One of the reasons I got it though was to have a little compliance for something that I intend to pedal for hours on end...that I can combine with a dropper post. Trying to address issues I had last week during the Iditarod with dis/re-mounting and pedaling for extended periods seated, unable to stand (like 8-12hrs straight).
    There's an element of added comfort to the ride but it's not really compliance. More like it rocks back and forth with my hips and returns a bit of that energy to me via the rebounding elastomers. Interested to read your impressions.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    There's an element of added comfort to the ride but it's not really compliance. More like it rocks back and forth with my hips and returns a bit of that energy to me via the rebounding elastomers. Interested to read your impressions.
    Yeah, not looking for bump absorption per-say, just some compliance for extended seated pedaling on relatively flat surfaces. I'll be trying it out tonight.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    No hard conclusions. The short length didn't seem to be an issue. Was uncomofortable at first, but I tilted the front end down and it was much better. I probably over-did that, so I'm going to back it off again and see, but did a 20 mile ride and it didn't bother me. Will really need a lot more miles IMO to really know. The shock absorption seems pretty nice, it's not huge, it's subtle, but there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No hard conclusions. The short length didn't seem to be an issue. Was uncomofortable at first, but I tilted the front end down and it was much better. I probably over-did that, so I'm going to back it off again and see, but did a 20 mile ride and it didn't bother me. Will really need a lot more miles IMO to really know. The shock absorption seems pretty nice, it's not huge, it's subtle, but there.
    I have the SQlabs 611 it is designed to move with you. Do you think that this one is better?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I have the SQlabs 611 it is designed to move with you. Do you think that this one is better?
    Still not sure, I have about 60 miles so far on the Sagma, but I'm still tweaking it a bit, back and forth, etc. I was checking out the SQ labs at the bike shop the other day. Perhaps I'll pick one of those up to compare (Trying to set up both of my fatbikes similar, with droppers and some compliance in the saddle).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Did another 26 miles or so, mostly flat, yesterday. This definitely hasn't been a golden bb to me, still hurting my a$$. I'm going to play with the setup a bit more. The length doesn't seem to be a big deal, but it's not playing nice with my sit bones.

orthonormal
    I'm going back to the Volt for a while.

Elitest thrill junkie
    So I thought maybe I was warming up to the Sagma and it's adjusted to my a$$ more, but just rode my other bike with SLR and man, no comparison. SLR and it's rounded-profile are far more comfortable. I can definitely feel the bump-absorption of the Sagma, but I can't use it as a long-distance saddle. I also notice that on my FS bikes, it tends to not matter as much either way. This (the Sagma and SLR) are on hardtails.