mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Your favorite commute bike and why? (brand, type, quick why)

For now, mine is cannondale caad10, road, gets me home fast after overnight 12 hour shift. Wish i could fat in, road home. Ohhhh to dream..

mtbr member
    My dreambike is pretty much exactly as I have it now, I just wish it would weigh only half of what it does now. A Fargo Ti would also come close to it but I am not willing to spend the on it (yet)....

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Mine holds two 12-packs. Enough reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your favorite commute bike and why? (brand, type, quick why)-q2jkqie.jpg  

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    My new commuter is a Giant Escape 2 Disc. Shown here on the shakedown ride, before I added the rear rack to it.

New Giant Escape 2 Disc

Looks like I need a front rack, too, if I'm gonna be able to carry a case of beer.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My Macho Man Disc (MMD) fits the bill nicely. With bad weather already here, I love the improvement that disc brakes have over rim brakes, especially in freezing weather.

I just added clip on fenders.

It is a comfortable and fast ride. Only way it could be better is if it weighed a bit less.

Since building it at the start of the Summer I've logged just under 1,800 miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your favorite commute bike and why? (brand, type, quick why)-xexdffah.jpg  

psycho cyclo addict
    Gravel/CX for me...

I have a 35+ mile round trip and though I can do it on my rigid SS, hard tail and full suspension MTB's, the miles click off quicker on 2x10 Soma Wolverine.

I run wider knobby tires (2.1 front/1.8 rear) so I can hit some trails and other urban features along the commute routes.

Your favorite commute bike and why? (brand, type, quick why)-img_1194.jpg
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Cycologist
    I also use a CX, Lemond Poprad. My route includes road and single track, mostly road. But I do wish it had disc brakes, especially when on the trails.

Your favorite commute bike and why? (brand, type, quick why)-duck.jpg

(not on my route btw)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    I chose a Salsa Timberjack after careful shopping. It's a "real" MTB with moderate geometry and plus tires and dropper routing but at the same time still has provisions for a normal rack for a kid seat or panniers. It came with a 141QR hub which allows me to install a Chariot hitch with no extra effort, but with various adapters for the Alternator dropouts it can take a wide variety of rear hub styles and widths. Can also mount a wide variety of front forks from rigid carbon to the nicest trail fork... came with a pretty heavy but perfectly functional air-spring Judy. No fenders but I've put MTB mud guards on it. And so far it's been a hoot. I'll let you know if I get tired of it.

turtles make me hot
    I commute on a Dahon folder. I have to because only folding bikes are allowed on the railroad during rush hour.

I wish I could ride my fatty or my Krampus with a set of street wheels and tires.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    using my Salsa Vaya this winter. Fitted with some new Velo Orange fenders, rear rack, and running Compass Barlow superlight til it gets snowy. As with most bikes of this ilk, weight is up there, almost 30lbs. Super comfy ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    mid-90s steel road bike (Specialized Sirrus) when I'm not carrying much weight and roads are dry, rigid 29er (Surly Ogre) when I need to haul groceries etc. My trail riding season is over so I've swapped out the 29+ wheelset for a touring wheelset with gravel tires...I'll put on fenders when the winter gets rainier.

Quote Originally Posted by hmto View Post
    using my Salsa Vaya this winter. Fitted with some new Velo Orange fenders, rear rack, and running Compass Barlow superlight til it gets snowy. As with most bikes of this ilk, weight is up there, almost 30lbs. Super comfy ride
    That's pretty much my ideal commuter bike. I've test ridden a few Vayas but I wonder how it would do as a grocery hauler...think the rear triangle would get flexy with about 40lbs on the rear rack? Depends on the rack too of course...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quite a different spread of bikes for Commuting... i dig it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just refreshed my Gary Fisher Utopia completely with all EX parts, wheels, Carbon forks, new headset, tires, and only thing original is the frame, stem, and seat post. The brakes are no longer bb5 but bb7. I did upgrade the large stock XT chainrings to a FSA because Shimano does good on the arms but their chain rings....well.....they suck unless you can have XTR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    My dreambike is pretty much exactly as I have it now, I just wish it would weigh only half of what it does now. A Fargo Ti would also come close to it but I am not willing to spend the on it (yet)....
    I just remembered that it should be foldable as well.

jrm
    mtbr member

Something with a 70 Gear Inch gear combo

I dont know why but this is my happy place so to say. Whether it be a 700c SS or geared bike i always try to have a gear near or @ 70 GI. I also like somewhat steep angles and the ability to use a rack/basket combo so i dont have to wear a backpack. Ive become more accustom to using flat or alt bars lately because it puts me more upright and improves visibility...

CB of the East
    Whichever one I am on. I like to mix it up so it stays fresh. If I had to pick one it would be a CX bike. I don't have a favorite brand. All the manufacturers seem to make good bikes. Specialized is probably my least favorite since the bearnings on my fatbike seemed to wear out with almost no use. But maybe I'm being petty. The fatboy rides well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mine is an old Gary Fisher utopia that I have two of because I like the frame so much. Rigid forks and high end parts make it a slick and comfortable ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    That's pretty much my ideal commuter bike. I've test ridden a few Vayas but I wonder how it would do as a grocery hauler...think the rear triangle would get flexy with about 40lbs on the rear rack? Depends on the rack too of course...
    I love my Vaya (2014 model, IIRC). I have a lighter aluminum rack (PDW) instead of a heavier duty steel one because the Vaya IS a lighter duty bike than others might be. I wish I could tell you how much weight I've hauled with it. I never used it much as a grocery getter. Back when I bike commuted a lot, I also lived literally across the street from a 24hr grocery store, so I walked...frequently. I'd occasionally stop at other shops on my way home from work, so my loads were generally much less. I think the heaviest individual thing I ever carried was a growler of beer, and I used a Blackburn cargo cage on the downtube for that.

I don't really bike commute where I live now. I REALLY dislike certain spots on the roads around here from a safety standpoint. One spot in particular is a sharp s-curve with really poor visibility on a slope. Going down isn't quite as bad, but climbing up that is NOT good - narrow lanes, significant grade, and occasionally enough traffic to be problematic. So I use my vaya as more of a gravel bike these days, which is making me consider a 650b wheelset so I can install cushier tires. Occasionally I've done a half-commute where I drive past the areas I don't like, park the car, and then bike the rest of the way. Depending on where I need to go, that can work fairly well.

20160604_091707 by Nate, on Flickr