Affordable SPD trail pedal with decent clip in support?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Affordable SPD trail pedal with decent clip in support?

Anybody have any suggestions for an all mountain pedal. Would like something with a little more support but nothing too enduro. SPD preferred. Shimano XTR M9020 are sort of what I'm after but really not looking to pay so much

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Up In Smoke
    What is affordable?
    <Free
    <$25
    <$50
    <$500
    ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Less than 80 USD.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Shimano M530 or should I do a little better? Looking for something with a cage for sure.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by SergMTB View Post
    Shimano M530 or should I do a little better? Looking for something with a cage for sure.
    That's a great option and would have been my second recommendation to the M540

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Great. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Do you think there's much in it between M8020 and m530? If not I'll be happy with the 530's like you mentioned.

mtbr member
    I have both the 8000 and 8020...and there really isn't much of a difference. My shoes do not rest on any part of the wings of the 8020.

Now the 8120...that has a small platform on the back of the pedal to give a flat sole shoes some extra support.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    520's work great for me, and cheap

Elitest thrill junkie
    IME, these "trail" cages are pretty useless, they don't really engage the shoes and don't offer the 30 degree "float" that the older 545 and 646 pedals had, which means if you miss and contact the cage with your cleat, it's more apt to bounce off.

That said, 530s are a great value and rock solid.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EDR
    I have 8120xt Trail spd's. The 'cage' does not support the shoe when clipped in, nor is supposed to. If it did it would interfere when trying to clip in. What it does offer is an easy way to at least grab a pedal and get going from a stalled position in tough awkward situations until you get a pedal stroke or two and ciip in. I've also ran M540's for a long time. As far as how they ride while clipped in all Shimano SPD are the same. XTR/XT/M series, makes no difference.
    Overall I much prefer the XT Trail pedals. I find the platform useful. You can find them under $80
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 04-10-2020 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I have 8120xt Trail spd's. The 'cage' does not support the shoe when clipped in, nor is supposed to. If it did it would interfere when trying to clip in. What it does offer is an easy way to at least grab a pedal and get going from a stalled position in tough awkward situations until you get a pedal stroke or two and ciip in. I've also ran M540's for a long time. As far as how they ride while clipped in all Shimano SPD are the same. XTR/XT/M series, makes no difference.
    Overall I much prefer the XT Trail pedals. I find the platform useful. You can find them under $80
    Thanks, that's a good bit of info. So when you say you prefer the xt's platform it's pretty much just because there's more platform so that your feet finds the clip easier and also you can for a moment use it as a platform pedal until you've found the second to clip in, correct?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I think all of these Shimano pedals are rock solid, being Shimano... but i prefer the M8020, for the all-metal spindle near the crank arm. I got mine for $62

I also have a pair of M540s too on my gravel bike ($44). Again, all-metal vs the 530's design.

But that's just me

Both were on sale at Jenson

eric/fresno, ca.

mtbr member
    My xt trails dont clip in the same on my left foot as my m530 and m540 on other bikes. I had to adjust my cleats for those pedals, which still work fine after adjustment on my other bikes. The trails having less float sounds about right.

The older m530/40 last FOREVER. After 10 years I finally repacked them just for maintenances sake. They're beat up and ugly after so many years of rock strikes, but they're functionally perfect.

I cant say the trail platform makes much, or any, difference. Kinda looks cool, I suppose? My shoes are so slick that pedaling without being clipped in is tolerable for about one pedal stroke, when necessary to remount, platform or not.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SergMTB View Post
    Thanks, that's a good bit of info. So when you say you prefer the xt's platform it's pretty much just because there's more platform so that your feet finds the clip easier and also you can for a moment use it as a platform pedal until you've found the second to clip in, correct?

... pretty much, exactly.

I might be restating what I've already said but it can provide a platform to get going when you're not clipped in. It's not ideal but for me in techie terrain it's a big help as opposed to having nothing but the SPD cage itself. That gets dicey when you're trying to get going on a steep hill after being stalled out. Some people might feel it provides a better landing for their foot when they're doing jumps and stuff but I think that's a complete placebo effect. If you're wearing a stiff pair of shoes there is no way they are bending and deforming into the pedals to any appreciable effect.

Something that kind of goes missed in these discussions is that you don't need flat pedal support when you're wearing SPD shoes and using SPD pedals. At least not in the general sense. SPD shoes are so incredibly stiff they by default create their own platform, which is why some clip in pedals are so incredibly tiny. Take a look at the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters (and then imagine trying get going on a super steep section). There is a reason those were favored by XC racers and not loved by the all mountain crowd.

I'll always recommend the XT trails over the 530s or 540s for people looking to buy the first time. Just being able to use the platform and flip the pedal around and hop on and get going is reason enough for me. plus they are super thin and can be found at good prices.

let me add one last thing. There is nothing wrong with the 540 s. I used them for years. If your feet never come off the pedals in sketchy situations then it doesn't really matter what kind of SPD pedal you have. I dealt with them on tough terrain for long time until I found something better that's all, and I see no downside to the XT trails for anybody other than maybe weight weenie crowd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Big thing I like about the M540s over the M530 or M520 is the all metal spindle, vice the plastic bearing retainer that lower models have. This might not be a big deal to some folks, but I like being able to service the pedal without buying the special tool for the plastic sleeve.

I had a set of A530s on my gravel bike, and had some water/dirt intrusion after a REALLY muddy race, and tried to disassemble to service without the tool - stripped the plastic sleeve and basically killed the pedal. Not sure if I stripped the sleeve, or if it was improperly installed, but when I took it apart half the sleeve was chewed up/stripped. Nice pedals until then though.

I find that for the price of the M520 plus the tool to remove the plastic sleeve is pretty close to the price for a set of M540. But, there is nothing wrong with the M520 either.

mtbr member

Affordable SPD trail pedal with decent clip in support?

Maybe too late but take a look at the VP vx trail pedal. Just picked up my second pair after about three years of solid performance on the first. I just wanted new cleats but they’re so affordable I just got a whole new set. Easily found on eBay for $40 and under and IMHO every bit as good as XT trails. Just the right amount of platform to to stand on, and to keep the pedal from spinning during those off kilter clip in moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Look x trac pedals have some platform and use the shimano cleats. Using them with shimano AM7 shoes. The soles rest on the pedals.
    Last edited by 92gli; 04-17-2020 at 07:56 AM.