BB compatibility options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

BB compatibility options

Hello, once upon a time I was an avid rider and knew my way around bike maintenance pretty well with the exception of crank spacing and bottom brackets.

It has been 5 years and 2 kids since I put any serious miles on my bike and oh my....what did you people do to the industry?! 10 speeds, 11 speeds, 12 speeds!? I just read up on this Boost standard.

Anyway, I am not going to go out and drop a few grand on a bike until I know I can commit to the sport again. That said my bike needs some repairs and updates, one of which is a desire to try a 1x set up.

My long winded question here has to do with BB options I might have. The bike has a TruVativ BB-06-PSPL- 113/68a with Isoflow splines, basically obsolete. I can find options with the 68mm English threads, but the spindle length is throwing me. Mine is 113mm, but the majority of the options are 98 - 118 skipping 113.

How much does this matter, and can someone suggest a style that will give me the most options when picking out a new crank set?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    A new modern crank will almost certainly have a spindle attached, unlike old stuff where the spindle was part of the BB. In this case, you'll need a BB that fits the bike's BB shell, which sounds like BSA threaded, and also fits the spindle of the crank, which could be 24mm, 30mm, GXP, or DUB, depending on the crank you choose.
    What, me worry?