Best flats for racing, composite vs alu- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

Best flats for racing, composite vs alu

I've spent the last 2 years doing about 50% of my rides clipless, trying to get to a point where I felt comfortable enough, and was actually faster, for it to make sense for me to race on them. I'm still slower on clipless. so thinking i'll just commit to flats for the remainder of the years racing (mostly enduro, some DH)

My issue's with flats have been mostly pedaling through rough sections, both my feet getting knocked around and off the pedals, and pedal strikes. I know they're gonna happen, so I want a pedal that can take a rock strike and not get too hung up. I was on chesters last year, they took rock strikes very well but didnt have enough ultimate grip.

My other issue's been on the super rough downhill sections, my feet slipping forward, and hard hits when your foot gets a little light knocking it into an awkward position on the pedal.

I dont know if I just need the ultimate grippiest pedal so my feet dont get knocked around while pedaling and in rough sections, or if even the grippiest pedals wont keep my feet glued enough so i need something that allows me to readjust.

seems like in terms of all out grip, theres not really any composite pedals i know of that can match the grippiest aluminum pedals. Though it sounds like for rock strikes, composites where its at. or i need an aluminum pedal that can really handle a rock strike well without hanging up.

Price isnt an issue, though no reason to waste money if i dont need to. any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scandy1 View Post
    I've spent the last 2 years doing about 50% of my rides clipless, trying to get to a point where I felt comfortable enough, and was actually faster, for it to make sense for me to race on them. I'm still slower on clipless. so thinking i'll just commit to flats for the remainder of the years racing (mostly enduro, some DH)

My issue's with flats have been mostly pedaling through rough sections, both my feet getting knocked around and off the pedals, and pedal strikes. I know they're gonna happen, so I want a pedal that can take a rock strike and not get too hung up. I was on chesters last year, they took rock strikes very well but didnt have enough ultimate grip.

My other issue's been on the super rough downhill sections, my feet slipping forward, and hard hits when your foot gets a little light knocking it into an awkward position on the pedal.

I dont know if I just need the ultimate grippiest pedal so my feet dont get knocked around while pedaling and in rough sections, or if even the grippiest pedals wont keep my feet glued enough so i need something that allows me to readjust.

seems like in terms of all out grip, theres not really any composite pedals i know of that can match the grippiest aluminum pedals. Though it sounds like for rock strikes, composites where its at. or i need an aluminum pedal that can really handle a rock strike well without hanging up.

Price isnt an issue, though no reason to waste money if i dont need to. any recommendations?
    Aluminum & composite, same grip. Some will have longer sharper pins, thats what makes diff. Unless you get crazy beartrap pedals, i have a pair of GTs, used them for a dual slalom years ago, crashed, never again. It was ugly even with pads! And good shoes.
    I currently use aluminum with rounded pins with 5.10/Addidas and have not had problems with slippage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scandy1 View Post
    ...My issue's with flats have been mostly pedaling through rough sections, both my feet getting knocked around and off the pedals...
    That's the thing going back to flats. With clipless pedals you forget how to keep your feet on the pedals through the rough stuff, even pedal strikes. After 20+ years clipless and ~3 on flats, I've gotten much better, but still working on it. When I'm tired and lazy, that's when they come off.
    What, me worry?