2021 Fox Transfer Seat Clamp Problem- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SikeMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    710

    2021 Fox Transfer Seat Clamp Problem

    So I just installed the 2021 Fox Transfer a few days ago and I noticed an issue with the seat clamp. The new design is easier to access and set up, however there seems to be a limitation on the tilt of the saddle. I have the forward bolt as tight as it can go, so the forward part of the clamp top is touching the lower part of the clamp. This effectively limits the tilt of the saddle. I have taken to a slight nose down saddle position lately and I can't set it up that way with this new dropper. The actual seat tube angle is partly what is causing this, but that's not an excuse. I have attached a photo of my Evil Offering for reference. Unless I am screwing something up with this, Fox needs to redesign the clamp and send everyone who has bought one a new one. I haven't experienced so much taint smashing for a long time.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Fox Transfer Seat Clamp Problem-img_20200629_114422-1-.jpg  


  2. #2
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,660
    I wish post makers would go back to the single bolt design. Allowed for more adjustment and was much easier to get the correct angle.

    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    562
    Damnnnn. I ride slight nose down. This would be a taint buster.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,201
    You might look at different saddle. Some have rails that angle upward toward the nose which would allow a more nose-down position on the post.

    The two droppers I have allow a much more nose down angle. Reverb. Bontrager.
    What, me worry?

  5. #5
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,660

    2021 Fox Transfer Seat Clamp Problem

    OP - what saddle is that? Looks like a WTB Volt?

    I have a Volt on my TB and zero issues getting the angle I need. Could be a combination of saddle and your Evil frame which have very slack actual seat post angles.

    Here’s how it looks on my Tallboy...

    With a straight level from the high point on the tail to the nose, I have mine about 2.5 deg nose down.


    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SikeMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    710
    Yes, it's a Volt. I do think that the slack actual STA is part of the problem, however it wasn't a problem with the original Fox Transfer or the Oneup V2 droppers that I have used recently.

  7. #7
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,660
    I can see how an another degree or two nose down would make the Fox rear “bolt” too short. Seems they screwed that up a bit.

    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1
    I just researched and came to this thread ... for the same reason. I have an SQLabs saddle that is designed to run with the nose down a bit. I’m not thrilled about the limit of adjustability, especially with such a high end dropper. I have it maxed and need a few more degrees to get the “taint love” I need. Bummed about this!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    So I just installed the 2021 Fox Transfer a few days ago and I noticed an issue with the seat clamp. The new design is easier to access and set up, however there seems to be a limitation on the tilt of the saddle. I have the forward bolt as tight as it can go, so the forward part of the clamp top is touching the lower part of the clamp. This effectively limits the tilt of the saddle. I have taken to a slight nose down saddle position lately and I can't set it up that way with this new dropper. The actual seat tube angle is partly what is causing this, but that's not an excuse. I have attached a photo of my Evil Offering for reference. Unless I am screwing something up with this, Fox needs to redesign the clamp and send everyone who has bought one a new one. I haven't experienced so much taint smashing for a long time.

    SikeMo - just curious is your seat even level or slightly tilted up? What is the seat tube angle on your Evil Offering?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    562
    According to Evil, it's 76/77 degrees. Pretty steep. My Reactor is 75/75.5. Unless my saddle has a more nose down design than WTB, I'll need to ice my taint after each ride. Ouch!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    According to Evil, it's 76/77 degrees. Pretty steep. My Reactor is 75/75.5. Unless my saddle has a more nose down design than WTB, I'll need to ice my taint after each ride. Ouch!
    Wow - so I was considering this post for my 2018 Trek Fuel EX8 which is 74.5 degrees. Sounds like no way this post with the clamp design as is will work for me either.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SikeMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    710
    It's slightly tilted up. That's a WTB Volt saddle. I was able to get a better result with a Fabric Scoop saddle.

    You want actual seat tube angle, not effective, which is published and steep. I don't know the actual seat tube angle of the Offering. I would guess that it's around 68°.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    It's slightly tilted up. That's a WTB Volt saddle. I was able to get a better result with a Fabric Scoop saddle.

    You want actual seat tube angle, not effective, which is published and steep. I don't know the actual seat tube angle of the Offering. I would guess that it's around 68°.
    My actual is 64.5 - 65 on the Fuel and I was considering replacing my Bontranger saddle (flat, no drop at nose) with WTB Volt. So still sounds like this post isn't going to let me ride slightly nose down which I prefer to do as well .

    Based on others in this forum complaining about the upper clamp front bolt hole cracking (two so far) and another losing the entire bolt and seat when it was on their bike rack ride home, I think Fox will have to consider redesigning this patented clamp system. I am attracted to the lower height capabilities when fully down since my seat tube isn't as short as some others and my long legs and short arms keep me from being able to get my butt behind the seat easily (37 inch bike inseam on a 6' tall body).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SikeMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    710
    It's a tough game right now. I've also got a OneUp V2 that's on its second warranty replacement now. Maybe the new Bike Yoke? I know nothing about it.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhawk View Post
    Based on others in this forum complaining about the upper clamp front bolt hole cracking (two so far) and another losing the entire bolt and seat when it was on their bike rack ride home, I think Fox will have to consider redesigning this patented clamp system.
    Fox needs to redesign the upper seat rail clamp so 1) it can be angled properly on all bikes, and 2) so that the front bolt hole/slot doesn't crack. I think the the cracking is happening because the front bolt head slips forward slightly and stresses the tip of that bolt hole/slot, depending on seat and seat tube angles.

    Dear Fox Suspension - please make available soon a replacement upper seat rail clamp for the 2021 Fox Transfer seatpost. This is a relatively easy problem to solve without recalling anything.

    I guess I would be the third guy now to report a cracked upper seat rail clamp in this forum? (Sorry I cross-posted, but others and Fox need to know about this.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/components/2...e-1149227.html)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Fox Transfer Seat Clamp Problem-img_5935.jpg  


  16. #16
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,660
    Whoa! Will have to keep at eye out for this! Thanks for the heads up!

    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    148
    single bolt sucks, I remember the old command post and enve seatposts slipping when I did ass landers

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    10
    Has anyone installed the replacement top clamp from Fox? Curious if it solved the angle issue and/or the cracking problem? I have a replacement on the way, but curious what others have found so far.

    Thanks!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    562
    Humm, hopefully I don't run into this issue when I start my HT build next year. I'm thinking of moving my OneUp from my FS over to the HT and installing a Fox Factory on my FS. Using a Bontrager Montrose saddle right now and hopefully that doesn't have the same angle problem as the WTB one.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Humm, hopefully I don't run into this issue when I start my HT build next year. I'm thinking of moving my OneUp from my FS over to the HT and installing a Fox Factory on my FS. Using a Bontrager Montrose saddle right now and hopefully that doesn't have the same angle problem as the WTB one.
    I have the same saddle on my 2020 Top Fuel, and the issue I have is when tightening down the bolts - a little at a time front and back, once the back reaches specified torque, the front bolt continues to turn a lot and doesn't reach torque until the top clamp eventually deforms enough to bottom out, which also causes the saddle nose to drop more than desired. Hopefully the new top clamp piece resolves both issues.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by apache99 View Post
    I have the same saddle on my 2020 Top Fuel, and the issue I have is when tightening down the bolts - a little at a time front and back, once the back reaches specified torque, the front bolt continues to turn a lot and doesn't reach torque until the top clamp eventually deforms enough to bottom out, which also causes the saddle nose to drop more than desired. Hopefully the new top clamp piece resolves both issues.
    I am thinking about this post but obviously will await the redesigned top clamp. But your comment causes me to ask - how are these fasteners different than a standard two bolt post. Which as you tighten one end you have to unwind the other as you adjust the seat angle. Normal bottom clamp sits in a semi-circle to rotate and this one doesn't which is how they got a lower stack height. So can you tighten one end and loosen the other and both tighten up to hold the seat rails without having to bottom out the clamp?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhawk View Post
    I am thinking about this post but obviously will await the redesigned top clamp. But your comment causes me to ask - how are these fasteners different than a standard two bolt post. Which as you tighten one end you have to unwind the other as you adjust the seat angle. Normal bottom clamp sits in a semi-circle to rotate and this one doesn't which is how they got a lower stack height. So can you tighten one end and loosen the other and both tighten up to hold the seat rails without having to bottom out the clamp?
    I think the issue is that when both the front and back bolts are tight, and the back reaches torque, the front bolt continues to turn a lot still due to deflection in the top clamp, and between the movement of both, the saddle rotates in it's cradle. Presumably I could probably overcorrect the tilt upward and get it to settle in the right place, but it's the deflection on the top clamp and the photos others have posted of the cracking that concerns me. I'm riding as is with the nose a bit further down than desired for now instead of fiddling with it so I don't unnecessarily stress the top clamp until the replacement arrives. Hopefully the replacement doesn't deflect, which may solve the rotation issue.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by apache99 View Post
    Has anyone installed the replacement top clamp from Fox? Curious if it solved the angle issue and/or the cracking problem? I have a replacement on the way, but curious what others have found so far.

    Thanks!
    I just received mine today and installed it this evening. I took some side-by-side pics below.

    Fox appears to have addressed the two issues with this top clamp; 1) the new one has a lot more material at the front bolt head cradle, which should prevent it from bending or cracking, and 2) the front bolt head cradle is higher and angled a bit upward and back, which should allow all saddles to tilt down fully (and not stress it).

    The specified torque for the seat rail clamp bolts is 5.1 Nm (45 in-lbs). I torqued the rear bolt to 5 Nm, but I only went to 4 Nm in the front because I'm still afraid I'll bend it even though it's new-and-improved (so apparently I'm still not yet convinced this new top clamp won't bend or break?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Fox Transfer Seat Clamp Problem-img_5958.jpg  

    2021 Fox Transfer Seat Clamp Problem-img_5957.jpg  

    2021 Fox Transfer Seat Clamp Problem-img_5956.jpg  

    Last edited by A. Rider; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:57 AM.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    I just received mine today and installed it this evening. I took some side-by-side pics for comparison below.

    Fox appears to have addressed the two issues with this top clamp; 1) the new one has a lot more material at the front bolt head cradle, which should prevent it from bending or cracking, and 2) the front bolt head cradle is higher and angled a bit upward and back, which should allow all saddles to tilt down fully (and not stress it).

    The first pic shows a frontend side view of the old top clamp above (a replacement from my LBS) and the new one (from Fox) on the bottom. The last two pics show the old top clamp on the left and the new one on the right - the second pic shows the topsides, while the last pic shows the undersides (where they contact the seat rails).

    The specified torque for the seat rail clamp bolts is 5.1 Nm (45 in-lbs). I torqued the rear bolt to 5 Nm, but I only went to 4 Nm in the front because I'm still afraid I'll bend it even though it's new-and-improved. So apparently I'm still not yet convinced this new top clamp won't bend or break.
    Installed mine to torque last night - seems to have done the trick! Pleased Fox already had a solution, and impressed with how quickly they responded and sent this out to me - thanks guys!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    562
    Humm, I think I'll wait for next spring when I start building my HT to pick one up. Hopefully the batch by then would have the newer clamp.

    Definitely comforting to know they had a solution and quick turnaround.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    I just received mine today and installed it this evening. I took some side-by-side pics below.

    Fox appears to have addressed the two issues with this top clamp; 1) the new one has a lot more material at the front bolt head cradle, which should prevent it from bending or cracking, and 2) the front bolt head cradle is higher and angled a bit upward and back, which should allow all saddles to tilt down fully (and not stress it).

    The specified torque for the seat rail clamp bolts is 5.1 Nm (45 in-lbs). I torqued the rear bolt to 5 Nm, but I only went to 4 Nm in the front because I'm still afraid I'll bend it even though it's new-and-improved (so apparently I'm still not yet convinced this new top clamp won't bend or break?).

    where did you get the updated clamp from? is there a part number to reference?
    2020 yeti sb165 t2

  27. #27
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,370
    It’s purpose built to keep you nut jobs from tilting the nose down. Saddle should be slight back of level or level. Nose down!? Really? Who does that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14,013
    People who value their nuts.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  29. #29
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,370
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    Fox needs to redesign the upper seat rail clamp so 1) it can be angled properly on all bikes, and 2) so that the front bolt hole/slot doesn't crack. I think the the cracking is happening because the front bolt head slips forward slightly and stresses the tip of that bolt hole/slot, depending on seat and seat tube angles.

    Dear Fox Suspension - please make available soon a replacement upper seat rail clamp for the 2021 Fox Transfer seatpost. This is a relatively easy problem to solve without recalling anything.

    I guess I would be the third guy now to report a cracked upper seat rail clamp in this forum? (Sorry I cross-posted, but others and Fox need to know about this.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/components/2...e-1149227.html)
    So is there a design difference from 2020 to 2021? Just wondering because I have a 2020 bike that came with a Fox Transfer. Should I be concerned of this flaw?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Similar Threads

  1. 2021 Fox Transfer Weight
    By LCW in forum Components
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-29-2020, 03:57 PM
  2. Fox transfer dropper lost seatrail clamp
    By silent25r in forum Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-2018, 08:31 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2018, 10:00 AM
  4. Need Fox Transfer 150mm and 35mm clamp stem
    By ben2e in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2016, 09:20 AM
  5. Thomson Seat Clamp - Seatpost Clamp - Seat Post Clamp
    By tvrbob86 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 09:22 AM

Members who have read this thread: 96

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.