Zip Tie Snow Tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Zip Tie Snow Tires?

I am not having much success searching the form for answers on this.

Has anyone tried this?

How Zip Ties Can Help You Bike Through a Blizzard | WIRED

I want to give it a try this winter, but looking for feedback. I mean if it's a complete waste of time why bother.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

I'd rather be on my bike
    Complete waste of time. That won't give you much extra grip, and if you flat.......
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

CB of the East
    Wicked hard on rim brake pads too but you stop really fast.

It has been discussed before
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/zi...es-675651.html

I think there has been a post here on the commuting forum too but I didn't see it.

mtbr member
    Well...rim brakes - duh. I do have disc.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    It does look like a royal pain in the arse, and a flat would be a nightmare.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Little flat pieces of plastic would help? Not.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Holy Douche-fest Batman!

While not an ideal or permament solution they do work...about as well as tire chains.
    They add edges (which provide bite) to an otherwise ~smooth tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Try hose clamps and let us know how it works out

mtbr member
    I'm just going to mount a propane tank inside my front triangle and 100,000 BTU Weed Dragon to my front fork...

Welding | Torches & Handles | Weed DragonŽ 100,000 BTU Torch Kit w/ Squeeze Valve | B799394 - GlobalIndustrial.com
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Moderator Moderator
    I've seen them tried on a short winter race - any traction issues aside, they imploded (broke) pretty quickly. If I was stranded in a blizzerd with 100 zip ties, I would try it, but otherwise, no.

CB of the East
    ^^Can't argue with logic like that.

EAT MORE GRIME
    useless

and if you hit ice forget about it, worse than bald tires

mtbr member
    Yep. You're better off dropping 10-15 psi from your tires and adjusting your riding style. Winter riding means no more leaning into turns. Leaning into a turn on ice/snow pack causes understeer (front tire wash out). To counter this, approach the turn with body english upright and press down on the outside hand (left hand if right turn, vice versa). Aim the front wheel to a point just past the apex then put down the power to slide the back end out. All the time looking to where you want to turn.

The best way to get good at riding in the snow/ice is to practice, a lot. It's like winter driving. Go find an empty space and spin some "donuts" on the bike. Figure out how where the limit is and how to keep on the vertical side of it. Practice 90* turns, sweeping turns, stopping, starting, etc. Starting on a grassy area is nice, then take it to pavement as skills improve.

CB of the East
    And if you hit a section of pure ice without studs be ready to bounce your head off the ground. Nothing will take a bike down faster than ice.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have gone down on icy pavement faster than I realized that it was icy. I saw the ice, and before it registered in my brain, I was on the ground sliding.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Bedwards Of The West
    That looks like a ton of work for very little traction. I have studs, so I'm not going to try it, but the zip tie idea made me think about just wrapping parachute cord or some small rope around the tire in the same way... one long piece candy-cane style through the spokes and around the outside of the tire. It would be more traction than the zip ties, would last longer (like at least 7 minutes as opposed to 3 minutes) and would be easier to remove if you got a flat. It would still suck on ice, but it would be better on a packed-snow roadway than the zip ties.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I've seen them tried on a short winter race - any traction issues aside, they imploded (broke) pretty quickly. If I was stranded in a blizzerd with 100 zip ties, I would try it, but otherwise, no.
    I wouldnt even take my mitts off to start threading those things.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Oh, sorry, I meant if I was stranded in a nice cozy cabin with100 zipties on hand and an urgent need to be elsewhere.

mtbr member
    And if you hit a section of pure ice without studs be ready to bounce your head off the ground. Nothing will take a bike down faster than ice.
    I beg to differ, glacier-breath! Ice is very, very fast indeed, but not the KOM. I view myself as something of an authority on fast falls. Having had that rare and exceedingly quick front tire blow out while leaned over in a fast turn (19 mph), and having had the bike scoot out from under me on black ice and in a rut taken badly, i'd have to say that the blowout was a hair faster as I was leaned over and closer to the ground. The whoosh of air loss was still in my ears as my face met pavement. Sorry, needless (but funny) to say I did not get the timer out, but the difference in distance to fall is conclusive evidence. I admit that the ice falls were very close to the blow-out fall and all were like, WTF? Ooph! However, the higher height allowed me to a bit of tuck and roll with the ice falls, instead of the too-late realization that the bike was no longer supporting me and the resulting face plant before I could even extend an arm and end up breaking a collar bone instead of pulping my face.

Point taken though ice is fast. Just not the fastest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone who's cut themselves on the tag end of a zip tie would tell you they're sharp... But definitely not durable enough to survive pavement/concrete.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I beg to differ, glacier-breath! Ice is very, very fast indeed, but not the KOM. I view myself as something of an authority on fast falls. Having had that rare and exceedingly quick front tire blow out while leaned over in a fast turn (19 mph), and having had the bike scoot out from under me on black ice and in a rut taken badly, i'd have to say that the blowout was a hair faster as I was leaned over and closer to the ground. The whoosh of air loss was still in my ears as my face met pavement. Sorry, needless (but funny) to say I did not get the timer out, but the difference in distance to fall is conclusive evidence. I admit that the ice falls were very close to the blow-out fall and all were like, WTF? Ooph! However, the higher height allowed me to a bit of tuck and roll with the ice falls, instead of the too-late realization that the bike was no longer supporting me and the resulting face plant before I could even extend an arm and end up breaking a collar bone instead of pulping my face.

Point taken though ice is fast. Just not the fastest.
    I would think that there would be a fraction of a second warning with the blowout where you were slightly in control. Try taking that same corner at 19mph and hitting some black ice. But since you got knocked unconscious or nearly so and I'm the one that merely broke his collar bone, I'll concede.

Glacier breath indeed.

mtbr member
    I would think that there would be a fraction of a second warning with the blowout where you were slightly in control.
    A concussion can affect one's recall (note the disclaimer of accuracy). However, I remember it (note the disclaimer of accuracwith me planted tilted over with weight in the saddle, then free fall. A 1/4 inch diameter hole punched through at one instant was faster than a presta valve popping out. All adhesion was gone with the first wind with no warning. By the time I hears the sound I was halfway to the ground. Ice or a front blow out are both a bit too exciting. I highly recommend avoiding such spills.

CB of the East
    Oh, 1/4" hole, yeah, that would be fast. Maybe you should have had zip ties on your tire.

Bedwards Of The West
    If you had been rocking the zip ties, there's no way you would have been going 19mph, and you probably wouldn't have crashed so hard Clearly these are a safety win.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ^ The OTB at the end of the drive leaving home with my rim brakes would have prevented the ride at all! Apology to OP for going OT:

There was vibration from what holed the tire for three rpm like riding over gravel then splat.