The best enduro clipless pedal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

The best enduro clipless pedal

Hi guys, I will be replacing my old Shimano pedals. I usually ride enduro tracks. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The CrankBros Mallet E has been good for me. I like the amount of float, and the support of the platform.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I used the Crank Brothers Mallet DH on my enduro bike, love it! Reasons are the same as TXrocks from the post before mine.

Sent from my LIO-N29 using Tapatalk

Single Track Mind
    Time Speciale. Float, support (platform with pins), adjustable release, all weather consistency. Honestly the best pedals I have ever used.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TXrocks View Post
    The CrankBros Mallet E has been good for me. I like the amount of float, and the support of the platform.
    Same. I also use the "long spindle" version and "easy release" cleats, it's been a great setup for Enduro races. Easy to get a foot down when necessary; then still somewhat ok with a platform when I can't quite get clipped in in time.

Always in the wrong gear
    Shimano Saint M820.

Shimano consistency. Shimano durability. Useable platform for when not actually clipped in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    Same. I also use the "long spindle" version and "easy release" cleats, it's been a great setup for Enduro races. Easy to get a foot down when necessary; then still somewhat ok with a platform when I can't quite get clipped in in time.
    I keep wanting to try the long spindles. I still run the standard cleats. There are times I thought about putting the easy releases on, especially at the races that it's super loose or blown out. Do you think you can clip in easier with the easy releases?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Mallet DH/E and the Saint are by top choices. I have used an SPD before but i'm leaning towards mallet just because of the float. How about the durability of Mallet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrick07 View Post
    Mallet DH/E and the Saint are by top choices. I have used an SPD before but i'm leaning towards mallet just because of the float. How about the durability of Mallet?

Almost 2000 miles on mine. We have tons of rocks here, mine take a beating. They have been trouble free

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Many pro riders using Mallet E or Mallet DH and im sure they're great, but im used to Shimano multi release cleats, so Funn Ripper, Saint PD-M820 or XT PD-M8120 (depends on the bike).

As for the Mallet, how much flow (in degrees) its having compared to Shimano SPD pedals?

mtbr member
    I second the Time pedals. I use Time pedals on my bikes beside my road bike. Easy and consistent to clip in/ out and work great is weather, snow and mud.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TXrocks View Post
    I keep wanting to try the long spindles. I still run the standard cleats. There are times I thought about putting the easy releases on, especially at the races that it's super loose or blown out. Do you think you can clip in easier with the easy releases?
    I think clipping IN feels the same with both cleats. Long spindles were a huge improvement for me also because I wear a size 12 shoe. With the standard spindles, I was sometimes hitting the crank before disengaging. Led to a few embarrassing topple overs...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Many pro riders using Mallet E or Mallet DH and im sure they're great, but im used to Shimano multi release cleats, so Funn Ripper, Saint PD-M820 or XT PD-M8120 (depends on the bike).

As for the Mallet, how much flow (in degrees) its having compared to Shimano SPD pedals?
    Each Crank Brothers cleat set come with one piece of 0 degree and another piece of 6 degree float. Also, the release angle is 15 degrees.
    The above info is for their standard release cleat set btw. I believe they have an easy release set which has like 10 degrees release angle.

Sent from my LIO-N29 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    I think clipping IN feels the same with both cleats. Long spindles were a huge improvement for me also because I wear a size 12 shoe. With the standard spindles, I was sometimes hitting the crank before disengaging. Led to a few embarrassing topple overs...
    I am in 13's I have had a couple spills from crank being a certain spot that made it harder to get out, I may go ahead and order a set of spindles. I should put a set of bearings in just for the preventative maintenance.