Alternative to specialized Henge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Alternative to specialized Henge

So specialized discontinued the Henge which was the saddle I got along with best. I have tried a few since but can't find something I like.

Fabric scoop radius - hated it
    Spec phenom - ok but not great
    Spec power arc - can't get along with this
    Bontrager Montrose - didn't feel right
    Bontrager Aeolus - too curved in the rear, not great for a more upright position

Anyone have any suggestions on saddles that mimic the Henge in shape and size. I ride a 155mm Henge

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Anyone have any recommendations? I read that the WTB Volt has a similar profile to the Henge but I have no way to confirm that.

The other saddle I'm considering is the Ergon SM.

SDG have great review but unfortunately seem to be on the narrow (normal) side of the spectrum, my sit bones measure about 148-150mm.

mtbr member
    Henge is my favorite saddle as well. The volt is good but the sweet spot is MUCH smaller compared to the henge. If you find one you're happy with please report back as I'm going to need one eventually too.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by crembz View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations? I read that the WTB Volt has a similar profile to the Henge but I have no way to confirm that.

The other saddle I'm considering is the Ergon SM.

SDG have great review but unfortunately seem to be on the narrow (normal) side of the spectrum, my sit bones measure about 148-150mm.
    Damn I was hoping you'd say something like "I went from the Henge to the Volt and it's just as perfect"

Sounds like I might have to work my way through a few.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have ridden on a Henge 143 for years, but I'm changing. I didn't like the Power saddle. The Ergon SM is more comfortable with softer cushion, and it fits me well. Feels like it could help with my saddle sores. It will probably become my new fav saddle if it holds up.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Pistola XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Specialized Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Ah good to know. What version of the sm do you use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ah good to know. What version of the sm do you use?
    SM Pro. Med/Lg
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Pistola XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Specialized Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a very lightly used Henge Titanium saddle. Nothing like the Volt. I can ride the Volt, I could not ride the Henge. Mine is medium width 143mm.

It is for sale, I値l never use it. PM me if interested and I値l forward pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    I have a very lightly used Henge Titanium saddle. Nothing like the Volt. I can ride the Volt, I could not ride the Henge. Mine is medium width 143mm.

It is for sale, I値l never use it. PM me if interested and I値l forward pics.
    Thanks mate, unfortunately I have wide sit bones ... 150mm 😞

mtbr member
    I ride a Henge on one of my bikes. my others have selle italia SLR Max gel
    The are a flatter saddle, but I find them comfortable

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...r-max-gel-flow

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I ride a Henge on one of my bikes. my others have selle italia SLR Max gel
    The are a flatter saddle, but I find them comfortable

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...r-max-gel-flow
    Thanks for the feedback, what size henge do you use on that bike?

I took a look at selle and their saddles seem on the narrower side of ideal.

Practice Gratitude

New question here. Shallow, Radius, Flat. Scoop.

So specialized discontinued the Henge which was the saddle I got along with best. I have tried a few since but can't find something I like.

Anyone have any suggestions on saddles that mimic the Henge in shape and size. I ride a 155mm Henge
    I'm sure you've already seen this but Fabric does have three different profiles to their saddle fit system. The "Shallow", The "Flat", and the "Radius". I only mention it because I disliked the radius as well but found the shallow to be the most wonderful saddle I've tried in years. I've also had the Specialized Phenom from around 2015 or so and I loved that until I found the Fabric Scoop Elite Shallow saddle. It also took maybe a few weeks to "break-in" the saddle for maximum comfort as well... Or maybe I just got used to it?

I remember reading years ago that new saddles take putting a few miles on them and flexing a bit to reach their full comfort potential. I'm not sure but it makes sense.

https://fabric.cc/saddle-fit/

Keep us updated on what you try and what you end up with.

Best regards,
    Jason
    的t never gets easier, you just get faster. ~ Greg LeMond

2012 Specialized Carve

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, what size henge do you use on that bike?

I took a look at selle and their saddles seem on the narrower side of ideal.
    Mine is the 143..sorry about that.

how about this Henge 155
    https://www.riversidecycle.com/produ...e-225687-1.htm

Keep on Rockin...

Spec phenom - ok but not great
    Spec power arc - can't get along with this
    Bontrager Montrose - didn't feel right
    Bontrager Aeolus - too curved in the rear, not great for a more upright position

Yes...

For years I'd ridden the Henge, and still have about 3 of them lying around in 143.

Biggest thing I liked was the relatively flat profile. But with age I think the saddles got soft and sagged in the middle (ha) and took on a more scooped profile. I also liked the narrow back end. Oh yeah, the price. Got them dirt cheap.

I like flat saddles with little padding.

Since the Henge I've moved on to two different saddles on two different bikes.

The Ergon - can't recall which one. ? SM. But its more of a trail/enduro saddle per ergon. Definitely flat. A bit wide out back but the sides/ends roll off nicely. I like it a lot.

The other saddle is and SDG, a Fly I think. Quite hard and narrow, but very flat. I that one too, a lot. Pretty sure they can be had quite cheap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Plusti View Post
    I'm sure you've already seen this but Fabric does have three different profiles to their saddle fit system. The "Shallow", The "Flat", and the "Radius". I only mention it because I disliked the radius as well but found the shallow to be the most wonderful saddle I've tried in years. I've also had the Specialized Phenom from around 2015 or so and I loved that until I found the Fabric Scoop Elite Shallow saddle. It also took maybe a few weeks to "break-in" the saddle for maximum comfort as well... Or maybe I just got used to it?

I remember reading years ago that new saddles take putting a few miles on them and flexing a bit to reach their full comfort potential. I'm not sure but it makes sense.

https://fabric.cc/saddle-fit/

Keep us updated on what you try and what you end up with.

Best regards,
    Jason
    I'd considered trying another fabric perhaps in a flat profile. Their saddles are a little on the narrow side for me ... 142mm. My sit bones measure up to a 150ish saddle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So I was pretty set on trying the Ergon SM saddles but stock levels in Australia are non existent. Started looking into sqlabs and since they offer a 60day guarantee I thought nothing to loose.

They are freaking pricey though but what the hell why not. I opted for the 611 active model which has some elastometer in the seat allowing a 7ー pitch side to side, claims to compensate for the hips natural movement. Sounds gimmicky to be but I thought nothing to loose.

Installed on the bike, it has a pretty low stack height and an interesting profile. I set the setback the same as my old saddle and leveled it using a ruler running from the raised rear to the nose and leveling the ruler to the ground.

Had my first 1hr ride on it yesterday and felt right at home. I did expect it to feel weird and foreign but no it felt right almost immediately. It's very flat side to side but stepped nose to tail. It seems to have quite a few usable positions, far back for pushing while pedalling, mid foot relaxed/recovery and forward for climbing.

Really liking it so far, but will wait a few more rides before I decide whether to keep it. I have 2 other bikes so I might still try the Ergon on those when it comes back in stock, but tbh I really quite like this thing. They do make a cheaper non-active model with crmo rails which I might get for my gravel bike.