Bar ends?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bar ends?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bar ends?

On my mountain bike I have bar ends. Is there any consensus on them? When out on a trail and crashing are they a potential safety hazard? I've noticed watching youtube videos nobody has them on their bikes. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Bar ends really went out of use 20 years ago.

I used to use them as "deflectors". My bar ends were beat from smashing off of trees. I only 1 time ever crashed as a result of having bar ends on.

mtbr member
    I have four bikes I ride regularly and two have bar-ends on. Don't have them on my commuter, not on the bike long enough for it to matter. Don't have them on my full-sus as it plays in the trees and yes, I think they are a hazard when the scenery gets close.

On the road or long trail rides I like the relaxed, upright position they afford. Do not care if they look dorky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I purchased a set of them about 8 years about for the MTB that I used to ride on the road. I had a 50 mile event ride planned. The bar ends helped me change hand position from horizontal to vertical throughout the ride.

They are still on the bike, which I only ride once a year for the past couple years. Keep in mind the bike has XC old-geometry narrow bars and don't present a problem like I imagine they would on today's wider bars.

I have hada few people mention to me how they look like hooks to connect to a tree with, but I never had a problem for the number of years I rode them.

If you use them, and enjoy the use of them, keep them on. If you think they look odd and you never use them, remove them.

No judging here...

Out spokin'
    I first got bar ends when they were introduced 25 or so years ago and I’ve used them continuously ever since, moving them from old bikes to new bikes. I love having multiple hand positions, especially when climbing.

I don’t care that bar ends seem more popular among homeless folks than anyone else these days, I like ‘em.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Really useful if you are doing rides that have prolonged climbs on forest roads, etc.... or ride in area's where tree coverage is not dense. It's like how road h-bars give you a lot of alternative hand positions, bar-ends are a nice change of pace.

Issues with 24"/600mm h-bars was hooking the bar on trees. I wouldn't put them on my 750mm bars as example.

slow
    I've been running them since 1990 on all of my mountain bikes. They have only been a liability on my 710mm bars a couple of times, but I live and ride in areas with reasonably sparse vegetation. I like them for comfort on our long sustained climbs, for extra leverage on super steep and technical climbs, and for varied hand positions while bikepacking.

Bar ends?-0211172046a.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've always really liked the way bar ends look on bikes, but since I put them on I don't much like that I have to move my hands to get to the brakes should something come up if I put my hands on the bar ends. I'll keep them on for now and decide later whether to keep them on or not. Thanks everyone for the input

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by thefish View Post
    I've always really liked the way bar ends look on bikes, but since I put them on I don't much like that I have to move my hands to get to the brakes should something come up if I put my hands on the bar ends.
    I never use them on descents. For me, they are just for climbing or long flat sections on which braking is not needed.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I find them very useful when running narrow bars. Ran them all the time in the 90s when my bars were under 600mm. As my bars got wider, I needed them less and they were less useful when I did try to use them. At some point 15 or so years ago (probably with my first 685mm bar) I just stopped putting them on my trail bikes, though I have used them on a flat bar gravel-type bike with narrow bars.. A couple years ago, Just for kicks I stuck some on a 750mm bar to see what it felt like. Totally awkward and not at all useful.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I find them very useful when running narrow bars. Ran them all the time in the 90s when my bars were under 600mm. As my bars got wider, I needed them less and they were less useful when I did try to use them. At some point 15 or so years ago (probably with my first 685mm bar) I just stopped putting them on my trail bikes, though I have used them on a flat bar gravel-type bike with narrow bars.. A couple years ago, Just for kicks I stuck some on a 750mm bar to see what it felt like. Totally awkward and not at all useful.
    This...
    A lot of things the industry tells us we need aren't really much of an improvement over the previous. Bar width though, for example, gradually started creeping up as the benefits started to be realized (and lighter material yielded a similar weight).. Then at some point over time we arrived at a width that no longer required antlers to be useful.
    800's are ridiculous for anything but serious DH but a nice set of 740/750's or so give you plenty of leverage and position options

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    With the multiple bar sizes and shapes available, I don't see a single reason why anyone would use bar ends. Not only do they look ridiculous and ugly as hell but you can't brake while your hands are on them so then what? Get some drop bars if you want multiple hand positons or actually size your cockpit right so that you have no problems with your hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Not only do they look ridiculous and ugly as hell but you can't brake while your hands are on them so then what?
    You don't fly down hills on them! The time I use them most is climbing, when you braking tends to be unnecessary? Also on lazy flats to get a stretch. I don't use them at times when braking might be necessary.

Also, bar ends and drops are not the same. The posture positions they offer are different and one is no substitute for the other.

mtbr member

I agree, I found bar ends really useful on the narrow bars I used to use but they would be awkward ungainly on the wider ones I have now. If I used them now I'd mount them on the inside of my brake levers.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Go faster!
    It's always nice to have options.Bar ends?-20190423_122942.jpg

mtbr member
    Like that^ but I'd leave the outside ones off.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrowe View Post
    It's always nice to have options.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190423_122942.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	1248256
    Your bike looks like a moose. Not an insult, just an observation

mtbr member
    I like them. The trees, not so much. I've hooked a sapling or two in my 10+ years of riding, so yes, there is some potential risks.

However, they're great for ergonomics and changing up your hand position to avoid cramping on longer rides. The leverage they provide on long climbs is almost like having an extra gear. I use the Ergon grips posted above.

Go faster!
    I agree.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Also, bar ends and drops are not the same. The posture positions they offer are different and one is no substitute for the other.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You don't fly down hills on them! The time I use them most is climbing, when you braking tends to be unnecessary? Also on lazy flats to get a stretch. I don't use them at times when braking might be necessary.

Get wider bars. They allow the same leverage as bar end when climbing but better stability, and they don't look ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Get wider bars. They allow the same leverage as bar end when climbing but better stability, and they don't look ridiculous.
    I have wider bars. I have four bikes. Wider bars do not replicate the variety of positions offered by bar ends. I like both, in the right context.

mtbr member
    I have wider bars. I have four bikes. Wider bars do not replicate the variety of positions offered by bar ends. I like both, in the right context.
    ^This. Different hand position. Makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    ^This. Different hand position. Makes a big difference.
    For me the big deal is that bar ends, if positioned accordingly, allow me to sit further back than any other type of bar which allows me to have a good stretch when I'm on a ride where I'm in the same position for a while. I don't have bar ends on my full-sus and I don't miss them. The type of riding I do on that bike is much more dynamic and stiffening up is never an issue.

slow
    Not only do they look ridiculous and ugly as hell...
    Some more so than others:

Bar ends?-smooooothie.jpg

Bar ends?-0423181646.jpg

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Bar ends?

I like the extra hand positions.

(This is not my photo. I think I stole it from somewhere on this site)
    Last edited by kapusta; 05-02-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Bikesexual

Jonesing Bar?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    As far as the danger, i connected solidly with a tree and my handlebars once. No bar ends. Didn't matter, i went flying and i don't think it would have been any different with bar ends.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You can hit things with your bars and get away with it, just. Bar ends may hook onto the scenery and pull the bars right round. I agree that in many cases it won't make much difference but if you ride were there are a lot of bushes, trees and fences then bar ends are a little more risky.

Norđwegr
    I suppose you could try out togs for something extra to grab onto.
    https://togs.com/collections/togs-1

mtbr member

Tilt it up, and that thing looks like it would do a great job clearing spiderwebs from the trail for early bird riders.