Alternative/ additional bottle cage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Alternative/ additional bottle cage

After a few short months of Texas "not-so-hot weather," I decided I need more than what one water bottle can carry and rediscovered now awkward a hydration pack is. 2 liters in a Osprey Raptor 10 is quite uncomfortable and I'd like to put another water bottle on my bike.

My medium Karate Monkey has bolts to fit a bottle cage on top of the down tube and under it. I refuse to use the underside cage as I am certain that is going to fall off after it gets splattered with dog shi!t. I'd like to clamp a smaller bottle onto the seat tube bit the small handful of strap-on bottle mounts (SKS, Topeak, Two fish, etc) have me wondering if any of then are worthwhile. Recommendations?

When it gets REALLY hot I will deal with the backpack, but for those days when it's too hot for one 24 oz bottle but not hot enough for a backpack, I'd like to have the option for a second bottle.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 05-13-2019 at 08:15 AM.

slow
    During a recent bikepacking trip, some fellow riders had installed additional bottles on their fork legs using the King Cage Universal Support Bolts (King Cage - Bicycle waterbottle cages handmade in Durango, CO) which look like hose clamps with bottle cage bolts attached. They stayed firmly in place for the entire 3 day tour.

When I had a bike with only one set of cage bolts in the main triangle, I used a feedbag on the bars for a second bottle. I did the same with two bottles on the bikepacking trip to increase water capacity. Revelate, J-Paks and many others make these type of bags, which are easy to install and remove:

Alternative/ additional bottle cage-feedbag.jpg

mtbr member
    Handlebar bag might be an option. Fork-mounted bottle on a suspension fork for recreational rdes on rocky terrain? Is that a good idea?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    ...Fork-mounted bottle on a suspension fork for recreational rdes on rocky terrain? Is that a good idea?
    I don't know that I would do it, but they didn't seem to have any problems. I was running a rigid fork for that trip, and my fork was designed with braze-ons for bottle cages. You should be able to order those King straps they used on their forks in a size that would work on your seat tube.

mtbr member
    These widgets from Wolftooth let you mount two bottle cages on a single set of braze-ons.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...e-cage-adapter

Their B-rad system also has a few other options that might help you out.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s/b-rad-system

mtbr member
    I wonder if the b-rad bracket with two bottles on the downtube would be irritating with my knees hitting it.

The other option I forgot about is my Jandd frame bag with two bottles in it or a bladder. I have rigged it with a bladder and the hose strapped to the handlebar with a ID badge yo-yo thing for gravel races and that worked well.

Someone needs to develop lightweight dehydrated water so I can carry it in a powdered form.

mtbr member
    TwoFish makes a bottle cage mount you can put just about anywhere.

slow
    A friend is using the side-by-side bottle setup on his bike and seems to really like it. He has not had any issues with his knees contacting the bottles or cages.

mtbr member
    Frame bag or a 2nd cage mounted to the seat tube if there's room. There are adaptors to strap on a 2nd cage but I found that some protective tape, zip ties, and a bit of inner tube mount a cage securely without damaging the bike's finish. I would not want anything on the fork or bars unless it was for bike packing.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    A friend is using the side-by-side bottle setup on his bike and seems to really like it. He has not had any issues with his knees contacting the bottles or cages.
    Mack, if you this route I will like more feedback.

For some insane reason my Krampus has no water bottle capabilities on the seat tube.

Almost got those but thought it will mess with my riding too.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    ...For some insane reason my Krampus has no water bottle capabilities on the seat tube...
    Might they reduce available seatpost insertion depth?
    Do the math.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Might they reduce available seatpost insertion depth?
    Yeah, that's probably the correct answer.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Out spokin'
    Someone needs to develop lightweight dehydrated water so I can carry it in a powdered form.
    Already exists -- it's called Instant Water.

Just add water.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mack Turtle, I ride Texas almost daily, and like you, prefer not to have a pack when it gets hot (or even when it isn't). After struggling with the same challenge, I opted for a smaller pack. The Osprey you have looks kinda big, and has a pretty bulky waist strap. Great pack though. But me personally, wouldn't wear anything that big in hot weather. I went with a small Camelbak.

HYDROBAK 50 OZ

Small chest strap, no waist strap, and fairly small on the back. Honestly, it isn't that bad, even when it's 100+ outside. The only (small) issue is it sometimes takes flight (lack of waist strap) when jumping over tabletops when I'm riding flow outside of Texas. But it's not a biggy and really only annoying when I'm hitting repeating jumps in a row. Other than that, it sits high enough that it doesn't flop around.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Trying to be helpful
    If you consider packs, you might also want to look at the Osprey Seral or Savu lumbar packs. Both will carry 1.5L of water, one with bladder and the other bottles. I hate packs but my Savu is quite comfortable, allows me to carry 1 or 2 bottles and still have space for other essentials that arent being carried on the bike.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/search/?q=seral+savu
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use a Jandd handlebar feed bag (same as the revelate design) when 2 bottles on the frame isn't enough. Doesn't muck up the handling appreciably, and when it's not blazingly hot, I have snacks in it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Handlebar bag might be an option. Fork-mounted bottle on a suspension fork for recreational rdes on rocky terrain? Is that a good idea?
    I do mine on the other side of the handlebar, centered, if I’m racing, the revelate feed bag is right behind the number plate.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

since 4/10/2009
    I refuse to use the underside cage as I am certain that is going to fall off after it gets splattered with dog shi!t.

When it gets REALLY hot I will deal with the backpack, but for those days when it's too hot for one 24 os bottle but not hot enough for a backpack, I'd like to have the option for a second bottle.
    I'd go with the b-rad system as described earlier. Probably the fewest compromises with that.

Lumbar pack might be a good idea, too. I've been resisting a lumbar pack for awhile, but am starting to rethink it. It's getting warm/humid down my way, too, and just the ability to get more airflow across my back would be much more comfy for shorter rides. Having a larger pack in the rotation is kinda necessary around here, though, for longer rides and for those shoulder season rides where it's too warm for a jacket on the long climbs, but too chilly to go without on the long downs (or the wind is howling on the ridgelines).

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    There is also the Fidlock Uni base. But you have to use the Fidlock bottles or get the Fidlock Uni connector.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Here is a totally different perspective. Try some bib liners shorts with storage pockets on the back. I have a pair of Zoic Carbon bib liners and a pair of Specialized SWAT bib liners. Both can accommodate a bottle and are quite comfortable.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sptimmy43 View Post
    Here is a totally different perspective. Try some bib liners shorts with storage pockets on the back. I have a pair of Zoic Carbon bib liners and a pair of Specialized SWAT bib liners. Both can accommodate a bottle and are quite comfortable.
    Not sure about OP, but I'd rather wear a pack than put bottles in pockets. Reaching around my back to remove/replace bottles is a bigger PITA than using bottles mounted just about anywhere on the frame of the bike. Yes, my shoulders are inflexible. It's a lifelong issue that no amount of yoga or stretching has addressed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sptimmy43 View Post
    These beat fanny packs all to hell. I can carry a 1l flexible bottle in my swat bibs much more comfortably than any fanny pack. One of the best ideas for mountain biking ever.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Not sure about OP, but I'd rather wear a pack than put bottles in pockets. Reaching around my back to remove/replace bottles is a bigger PITA than using bottles mounted just about anywhere on the frame of the bike. Yes, my shoulders are inflexible. It's a lifelong issue that no amount of yoga or stretching has addressed.
    I appreciate what you are saying. Everyone has different preferences and limitations. It doesn't sound like this will be applicable to your situation but I'll mention it in case the OP has similar concerns. The nice thing about the 2 bib liners I mentioned is that the pockets are actually flaps. This allows them to be really low on the back and still stay on top of your baggies/outer shorts which makes access a little easier. It's definitely not as easy as reaching down into a bottle cage on the bike but, aside from mobility issues, it isn't that inconvenient either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Not sure about OP, but I'd rather wear a pack than put bottles in pockets...
    I sometimes carry an extra bottle in my jersey pocket. I agree it's not convenient to access but exchanging it with a depleted frame mounted bottle only occurs once during a ride.
    Do the math.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I sometimes carry an extra bottle in my jersey pocket. I agree it's not convenient to access but exchanging it with a depleted frame mounted bottle only occurs once during a ride.
    I am not kidding when I talk about my inflexible shoulders. I can remove said bottle from the pocket, but I need help to put one in. Esp if I'm tired.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah. I was going to say something about my old creaky shoulders. It takes both hands to get the bottle out of or into the jersey pocket so while I can exchange the bottles while riding the road bike but I gotta stop on the mtb.

I'll add that I just got a pair of Nukeproof bibs that have storage pockets on the back, and on the lower outside of the leg. The back pockets are only attached at the top and nicely fit a 24oz water bottle. The pockets are pretty high so stuff doesn't droop down behind your butt. Accessing them is a bit more work as they're under your shirt or jersey.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My ICT and Krampus also lack seat tube bottle bosses. I use the newer B Rad strap on bottle adaptor, it's perfect. Mounting it over the bend in the seat tube is a little awkward, but no big deal. I ditched the stock foam it comes with and use mastic tape to protect the frame and take it the gap created by the bed - 99% as solid as a standard bottle mount.

mtbr member
    I have nothing to gain by shilling the Back Bottle, but it's seriously a nice option. if you don't like getting a regular bottle in/out of jersey pockets, that is because doing so is a PITA. look into the Back Bottle. it's 10x easier. I don't use jersey pockets much, but I find one of those bottles in the center pocket to be pretty comfortable.

mtbr member
    I picked up a 1l Hydropack bottle that fits comfortably in my bib pocket. I also picked up a large Apidura top tube bag. I can fill the bottle to 750ml and fit it in the top tube bag. When I get to the top of the initial climb, 50-90 minutes I use it to refill the bottle in my cage. This won't work for everyone but, if your ride starts with a long climb it's great. I can comfortably carry well over 2l of water with no pack.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle