27.5 Rear Wheel Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

27.5 Rear Wheel Build

Hey all. Cracked my carbon wheel in Sedona this weekend and will be going back to aluminum. Looking for rim recommendations for this build?

The new rim will be laced to a DT Swiss 350 28h hub with DT Swiss Spokes. Iím 5í6Ē 135lbs and ride a lot of rocky Arizona desert on a Mojo 3. I prefer none plus wheels so Iíd like the new rim to be similar to the carbon I cracked. That rear wheel weighed 1.6 lbs built and the rim had an internal width of 26mm. Donít mind picking up a few grams in rim weight if I can get 28 to 30mm internal width.

Thinking Stans Arch Mk3 might be a good choice or the DT Swiss Xm481.

Thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This place needs an enema
    Arch is decent.

At your weight the only reason you should avoid carbon rims is if you're buying cheap chinese junk and/or you run crazy low pressures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Arch is decent.

At your weight the only reason you should avoid carbon rims is if you're buying cheap chinese junk and/or you run crazy low pressures.
    Not saying theres anything wrong with carbon, been on them for a years and appreciate what they do. The cracked rim is a Nox brand which I consider great quality for an honest price and it was totally my fault the rear failed. Was running 23psi front and 25 rear when I took a poorly planned drop into a pile of rocks I couldnít see. It amazed my entire riding crew when we ride 20 more miles after the failure without an issue other than a wobble and some leaking Orange sealant.
    27.5 Rear Wheel Build-img_1269.jpg
    27.5 Rear Wheel Build-img_1262.jpg
    Going back to an aluminum rear wheel because I prefer how they feel. The extra compliance of aluminum for my weight helps with rear traction while still running a high enough psi for blitzing gnar and Rick gardens. Up front I prefer the rigidity, light weight and ability to hold a line that carbon offers so sticking with it there.

Who is making the absolute best aluminum rims these days? Been on carbon so long I have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk