2014 Sram XO1 vs 2019 NX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2020

2014 Sram XO1 vs 2019 NX

I Just bought a new 2019 Commencal hardtail on clearance and it comes with the Sram NX groupset. Iím Considering pulling off the really well maintained Sram XO1 groupset that is on my 2014 Niner ROS and switching it out with the NX groupset on the Commencal before selling the old Niner. Iím just wondering if 5 year old XO1 is better or worse than 2019 NX. I realize NX is way down the ladder from XO1, generally speaking, but should the 5 year age difference factor into my decision? Please advise, thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm assuming the "X0" is the 11sp X01. If its in good shape...I'd swap it for the NX. You'll need a different hub body. The NX uses a Shimano HG and SRAM uses their XD driver.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I'm assuming the "X0" is the 11sp X01. If its in good shape...I'd swap it for the NX. You'll need a different hub body. The NX uses a Shimano HG and SRAM uses their XD driver.
    Yes, thatís correct, itís the X01, 11sp and the cassette is the 10-42t for XD hubs. I was going to swap everything but the cassette. Are you saying you would run the NX or the X01?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenbeanz View Post
    Yes, thatís correct, itís the X01, 11sp and the cassette is the 10-42t for XD hubs. I was going to swap everything but the cassette. Are you saying you would run the NX or the X01?
    I can ride 10-42 just fine, it's just a matter of conditioning and getting over the mental hurdle is the biggest issue for most. X01 is significantly better quality than NX. It's a significant downgrade and unless your X01 is messed up, I'd stick with that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    X01 is a lot better. I purposely chose 11 over 12 because the weight savings is significant and is essentially the same technology, if you dont need the big gear then 11 is better. NX would be a big downgrade.

SRAM made their generational leap when they went from 10spd to 11spd, 12spd is a rehash of 11spd. Shimano basically skipped 11spd and made their new gen of tech for 12spd, so going from Shimano 11 to 12 is worth it even if you dont need the gears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Thanks for the feedback everyone who replied. I figured the X01 would be better, just wanted to get confirmation. Just to clarify, there will be no compatibility issues with the X01 shifter and derailer if I keep the PG 1130, 11-42t cassette, right?

Doer of Awesome
    If you ever do get an XD driver and want to upgrade in the future, E-thirteen has the 12 speed upgrade kit that reuses your X01 derailleur and adds a new ratchet wheel to your shifter and then adds in their 12 speed 9-46 cassette and 12 speed chain .... pretty slick setup. I'm running it now on my older x01 stuff and it actually ends up being the lightest 12 speed groupset out there ... even lighter than xx1 Eagle (actually the xx1 11 speed with the conversion kit would be a few grams lighter still)

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperUltraKel View Post
    If you ever do get an XD driver and want to upgrade in the future, E-thirteen has the 12 speed upgrade kit that reuses your X01 derailleur and adds a new ratchet wheel to your shifter and then adds in their 12 speed 9-46 cassette and 12 speed chain .... pretty slick setup. I'm running it now on my older x01 stuff and it actually ends up being the lightest 12 speed groupset out there ... even lighter than xx1 Eagle (actually the xx1 11 speed with the conversion kit would be a few grams lighter still)
    I am considering the e13 conversion kit, but maybe this route would be better? https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...SABEgKTsfD_BwE

Comes with the non xd sunrace cassette.

Doer of Awesome
    I am considering the e13 conversion kit, but maybe this route would be better? https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...SABEgKTsfD_BwE

Comes with the non xd sunrace cassette.
    Sunrace cassette is 586g, Ethirteen is 336g and has more range. are you a member of IMBA? trust me, there is a reason I ask

Doer of Awesome

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperUltraKel View Post
    Sunrace cassette is 586g, Ethirteen is 336g and has more range. are you a member of IMBA? trust me, there is a reason I ask
    Good looking out. Thanks. Nope, not a member of IMBA. Why do you ask?

Doer of Awesome
    Good looking out. Thanks. Nope, not a member of IMBA. Why do you ask?
    One of the perks of IMBA membership is access to ExpertVoice which is essentially a Prodeal site.... lots of cool brands on there and E THIRTEEN happens to be one of them ... basically it would be a significant savings from retail 😉 (I cant publish prices because that itís one of the stipulations of using it) But that being said, Joining IMBA for even $5/month gets you access to the site 😉

Single Track Mind
    Thanks for the feedback everyone who replied. I figured the X01 would be better, just wanted to get confirmation. Just to clarify, there will be no compatibility issues with the X01 shifter and derailer if I keep the PG 1130, 11-42t cassette, right?
    There shouldn't be any compatibility issues, but the NX cassette is super heavy. I would look into whether or not your hub has the option to swap in an XD driver and then use the XO1 cassette.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikeloco View Post
    There shouldn't be any compatibility issues, but the NX cassette is super heavy. I would look into whether or not your hub has the option to swap in an XD driver and then use the XO1 cassette.
    Im getting the e13 12sp upgrade kit.