mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Bars and wrist angle?

Coming from road cycling I’ve noticed that the bars on my bike put my wrist at an unnatural angle and after a while it gets uncomfortable. These bars supposedly have 5 degrees of backsweep. Will going to 8-9 degrees make a big difference?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Maybe.
    It took a while...as in many years....to find that my wrists are happiest at 20 degrees.
    More than that doesn't work for me.

I built up a bike a few weeks ago and threw on some old 5ish degree bars that were laying around.....
    After a few rides, I ended up putting on some 20s

mtbr member
    Are you sure it's only 5 degrees of Backsweep or is it 5 degrees of UPsweep? What bar is it? Most bars I've had and come across usually have somewhere between 7-9 degrees of backsweep and then 4-6 degrees of upsweep. A lesser sweep bar will put your wrist in an "un-natural"position if you do not have your elbows bent in an "attacK" like position, they are actually designed that way to "pull" you into that position for better control.
    This is mainly for once you're riding on actual trail that is technical or descending where you're out the saddle, or leaned forward, seated attacking/tackling a climb.

Kind of hard to be seated and pedaling with your elbows bent enough if you're now beginning to ride MTBs, it's something you have to practice at until it becomes a more natural to you thing. This being said, I recently injured my thumb and also have noticed that with the riding I like to do having to be in that "attack" position to keep my wrist comfortable was annoying, and so got a much higher 16 degree sweep bar to try and am really liking it on my rigid 29+ - my regular bars are normally betwee8-9 degree back and 5 up sweep.

Some things you can do/try to help with this is try rotating the bar around at different angles to see how that effects the up and back sweep, what may seem like a small change (5-10 degree rotation) can make a huge difference.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    The bars are raceface ride 35x760 hat came stock on my heckler, the spec I found said 5 degrees, at least on the nashbar site.

mtbr member
    Yup, seems you are right, 5 back, 6 up I always looked at them (RF bars) on other people's bikes and thought how flat they looked with so little sweep, did not realise it really was so little. Two things I think of here, one is that that bike isn't really made to be pedaled along on flat terrain, mainly up and down, so that bar "should" work well, but then also two, there are loads of bars out there with 9 degree backsweep standard, so why not give one a go. Heck why not ask the shop you got the bike from if they have anything on hand that they could loan you to see if it's any better and help you decide just how much you need?

One other thing, I find that the selection/options opens up quite a bit if you go to a 31.8 clamp bar, think in the 35 clamp you find a lot shallower swept bars for more aggressive riding, and IMHO, 35 is just too damn stiff in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
    The bars are raceface ride 35x760 hat came stock on my heckler, the spec I found said 5 degrees, at least on the nashbar site.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    You can always try rotating the bar up or down first...and see if that makes a difference.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...it-Set-Up,1490

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use bars with a 20 degree sweep- love them
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Width plays into wrist angle too...
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    After riding straight bars forever, Watson Cycle’s educated me. I am using their Revalation bar with 31 degrees of sweep and he is bending me one with even more sweep. He uses only titanium. My discomfort on long rides are gone.