1x11 crankset compaitbility- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

1x11 crankset compaitbility

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I am considering switching from a 2x10 to 1x11, and from chain reaction its just about an even $200 to buy the shifty bits less the crank, and I already have an XT double crank. I can save $150 (or whatever the difference is to retrofit) if I keep the current crank I have, but is that possible? Do I just need a narrow/wide cog up front? I really don't know much about double cranks and removing one cog and whatnot, nor what is required for proper chainline.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You should read the 1x back pedal issue thread to familiarise yourself with potential issues. The 1X conversion could cost alot more time and money than it is worth

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c8stom View Post
    You should read the 1x back pedal issue thread to familiarise yourself with potential issues. The 1X conversion could cost alot more time and money than it is worth
    I read through a bit, and am seeing that some people have no issue, and others get a backpedal problem after around 2 revolutions. Is this a real world issue? I rare backpedal more than 1/2, if that, to line up the crank for an obstacle. Is there something I am missing?

Mechanic/Thrill Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    I read through a bit, and am seeing that some people have no issue, and others get a backpedal problem after around 2 revolutions. Is this a real world issue? I rare backpedal more than 1/2, if that, to line up the crank for an obstacle. Is there something I am missing?
    Hey man, Yes, you can just buy a narrow-wide chainring and slap it on that XT crank of yours and you'll be all good. Just make sure to note if you have the Shimano asymmetric bolt pattern or the symmetric one when buying your chainring. And as for the backpedal issue, I don't really consider it a problem at all. As a mechanic I've set up plenty of 1x drivetrains and I'd say most of them will drop when backpedaled in the stand, just kinda the reality of having such a wide range. However, thats your climbing gear anyway, so on trail, why would you ever be backpedaling that gear anyway? I know I don't. Sure, in a stand it may seem odd, and backpedaling around the tarmac it may be a little weird, but going up a steep incline in your 42t cog... doubt you'd ever even make it 1 revolution to drop it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCase View Post
    Hey man, Yes, you can just buy a narrow-wide chainring and slap it on that XT crank of yours and you'll be all good. Just make sure to note if you have the Shimano asymmetric bolt pattern or the symmetric one when buying your chainring. And as for the backpedal issue, I don't really consider it a problem at all. As a mechanic I've set up plenty of 1x drivetrains and I'd say most of them will drop when backpedaled in the stand, just kinda the reality of having such a wide range. However, thats your climbing gear anyway, so on trail, why would you ever be backpedaling that gear anyway? I know I don't. Sure, in a stand it may seem odd, and backpedaling around the tarmac it may be a little weird, but going up a steep incline in your 42t cog... doubt you'd ever even make it 1 revolution to drop it.
    Thats what I was thinking. I plan to try and monitor if I ever backpedal on a long ride tomorrow, but assume my findings will be similar. Thanks!