31.6 Dropper for Beginner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

31.6 Dropper for Beginner?

I just bought my first MB - a Trail 5. I really like the frame and the geometry even though the components are just okay. After a few shake downs I realize I need a dropper as I ride off and back so much. Whether that's correct or not, it's just how I ride this early in the game.

I'm just looking for a 31.6 dropper that works. Money isn't really an issue, but I don't want to waste money on something I won't appreciate. I have two competing thoughts on the purchase:

1. I'm going to probably buy a much more expensive HT in a year, so I do not want to invest in a really expensive dropper if my next bike has an equal or better one built into it.

2. I may end up building frame-up the next time, so maybe if it's a decent dropper I can just transfer it into the next bike.

Any advice?

mtbr member
    I have a Tmars 31.6 dropper. Not the prettiest or fanciest but it works just fine. Actually wanting to unload it as I don't have 31.6 frames anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would look at the SDG Tellis dropper. Probably one of the best, if not the best dropper for the money.
    EXODUX Jeff

monster member
    My '19 trail bike has a 30.9 seat tube. Point is that you don't even know what size post you'll need in a year if you buy a different bike then, so I wouldn't buy an expensive one yet. A used one with a reputation of being rebuildable/bullet proof seems like a good plan.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Buy a 30.9 and get a shim to size up. You can get a dropper you want to keep for the next bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Buy a 30.9 and get a shim to size up. You can get a dropper you want to keep for the next bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. if money is really no object, get an AXS reverb or Magura Vyron, it will swap straight over (as no hose/cable), and aint no bike going to come with a fancier one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Howard View Post
    This. if money is really no object, get an AXS reverb or Magura Vyron, it will swap straight over (as no hose/cable), and aint no bike going to come with a fancier one.
    If you want to spend a lot but also want the biggest piece of $hit money can buy, the Vyron is a no-brainer. I could see that thing convincing someone that droppers are a bad idea.

My opinion: Bikeyoke revive is the best post on the market. It works, it's a piece of cake to work on, and you can replace the lower tube (really easily) to change diameter if need be to move to a new bike.
    If money is an issue (and it always is, especially since OP doesn't know how long he plans on keeping it), one-up and SDG are where it's at for mid-priced posts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for all the responses. Seems like there's a lot to choose from. I will start looking through the used market, but so far there hasn't been anything close geography wise. I will widen the search but also do some research into the brands and models suggested.

Another quick question:

If I go with a mid-priced dropper what are the odds my next bike (2-3K HT in a year or two) will come with a better one? If odds are good I may just go budget this round as I doubt I'll benefit much from a high-end top of the line dropper post as a beginner.

Thanks again guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsNotFennel View Post
    If I go with a mid-priced dropper what are the odds my next bike (2-3K HT in a year or two) will come with a better one? If odds are good I may just go budget this round as I doubt I'll benefit much from a high-end top of the line dropper post as a beginner.

Thanks again guys.

Who knows what bikes will come with in the future? Who knows what the bike you haven't chosen yet will come with? I don't see as many posts that are unusable turds, the way there used to be, and I'd imagine a coupe years more refinement will make them better across the industry, so there's that.

For me, the difference between high end and mid priced droppers is reliability and serviceability. I don't see how a more advanced rider would benefit more from a more expensive post except that they probably ride more and having a longer service interval would be a benefit.

Short-Change-Hero
    1. Do you need internal or external routing?
    2. Any preference on length of drop?
    3. How much dropper will the frame take? (as that will influence the answer to question 2)
    4. What is your basic budget?

All those questions come into play. However, best thing is right now is an awesome time to buy a dropper as there is a good market for it and PLENTY that are good, if not great droppers for less than $300. Couple of suggestions since you are not sure if you will keep bike/dropper in the future is to purchase something that is less than $250 if at all possible. Most good/great droppers start at about $250 and up, some can be found for cheaper around $200ish, so really depends on what your core needs are.

For me, I would rather spend a little more with a company that has great customer service. So far the best customer service I have had has been with PNW Components. Currently have their Cascade external routed dropper on my old trail bike. New trail bike came with an SDG Tellis and it has been incredible, the lever feel on it some of the best I have felt, however if something were to go drastically wrong with the Tellis I would be putting a PNW Bachelor on the bike. The OneUP offerings I have ridden have been quite nice and are probably the cheaper at only $200, have played with the 9Point8 dropper and BikeYoke but both are a little rich for my blood. The RS Reverb is still garbage, though arguably one of the most "tuneable" droppers out there. I have a severe hatred for all things FOX so have never bothered with trying the Transfer, though I know tons of people love it.

So really you got a large plethora of droppers to choose from, anything from $150 all the way up to $500, it all depends on what you want to spend and how much drop you want.

mtbr member
    Brand-X from Chain Reaction has worked for me, and I got it on sale for just a little over $100.