Are You an Organ Donor?- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Are You an Organ Donor?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Since day one of my full license.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Organ donor yes I am, was at an airport bar talking to an ER dr, and that is the term he used for all cyclists, organ donor, sounds bad but he had a worse name for motorcyclists.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    As I can still think and type, I guess I'm not.

since 4/10/2009
    Have been for many years but given my health history in the past decade I doubt any doctor would risk putting my organs into another person

mtbr member
    Organ donor as long as it has been an option on driver's licenses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Did you know that over 80% of doctors would refuse an organ transplant to save their own lives? Life after an organ transplant can be very difficult, lots of medications, high risk of infections, let alone risk of disease from the donor. So no I'm not, they're my organs and I'm keeping them. I also would not request one to save myself.

mtbr member
    where did you get that stat?

Wierdo
    Aww, hell.What good will my organs do me when I'm dead? I'm a big believer in salvage. a good portion of my cars and bikes are from what others didn't want or need anymore. I figure if any part of me can make someone's life better they can have it when I'm gone.
    There are two types of bikes: the kind you ride and the kind that get stolen.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankyone View Post
    92% of stats are totally made up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankyone View Post
    An episode of Radiolab. Quality NPR journalism. There's am entire episode about this topic. It's quite illuminating.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/262588-bitter-end/
    Last edited by native29er; 12-13-2015 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Adding link to Radiolab episode

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Thanks. Just listened to it, and while interesting info on Doctors' end of life intervention preferences, I don't believe it actually addressed organ donation at all. More on CPR, breathing tubes, IV feeding, pain meds, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yah I thought it was good food for thought. Although, after having gone back to listen to it again, I recognize it doesn't quite support my point. In fact, my claim misconstrues the data which was contextually different. However, I think the discussion about quality of life is an emerging discussion in the medical community which is gaining traction and needs thoughtful consideration.

It was a better angle on my non-conformity than the actual reason I'm not. As an eternal contrarian and contented fatalist, I can say I have a greater affinity for other creatures. As a self proclaimed nihilist I posit the objection that existing is not necessarily or self evidently preferable to not existing.

But these are all topics which require much more rigorous exploration and thought than I'm given to delve into here. I thought I would interrupt the parade of self congratulatory smugness and back patting here for a moment just to shake things up lol They're my organs and I'm keeping them!!!! mine mine mine mine mine! :P

I'm already convince that the hospital is trying to harvest my organs. I was fixing my chain last week and an ambulance pulled up and they asked me if I was ok. I told them "yeah I'm fine, just fixing a mechanical issue." He said, "are you sure? You weren't in an accident? Do you need a ride to the ER?" Me: yah....I'm sure.

They're coming for you! Body snatchers! Don't make it easier for them hahaha

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Radiolab reference. You are right that it didn't support your point, but it was very interesting information.

mtbr member
    Given untreatable brain injury, what treatments do you want administered? This is a living will/quality of life topic not an organ donor topic. Interesting because helmets will do little to protect our little gray cells. I will have to revisit my living will.

As to the merits of being an organ donor: Ask recipients if they are thankful for organ donors. That is a relevant stat. Anything else is crap.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by native29er View Post
    I thought I would interrupt the parade of self congratulatory smugness and back patting here for a moment just to shake things up lol They're my organs and I'm keeping them!!!! mine mine mine mine mine! :P
    Well, some of us would rather save another's life/sight/etc. than "shake things up" or take our organs to the grave. If you think that makes us smug, that's fine, we really won't care what you think today if you or a loved one end up with our organs tomorrow.

Formerly of Kent
    On my 18th birthday, my dad took me to register for the SSS, and to get a new driver's license. Been an organ donor ever since. Figured I might appreciate the same good will from someone else some day; been lucky enough so far.

If someone can make use of this pile of meat, gristle and bone once I've departed, they are welcome to it. I wish them all the best.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I don't think this is something anyone should argue about. We are all different with different beliefs, philosophies and perspectives on life and we each get to choose what we are going to do with our bodies. If one person wants to donate body parts, that's a great thing do do. If another isn't comfortable with that idea for whatever reason then fair enough and I don't think they should be made to feel guilty about it. It is their body after all.

If you find that hard to agree with, read this: LINK

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Since day one of my full license.
    Same here, and will be for as long as I'm alive....... When I go, it will be an honor to help someone else continue to live.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Well, some of us would rather save another's life/sight/etc. than "shake things up" or take our organs to the grave. If you think that makes us smug, that's fine, we really won't care what you think today if you or a loved one end up with our organs tomorrow.
    I'm just a jerk, I know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When I renew my license coming up on a couple months, I'm going to check this box. My mom got a kidney when both her's were bad. Taking meds every day to not reject the kidney is better than weekly dialysis.