Are you a Vehicularist or a Facilitator?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Are you a Vehicularist or a Facilitator?

According to this article: http://www.slate.com/id/2232555/?gt1=38001

Vehicularists believe bikes should act as cars: occupy full lanes, stop at red lights, use a hand signal at least 100 feet ahead of a turn.

Facilitators say we should change the laws and the environment to recognize the innate differences between bikes and cars. That means special facilities like bike lanes, bike paths (elevated trails separate from the road), and even Copenhagen-style traffic lights for bikes.

The article goes into further detail with the description of each point of view.

So which are you?

I will have to admit that after riding here in Germany, I am a Facilitator for the most part. I do not mind riding in traffic as a vehicle (once again because over here even motorist respect cyclists as equals), but I prefer the tranquility and peace of mind that having my own bike lanes, bike paths, and traffic lights provide.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

The Punk Hucker
    I'm a vehicularist because that's how the law is. Bikes are considered vehicules and must respect traffic laws just like cars.

That said, I'm all for dedicated lanes, lights, etc so in a sense I'm also a facilitator but mostly because cars can't respect bikes and for safety issues, like for pedestrians! But you can't have bike lanes everywhere so we must ride with the cars, just like them.
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    I suppose I'm a realist or opportunist. If there are existing bike facilities that go where I want to go, I certainly will take advantage of them. If not, I try to blend with traffic, and obey traffic laws as much or more than cars do.

I stop at lights and usually signal my turns except in situations where it's dangerous to take one hand off the bars, but I do slow-n-roll through traffic calming 4-way stops in residential areas when there is no other traffic present. I do also make occasional use of sidewalks where it offers a clear advantage. (mainly shortcuts on a big University Campus full of one-way streets) Oh, and I very seldom speed.

Basically, I just want to get where I need to, with a minimum of fuss, danger and inconvenience for myself and others...

weirdo
    I`m with SteveF on this one- mostly try to ride like the cars, but I cheat a lot, especially in slow residential areas. Bike specific or any other nonmotorized trails would be great, but the city I live in is very spread out and for the number of cyclists here, it woud be outrageously expensive on a per bike basis to do much of that. I ride quite a bit and there`s no way I`d want to pay my share of that money- people who don`t ride at all would probably be VERY unhappy about it.
    http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Effecti...oadsWeHave.htm

EDIT: Hey, why can`t I get the second page of that article? It just keeps closing out and I end up back here. Anybody else have trouble with it?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Both? I think that every road should have a bike lane, or enough of a shoulder to facilitate a cyclist. At the same time, one is still riding on the road. When making a left, even with a bike lane, I'm in the left turn vehicle lane with the cars (albeit I am at the right edge of it when permissible).

Off the back...
    Vehicularist here, but edging daily toward opportunist.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm a SteveF(ist) too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhead00
    I'm a SteveF(ist) too.

Clearly I need to copyright that!

Thread Killer
    facilitator, i guess. in my experience, it's just plain dumb to pretend you're a car while on a bike. a wise man once told me that if you're not in a car, you're invisible to cars, and should act as such. so, that's what i do on my bike.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    f
    acilitator, i guess. in my experience, it's just plain dumb to pretend you're a car while on a bike. a wise man once told me that if you're not in a car, you're invisible to cars, and should act as such. so, that's what i do on my bike.
    X2
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

The Brutally Handsome
    I'm a big time fusilli-tater. I can't stand people who ride their bikes 13mph in 25mph traffic when there is a dedicated bike lane 5 feet to the right. I also avoid streets that don't have bike lanes because it's dangerous for bicyclists and motorists alike. But there will always be those roads where the bike lane ends and we are forced to become vehicularists.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Ahh.... a debate that harkens all the way back to the '70s. I'm a do-whatever-the-f*ck-I-want-ist. If it's safe to ride like a vehicularist, I will. If things get hairy, I'll hop a curb. I don't run stop signs and lights, but I'm not above pulling some sh!t to stay safe as long as I don't endanger pedestrians, etc.... Stay safe, stay alive guys because the law is just words on paper, it won't save you.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Blind biker
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    I suppose I'm a realist or opportunist. If there are existing bike facilities that go where I want to go, I certainly will take advantage of them. If not, I try to blend with traffic, and obey traffic laws as much or more than cars do.

I stop at lights and usually signal my turns except in situations where it's dangerous to take one hand off the bars, but I do slow-n-roll through traffic calming 4-way stops in residential areas when there is no other traffic present. I do also make occasional use of sidewalks where it offers a clear advantage. (mainly shortcuts on a big University Campus full of one-way streets) Oh, and I very seldom speed.

Basically, I just want to get where I need to, with a minimum of fuss, danger and inconvenience for myself and others...
    I do the same thing.

My Brain Hurts!
    I ride like I just stole the driver of every cars wallet and they are all trying to run me down....

Seriously, I guess I would have to be a vehiculurisldts or whatever the article called me....though SteveF really nailed it.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Members who have read this thread: 0