You know you're a bikecommuter when...- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

You know you're a bikecommuter when...

You bike home, put a burger on the grill, bring it inside and pick up a bottle of chainlube off the dining room table instead of the ketchup.

crap magnet
    I've been wearing cycling socks under my suit pants for the last three days. As long as I don't cross my legs it's all good.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Get excited for when cars cut you off, so you can smash in their window or punch off their sideview mirror!

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean

CB of the East
    You look forward to lines of backed up traffic on Memorial Day weekend so you can get the trafficsfaction of passing them all.

mtbr member
    Enjoying the compliments at work about my behind since wearing bike shorts/compression shorts under my work pants.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Bedwards Of The West
    ...you ride your bike to work.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    You ride to work even in the rain/snow/tornado/blizzard/hail/hellfire and brimstone with a smile on your face!

Bedwards Of The West
    You know what kind of mileage you can get out of at least 3 different models of 'city' tire.

You have an opinion about varius 'full coverage' fender designs.

You stock up on wet-wipes even if you don't have kids.

You have a firm stance on the messenger bag vs. backpack vs. pannier debate.

You have at least 3 different 'levels' of gloves or glove combinations.

You measure seasons by the addition or subtraction of layers of bike clothing.

You have added alternate routes to your alternate routes.

Your right pantleg gives you away.

You see 'road rage' as a humorus spectator event.

You know traffic laws better than the folks driving in traffic.

You know the average length of time and various stages and smells of roadkill decomposition.

You see an interesting roadside treasure and think "I'll stop and grab that tomorrow"... for at least 5 days in a row.

You justify spending on clothing and gear based on mileage and lack of gas comsumption.

You are the only one you know who 'gets it'.

You see another commuter, and judge within seconds if they're going to be out there when the weather changes.

You love spring for the weather, but hate it for all the other cyclists stealing your solitude.

You have a low-temp record that you hope to break next winter.

You have had thoughts of riding right past your workplace and not stopping until....well, maybe never.

mtbr member
    @ CommuterBoy - excellent list! I know I'm the only one who gets it and I always wish for rainy days in the spring to wash the rif-raf off my trails!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You are comfortable riding along when surrounded by idiots driving 4000 lb killing machines.

mtbr member
    You refer to your wife and your mother in law as dual air bags....oh wait that's for rednecks
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

CB of the East
    Great list. I especially got a chuckle out of this one. But you have to add that you get pissed when it's gone on the 6th day.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    You see an interesting roadside treasure and think "I'll stop and grab that tomorrow"... for at least 5 days in a row.
    You have your good bike, your rain bike and your really bad weather bike.

You decide which bike to wear based on which shoes are wet.

Your co-workers stop asking "You rode today?"

You see other "bike commuters" riding with a cadence of 20 with their knees pointed out on a Wal-mart bike and you immediately think "OUI"

mtbr member
    You justify spending on clothing and gear based on mileage and lack of gas comsumption.
    Sooooooo true!

Bicycle Addict
    You buy stylish cycling gear so it looks like regular clothes.... maybe that's just me
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    when asked for input into bike lane design, you keep pushing for a "fast lane" option.
    you look at the pile of snow in the bike lane and instead of hopping onto the sidewalk you slide into the middle of a full traffic lane.
    you have a palpable hatred for cyclists who burn through red lights and nearly clip kids who're crossing the street.
    you can identify at a glance who has a floor pump at home and who doesn't.
    your get your spouse unwanted upgrades because... well... it's only fair.
    after all, they have to deal with never owning a car.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    When introduced to strangers they say, "Oh, you're that bike nut!", or the equivalent.

You find a leg reflector holding your pant leg hours after arriving at the destination. You are too used to how that feels.

You appear to have chain ring tattoos on your right calf from slow infusion over the years.

You have over 40 nasty words for 'headwind'.

BrianMc

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyrides07 View Post
    Get excited for when cars cut you off, so you can smash in their window or punch off their sideview mirror!

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean
    I want to do that. and have. I have punched cars and heard horns sound.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    You look forward to lines of backed up traffic on Memorial Day weekend so you can get the trafficsfaction of passing them all.
    My fave. Rep for you.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You'll know your a cycle commuter here in Houston cos you'll be the only one doing it. Half the people thing you are mad while the other half assume you have fallen on hard times - why else would you not drive a car?

weirdo
    Your co-workers stop asking "You rode today?"
    You`d think so, but I STILL get that question every time it rains or snows or is below freezing. Sheesh! It`s been four or five years since I went "full time" on the bike- do people have so little faith in me? Maybe after six years they`ll stop asking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    You`d think so, but I STILL get that question every time it rains or snows or is below freezing. Sheesh! It`s been four or five years since I went "full time" on the bike- do people have so little faith in me? Maybe after six years they`ll stop asking.
    If the bike is in sight, "No I walked it here, I couldn't leave it home alone."

If not, and it looks by your clothing that you rode in, "I just *love* how these clothes make me look."

Or if the smart answer to the dumb question is not appropriate: "For the 1,867th time, yes, I rode today, easier than walking why do you ask?"

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I did not look forward to it, but I inadvertently rode through it Saturday. According to Google Maps, I passed 1.7 mi of cars crawling along.

But I also ran into a gust of headwind where it literally brought me to a full stop at one point.

CB of the East
    You occasionally enjoy the warmth of a big truck exhaust on a cold commute.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You love spring for the weather, but hate it for all the other cyclists stealing your solitude.
    Love this one. I'll take 15 degrees and headlamps over a 90 degree day anytime.

mtbr member
    You are a bike commuter when you regularly tell others that riding home from work in 115 degrees really isn't as bad as you might imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by rigiddaddy View Post
    You'll know your a cycle commuter here in Houston cos you'll be the only one doing it. Half the people thing you are mad while the other half assume you have fallen on hard times - why else would you not drive a car?
    Here in AZ they all think it's because you have a DUI, hard times means you just cancel insurance.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You can't move your car because the battery is flat.
    You have skinny arms but huge thighs.
    You can change a puncture faster than an F1 pit crew.
    You can't answer your bosses question because you were thinking about the ride home.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    when asked for input into bike lane design, you keep pushing for a "fast lane" option.

lol. London needs some of those badly

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaddy View Post
    I've been wearing cycling socks under my suit pants for the last three days. As long as I don't cross my legs it's all good.
    definitely guilty of this, best days are when my socks actually match my pants.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You keep your backpack on when grabbing a water/coffee from the kitchen in the morning in hopes that nobody notices the sweat caused by said backpack

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When a coworker gets pissed because they don't recognize YOUR car in their parking spot.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You get in trouble for getting someone driving out to the satellite office to move three boxes there for you because you prefer riding out there from home rather than going into the office and taking the company car.

Pedal Damn It!
    "You have a low-temp record that you hope to break next winter."

This is my favorite, I was hoping all winter that I would get to ride in weather colder than 12 degrees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    You get in trouble for getting someone driving out to the satellite office to move three boxes there for you because you prefer riding out there from home rather than going into the office and taking the company car.
    Do I understand correctly, that instead of someone else moving 3 boxes, as they would be there anyway, they wanted you to do round trip in a company car so you could do it yourself?

A bike has nothing to do with that. Unless there is something super special in the boxes that requires your expertise or access to a room that should not be entered by the other person, I just think this is moronic. Your time and the car's wear and tear, for what? Document this. You may soon be acquiring a list that may be useful should the same moron threaten your continued employment. Besides, it may be the basis for a future comedy. Maybe he wanted you out of the office for some personal reason?

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Do I understand correctly, that instead of someone else moving 3 boxes, as they would be there anyway, they wanted you to do round trip in a company car so you could do it yourself?

A bike has nothing to do with that. Unless there is something super special in the boxes that requires your expertise or access to a room that should not be entered by the other person, I just think this is moronic. Your time and the car's wear and tear, for what? Document this. You may soon be acquiring a list that may be useful should the same moron threaten your continued employment. Besides, it may be the basis for a future comedy. Maybe he wanted you out of the office for some personal reason?

BrianMc
    Correct. I had a job at the field office that required the gear in the three boxes. Someone, from another dept, was heading out there anyway two days prior to when I planned to perform the job so I figured I'd get everything together and ask if they would bring it out there for me. The boxes are the ones that printer paper come packed in and the combined weight was under 50 pounds.

Mainly it was because I was handing over the gear to the care of someone in another dept that my boss did not like. Est value is about $500 of materials and I ensured there was no sensitive data business or customer data. Anything that could have contained sensitive information was encrypted anyhow so it would not have been accessible to any common miscreant to steal any data.

The reason I did this was so that I could bike into the field office rather than take the company car. The main office and my residence are equidistant to the field office and if I have no business taking the car, then I try not to. I have transported about $10k of material between the two offices in my backpack on my bike before also.
    Last edited by jseko; 06-03-2012 at 02:30 PM.

GiANT REVEL 1
    @commuterboy
    Your right pantleg gives you away. <----THIS!!!! HAHAHA

blet drive
    you wear man preis as dress pants. yes they look just that nice.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    you wear man preis as dress pants. yes they look just that nice.
    What are those?

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    What are those?
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

psycho cyclo addict
    You continually search for additional bits of trail along your commute route to avoid the drone of combustion engine vehicles and heat amplifying pavement whenever possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you know exactly what part of your route is the official LBS bail-out for spare parts and you plot your route home to coincide with the LBS and which pub has handi-wipes with their chicken wings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You have at least 3 different 'levels' of gloves or glove combinations.
    Just counted: 6!
    You know traffic laws better than the folks driving in traffic.
    And yet still don't obey them.
    You see another commuter, and judge within seconds if they're going to be out there when the weather change.
    They won't be.
    You have a low-temp record that you hope to break next winter.
    12 degree F. Such a wuss.

Jamis Dragon 29 Race

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by yackrr View Post
    12 degree F. Such a wuss.

Jamis Dragon 29 Race
    LOL... mine was 9 degree F this year.. Was bad when going down the street the lenses of my glasses fogged up and turned to ice.

You know you are a bike commuter when your normal riding route differs from the "driving" route that you would take and if you happen to be in the neighborhood you have a strange draw to drive the same route you ride.

mtbr member
    Last year I was driving somewhere with my wife, and we were approaching an intersection. Since I was going to be making a right turn, I stuck out my right arm to signal. My wife had no idea why I was suddenly holding my hand out in front of her face.

mtbr member
    You have over 40 nasty words for 'headwind'.
    My coworkers can tell which direction the wind is blowing and how strong based on what mood I'm in when I show up They don't call Chicago 'The windy city' for nothing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    When you show up late to work, only to find that your co-wokers have organized a search party for you, thinking you've been run over and left for dead.

At least they had the presence of mind not to call home and freak out the wife.

Jamis Dragon 29 Race

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you remember your multi-tool but not your lunch.
    your kid would rather throw the poncho on and ride through the rain than go sit in the diner and wait for it to stop.
    you remember your last 3 pedal bite events, but don't know what the heck your manager's first name is.
    rob? dale? francesca?

crap.

mtbr member
    When you show up late to work, only to find that your co-wokers have organized a search party for you, thinking you've been run over and left for dead
    Ha! That's another one I get. If I'm running late I'll typically get a text from a co-worker "Are you dead?"

mtbr member
    You spend so much time in your cleats that you're comfortable enough to occasionally leave them on all day.

You're so used to having your right pant leg rolled up that you don't notice until someone asks if you're "making a fashion statement."

Your pants all have grease stains on the inside of the right pant leg that are only exposed when you roll it up.

You know exactly how many hours it takes to recharge you lights for the ride home.

You can't really accept any gifts or things to take home because you can't fit them in your saddle bag.

Likewise, you can't take a brown-bag lunch because it won't fit in your saddle bag.

You have an entire wardrobe at work.

You know the cycle of all the lights on your route to work.

You have a true appreciation of just how many people are driving around with their noses buried in their cellphones texting away like teenagers!

mtbr member
    You've studied the online local weather radar images soo much that you know exactly - in minutes - how long you have until the rain starts and whether it will cross your commute.

You can do the same for wind direction using the noaa graphs.

AND... you'll try to thread that needle by leaving at the exact minute that might get you home without getting wet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoShoes View Post
    "You have a low-temp record that you hope to break next winter."

This is my favorite, I was hoping all winter that I would get to ride in weather colder than 12 degrees.
    -20 F for me! And I'm not even hardcore. I know guys up here who've ridden in -40 F with wind.

CB of the East
    -18F for me and I have no strong urge to break it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    7 F was cold enough for me, gatorade froze solid.
    I don't buy dress socks anymore, just REI wool blend socks that I pedal
    in and sort of go with khakis
    When i'm driving my car and start driving my bike route instead of where I need to go in my car.

mtbr member
    When the bottom of most, if not all, of your pants have traces of bike grease.
    "Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you know you were a bike commuter during your club days in the 90's when you dig your leather pants out of the bottom drawer and find there are (still) chainring tears in the inside of the right cuff.

CB of the East
    You know you are a bike commuter when 80% of your inbox is MTBR notifications and the last 20% is from: Bike Nashbar, Performance Bicycle, Bike Tires Direct, Bikeman, Tree Fort Bikes and or course, Amazon Recommends: ...chain, tires, cassette... 'cause you searched for it in the past

mtbr member
    Haha, I just cleaned out my inbox yesterday of mostly MTBR notifications.

Moderator Moderator
    You know you're a bikecommuter when those dumb stories on the news about the price of gas actually are news.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This just in : gas is expensive!

Jamis Dragon 29 Race

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    You know you're a bikecommuter when those dumb stories on the news about the price of gas actually are news.
    So true, I haven't filled up my car for over a month. I keep track of the price so I know how much I save in gas money to put towards my biking passion.

Pedal Damn It!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    -20 F for me! And I'm not even hardcore. I know guys up here who've ridden in -40 F with wind.
    Considering the fact that a year ago I was in Shreveport, LA riding in 100F weather, I think handling 12F is damn good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    LOL... mine was 9 degree F this year.. Was bad when going down the street the lenses of my glasses fogged up and turned to ice.

You know you are a bike commuter when your normal riding route differs from the "driving" route that you would take and if you happen to be in the neighborhood you have a strange draw to drive the same route you ride.
    You need some Cat Crap

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Haha, well said. I love hearing people complain about how much gas their big truck uses when they easily live within riding distance.

CB of the East
    You make a mental note of the wind strength and direction even when you are in your car.

mtbr member
    You know you're a bikecommuter (who moonlights as a mountainbiker) when you're actually glad to be caught in a downpour, since it means that you can finally say goodbye to all that mud that you've been too lazy to clean off your bike.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    You know you're a bikecommuter (who moonlights as a mountainbiker) when you're actually glad to be caught in a downpour, since it means that you can finally say goodbye to all that mud that you've been too lazy to clean off your bike.
    Plus 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You make a mental note of the wind strength and direction even when you are in your car.
    OMG, yes..... which reminds me of this quote:

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. ~ Ernest Hemingway

weirdo
    Yeah, next to sailors and pilots, we`re probably the most wind direction aware of our respective communities.

Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    OMG, yes..... which reminds me of this quote:
    Cool. I never heard that one before, but my thoughts have run in the same direction.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    you know exactly what part of your route is the official LBS bail-out for spare parts and you plot your route home to coincide with the LBS and which pub has handi-wipes with their chicken wings.
    And which LBS's carry which brands.

• Your coworkers start taking bets on whether you rode in during the snow storm. Some of them no longer question, but instead just message you at work to turn their computers on.
    • Along the same lines, you know which roads you can take, and which ones you can't...
    • You get more mileage on your bicycle each year commuting than most of your coworkers do driving around.
    • You can't remember the last time you filled up the car, but 2009 sounds about right.
    • Your car is from 2004, but only has 2000 miles on it.
    • Your bikes are from 2009, 2011 and 2012, but they all have over 2000 miles on them.
    • You don't mind tolls on the bridge or people complaining about the tolls on the bridge. It's just another excuse for you to spend more money on your bike.
    • You max out the weight limit on the salad bar at work with as much food as you can... every day.
    • You count calories each day, not because you are trying to lose weight, but because you don't want to bonk on the way home.
    • You know where all the public restrooms are... and what time they close.
    • As above, but for LBS's.
    • You know where all the coffee shops are, and which ones are real coffee shops. And what time they close.
    • You recognize that while Starbucks isn't a real coffee shop, they'll do in a pinch.
    • You also appreciate the importance of having a towel and a spare pair of socks at work. And a nice, hot shower if you're lucky enough to have showers at your workplace.
    • You appreciate seasonal activities that occur on your daily rides home, such as a heron returning to its nest each year, or the presence of baby goslings on the trail, or the sudden appearance of hot university ladies running along the trail. Women of UW, I salute you!
    • You can tell how long it's going to take you to get home by which landmark you're passing. You have, for example, a T-1h mark.
    • You have several different routes to work, all of which have their various pro's and con's.
    • You know whether it's faster to bike or drive to various locations near work, and you get grumpy whenever it takes longer to drive there than it would have to bike.
    • You recognize the same people out riding at the same time every day... and they start to recognize you too.
    • You've ridden home at 2am in the morning after a late shift at work, because none of the buses were running.
    • At least one relationship has started with you commuting to and from work by bike.....

CB of the East
    There is a certain amount of grit in your coffee that is acceptable.

mtbr member
    When you ride past the local speedtrap and the police wave hello.

mtbr member
    You haven't driven you car to work since you bought/built your commuter rig.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    You give up the pretense of being a mountain biker in favor of fitting out your favorite ride with a rack and panniers.

mtbr member
    You read this thread and realize you can never ever complain again about your 22mile commute (roundtrip) that takes you through downtown San Diego, along mission bay and has one hill.

BTW, my low temp record is 42f. Dead of "winter", only time wished i had pants.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post

AND... you'll try to thread that needle by leaving at the exact minute that might get you home without getting wet.
    Love this one. In Southwest monsoon season I know exactly how this goes. If you don't get that hole, you are doomed for the next 2 hours

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You give up the pretense of being a mountain biker in favor of fitting out your favorite ride with a rack and panniers.
    So true. My MTB hasn't had fat tyres on it for ages.

weirdo
    ^^My commuter now bears so little resemblance to an mtb that a coworker who was looking it over once referred to it as a road bike. I tried to explain how the particular bike he was looking at was NOT a road bike, but I don`t think he understood. I thought that was kinda funny

CB of the East

Who says you have to choose?

Someone needs another bike. N+1 baby, N+1

mtbr member
    You know you're a commuter when the geese sitting on the bike path start to recognize you and no longer hiss as you drive past.
    Proud dad, coffee and beer lover, 2 wheel advocate, lifelong learner. Wife's blog: http://www.mymotheringmadness.com/

mtbr member
    There is a certain amount of grit in your coffee that is acceptable.
    This one is very funny! Just like the grit on your bottles on the trails!

mtbr member
    I've been working here a little over a year and just started commuting three weeks ago...

You know you are a bike commuter when you haven't driven you car for three weeks straight and you actually hear a rumor about you..."Maybe he got a DUI and can't drive now."

LMAO.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Moderator Moderator
    ^^I went through that too.

When you can chuckle at this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    You understand the importance of remembering which you put on first: headphones or helmet.

I still have yet to master this and end up a tangled mess every stop.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    "Maybe he got a DUI and can't drive now."
    Cool!

mtbr member
    Well, if I lived closer to work I'd take the pedal-powered two-wheeler. However, my round trip daily is 66 miles. So I take my motorized one. (the motorcycle).

I ride in all conditions, and go through the exact same headaches you guys do with the morons on the road.

I ride my bicycle to the gym, the store, etc, and love cutting through traffic at lights. It's fantastic to watch the look on people's faces when you make it there faster than they do because they're sitting in traffic in their land-barge SUV's.

Love it.

Two wheels, erry day. Getter' dun!

haha.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member

You just might be a bike commuter if...

...your work day begins and ends with you getting naked.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    You understand the importance of remembering which you put on first: headphones or helmet.

I still have yet to master this and end up a tangled mess every stop.
    I do pretty well when I'm limited to those 2. It's when you have thermal base-layer, thermal top, headphones, windproof shell, skullcap, reflective vest & helmet that I can get confused.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    Well, if I lived closer to work I'd take the pedal-powered two-wheeler. However, my round trip daily is 66 miles. So I take my motorized one. (the motorcycle).

I ride in all conditions, and go through the exact same headaches you guys do with the morons on the road.

I ride my bicycle to the gym, the store, etc, and love cutting through traffic at lights. It's fantastic to watch the look on people's faces when you make it there faster than they do because they're sitting in traffic in their land-barge SUV's.

Love it.

Two wheels, erry day. Getter' dun!

haha.
    I miss my motorcycle(s) (I had 2 Ninja 250's, then a V-Strom 650). My daily round trip commute is 50-60 miles by bicycle, about half that by motorcycle, but the drivers around here are so bad and the road conditions aren't great, so the risk wasn't worth it. I was going through a rear tire every 6000-8000 mi with a gentle right hand too on harder compound tires.

I'd call my commute abnormal though hahaha... I wish more people were like you, taking their bikes for their shorter trips. I was chatting to a friend who works at Amazon in the new South Lake Union campus. He rides a BMW K1200R, but lately has been taking a MTB to work because parking is insanely expensive, but more importantly it can take him more than 30 minutes to drive/ride his motorcycle to his squash courts... 8 blocks away. 5 minutes on the bicycle.

mtbr member
    When you have one set of winter underwear (cotton) but four sets of cycling under layers of different weights in wool, or in my case, silk as I am allergic to wool.

BrianMc

I'm SUCH a square....
    When you give someone directions, and you have to stop and think about it, because of all the shortcuts you can take on the bike that a car can't.

When drivers get so used to seeing you, they no longer try to hassle you.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    you put 1' wide tyres on full suspension downhill bike

mtbr member
    ^ or alternatively, you tell your roadie friends that you finally got a new set of slicks - "Yeah, they're 2.35s...so 60mm" - and it's like you're speaking gibberish to them.
    Last edited by newfangled; 08-16-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I am at the airport waiting to leave for a business trip. Of course it's a zoo here with all the summertime kettles flying. I just walked past a slow-moving family on the concourse and before I initiated the pass, without even thinking, I called out "on your left".

Nobody calls out on your left at the airport...

jrm
    mtbr member

When you say " i dont a bag"

and the clerk watches, in amazement as you stuff two 22ozs, a bean and cheese burrito and bag of chips into an commute bag already full of clothes

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I am at the airport waiting to leave for a business trip. Of course it's a zoo here with all the summertime kettles flying. I just walked past a slow-moving family on the concourse and before I initiated the pass, without even thinking, I called out "on your left".

Nobody calls out on your left at the airport...
    That`s funny! I guess if it happens at SOME airport, it`s most likely to be Seatac or Portland.

Natural Born Killer
    You have to move your backpack, gloves and helmet out of your office because they stink...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You have a take home company vehicle and leave it parked at the office.

mtbr member
    You know you are a bike commuter when the remnants of hurricane Isaac roll into town threatening to dump 2 to 4" of rain...and you ride to work anyways.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

CB of the East
    You know you are a bike commuter when your gym locker contains shaving cream, chain lube and bug dope.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    When you look at the calender on 9/20/12 and realize that the last time you drive to work was early June.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by goalie View Post
    When you look at the calender on 9/20/12 and realize that the last time you drive to work was early June.
    I haven`t arrived at work by any means other than bicycle since March of last year.
    Whoo!

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I miss my motorcycle(s) (I had 2 Ninja 250's, then a V-Strom 650).
    When I don't commute on my bike, I still get to commute on my bike. I take the "big" bike if I have to pick up a few things on the way home.

'94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    I haven`t arrived at work by any means other than bicycle since March of last year.
    Whoo!
    Because of my bike commuting I just got a "healthy workplace award" at work - it's a 1/2 day off with pay, so whoo! Someone else nominated me, but when I was completing the form I was trying to list major accomplishments - I've ridden at 32C and -32C, I've had a few 50km days to get out to training or whatever, and the last time that I didn't ride to work was.......sometime in 2010 when I'd sprained my ankle the night before on the ride home? Yup, I guess that's right.

weirdo
    Aw, man! You took the wind right outa my sails
    I`m keeping my band, but you deserve an even bigger one-

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    When you've never arrived at work or college except by bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    U force urself to drive the car even so the battery doesn't die

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1 View Post
    Haha, I just cleaned out my inbox yesterday of mostly MTBR notifications.
    You can set a filter to move those to a separate mail folder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    U force urself to drive the car every once in awhile so the battery doesn't die.

You think your friends are silly for admiring the newest sexy luxury car; because you only judge a vehicle by how many bikes I can fit on it.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyandthewhale View Post
    When you've never arrived at work or college except by bike.
    That one is going to be REALLY tough to top!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When you know every bike shop in your city.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    When every bike shop in your city knows you.

Bedwards Of The West
    You guys have more than one bike shop in your city?

...when you hold out until October 1st to wear long sleeves because of your self-imposed annual cold weather acclimatization ritual.

mtbr member
    You guys have more than one bike shop in your city?
    I was just thinking that I don't even know how many bike shops we have. I've only been to 5 or 6 of them and know of at least 5 or 6 more.

CB of the East
    My LBS that was only one town away closed last month.

Bedwards Of The West
    Dude. We have gone years with none. The one we have now is doing pretty well though... I would never let anyone else work on my bike anyway, so I'm OK there...but it's nice to have a place to get parts and a local business to support.

CB of the East
    I always felt bad ordering parts online for half the price that showed up on my doorstep in half the time. Most times when I really needed a part the same day they didn't have it. I ended up driving an hour one day to get brake pads because I was headed out on a trip.... Every time I tried to support my LBS I got frustrated.

I'm almost relieved because the guilt is gone. I did like the group rides and the occasional repair that requires a tool that I don't own.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I hear every word of that.

mtbr member
    When your coworkers don't see your bike and are shocked to see you at work.

mtbr member
    I always felt bad ordering parts online for half the price that showed up on my doorstep in half the time. Most times when I really needed a part the same day they didn't have it. I ended up driving an hour one day to get brake pads because I was headed out on a trip.... Every time I tried to support my LBS I got frustrated.

I'm almost relieved because the guilt is gone. I did like the group rides and the occasional repair that requires a tool that I don't own.
    I don't spend much money at the shop I go to. I will buy tools there and other items like shoes and gloves and stuff that's hard to find for a good price online. It's not that I don't like to buy stuff there, but I guess I'm just cheap.

toscano
    When you are faster than cars, you are really happy to be on your bike, you save money, you get slimmer, you help this planet, when every morning you choose the bike and there is some powder on your car

CB of the East
    When you're never bought a black rubber bungie cord but you have 20.

When every bike shop in your city knows you.
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    When your coworkers don't see your bike and are shocked to see you at work.
    LOL @ The bike shop in the city knows you. We have too many bike shops... but the ones I frequent know me by name, and my really local guys always look forward to me dropping by because I usually bring beer! My coworkers just look for my bike to see whether I came to work or not.

You know you're a bike commuter when...
    You race your car driving companions home... and beat them. They live 12 miles away, you live 30 miles away. (every time it snows)
    You and your fellow bike commuters direct the shuttle drivers down back alley roads that no one in their right mind would ever optionally drive down, because there's so much traffic on the arterial streets. (yesterday)

Bedwards Of The West
    When you're never bought a black rubber bungie cord but you have 20.

mtbr member
    You have been reading The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread for many Long Cold Winters

Bedwards Of The West
    ... when you are the OP on the Long Cold Winter Suport Thread

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    When you wear you cycling shoes with your dress clothes into a business meeting because you forgot your dress shoes at home...and spend the entire day hiding your feet under the table so that nobody notices your shoes...yep...

mtbr member
    When everyone knows you as the big guy who rides across town on his bike.

When your thighs are as big as tree logs.

And I'm a clydesdale as well and people are surprised when I prefer owning/riding bicycles over getting a car.
    Last edited by ThundaCrymz; 11-19-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    Finally rolling on 29" x 2.0" Schwalbe Big Apples

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You realise that getting knocked off you bike by a car is just part of a normal week.
    'One Mind, One Gear, One Love'

CB of the East
    Your nose is just a little bit chapped 6 months out of the year.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 11-28-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Fat fingers

mtbr member
    Your 'farmer tan' includes the lower legs and half of your forehead.

Brianmc

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    U force urself to drive the car even so the battery doesn't die

They make battery maintainers for that reason

mtbr member
    ...when your skin is chapped all winter.

mtbr member
    ...you know which traffic lights have traffic sensors that actually work for bikes, and which ones don't sense two-wheeled vehicles at all.

I hate waiting at a left-turn lane or forward lane that clearly doesn't acknowledge my prescence

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    When you judge your favorite pants by which ones fit your mini u-lock in the back pocket

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    You've studied the online local weather radar images soo much that you know exactly - in minutes - how long you have until the rain starts and whether it will cross your commute.
    Perfect!

CB of the East
    80% of your Christmas presents involve keeping warm. And the other 20% involve food.

mtbr member
    The best gift you got for Christmas was a pair of Perl Izumi Elite shorts.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Moderator Moderator
    Your 4 winter bike tires cost more than your 4 winter car tires.

mtbr member
    You are approaching your six month of commuting and only drove your car one day.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

CB of the East
    When you really know how satisfying a good snot rocket can be.

weirdo
    ^^That just might be true. My wife can`t understand how I can launch them and I can`t understand why she needs all that Kleenex. Maybe cause she doesn`t ride?
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    I'm pretty sure I cleansed my soul with one this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    You are approaching your six month of commuting and only drove your car one day.
    My girlfriend took me home one day after we had lunch together. But that was only because sleeping on the couch isn't very comfortable.

^^That just might be true. My wife can`t understand how I can launch them and I can`t understand why she needs all that Kleenex. Maybe cause she doesn`t ride?
    I swear to god I need to buy stock in Kleenix with my girlfriend. She goes through the Costco packs in under a month on her own. 99% of our trash consists of Kleenix tissues. Meanwhile, I blow snot rockets and use the occasional handkerchief.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    When u stack two slices of pizza together and eat both at the same time fro dinner on your ride home from work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ...annual ride your bike to word day doesn't register in your consciousness.

CB of the East
    ^^That's the day when all your coworkers get sick of you telling them that they should try it.

mtbr member
    When you see a pothole you reflexively pull up to hop over it...even though you're in a car.

(I saw that mentioned in another thread and realized that I totally do it)

mtbr member
    When some 'low-life' steals the bike you took months to build/buy and replace it in an hour so you can ride.

AOL.com Video - Iowans Bicycles Stolen During 3,000 Mile Ride

That is a spirit we can relate to. Riding all day for 47 days sounds like a job to me.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    ...when you get all the way home before you realize your undies have been flapping in the breeze the whole time.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Ha, I did that last week...luckily not the same day I forgot my undies for work!

weirdo
    When you see a pothole you reflexively pull up to hop over it...even though you're in a car.
    Yeah, that`s a pretty good indication!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I told someone that I rode my bike to work. They asked, "Oh, yea? Harley." I replied, "No. Schwinn."

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GPolly1 View Post
    I told someone that I rode my bike to work. They asked, "Oh, yea? Harley." I replied, "No. Schwinn."
    I get that alot as well.

mtbr member
    When you find yourself trying to figure out how to ride the town you are visiting while actively looking for cyclists. Shuddering while driving un-safe cycling portions of the drives is a subset of this.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Finished building my new bike, woke up the next morning at 6, showered, shaved, etc. Packed lunch and headed out for the maiden voyage. Traffic seemed unusually light. Noticed night buses were still running. Pedaled on. Wow, traffic is extremely light. Opened the garage door at work, rode down the ramp. No cars... dammit... Sunday.
    I don't know if this proves my status as bike commuter or just shows that I'm not too bright but riding to work sure can be addictive.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I did the same thing one Saturday morning ten years ago, saw way too many cars in driveways and people smiling before waking up all the way.

CB of the East
    You can't decide if your jacket will dry faster right-side-out or inside-out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    when u show up somewhere with your car and people are surprised that you own one.

mtbr member
    ^^ Or that you have a valid (not suspended) driver's license!

BrianMc

mtbr member
    When you have helmet hair even on days you don't ride, or when you just give up trying to fix it and let it stick up all day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    when you keep seeing the "the confessional: I didn't ride my bike today because..." thread.
    and keep asking yourself "who the heck's posting in there??"

no, seriously, here's mine for today:
    when you take home 70 pounds of bicycle tubes in the hope that maybe buried in the bag you'll find some unpunctured ones, and don't think twice about spending a good tuesday night pumping them up one by one and then marking the punctures for future patching.

But I've won! so far 3 undamaged tubes out of about 100.
    Hey, 3% in 24 hours is an excellent return in the stock market!

CB of the East
    when you keep seeing the "the confessional: I didn't ride my bike today because..." thread.
    and keep asking yourself "who the heck's posting in there??"
    That would be me. I have my own stash of almost good tubes but not 70lbs worth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You've actually run over a pidgeon. Hey, the homeless dudes shouldn't be feeding them in the middle of the bike path! I felt pretty aweful afterward. Poor bird.

weirdo
    That`s okay, Smudge. As soon as you left, the homeless guys probably went from feeding the pigeons to feeding ON pigeon.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    You are more interested in the wind speed and directions in the forecast than the temps once it is above 40F.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That`s okay, Smudge. As soon as you left, the homeless guys probably went from feeding the pigeons to feeding ON pigeon.
    That or I made some of the Embarcadero's feral cats very happy...

mtbr member
    You're mistaken Rodar, homeless guys don't eat pigeons, they eat strawberries!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-of...t=strawberries

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You have a storage area at work which is known as your bike cupboard
    My manager actually asked me if it was ok if she put some stuff in there

mtbr member
    You get asked: do you actually own a car?

Bedwards Of The West
    You can't decide if your jacket will dry faster right-side-out or inside-out.
    Excellent. So true.

You leave the house a bit late... and still take the long way.

mtbr member
    You drive to work one day and spend 15 minutes trying to figure out how to u-lock the car to the bikerack and cable all four wheels with a two meter cable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    When you get sad no classes for the summer, because of the bike ride to compus.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    You're not sure if you should laugh at this comic or not.
    You know you're a bikecommuter when...-rhymes-orange-1.gif

local trails rider
    ... you have 4 (or more) optional routes to select between, depending on season, weather, mood, and which way you are going.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Moderator Moderator
    @Junior^^^ Ha! I choose to laugh, it is what some people think. But I think "why isn't that guy wearing shorts in summer?"

CB of the East
    You have a chance to carpool home...in the cold rain. But you decide to ride anyway 'cause it will help to clear your head.

Back in the Saddle Again
    You go from asking $500 firm for your car to $200 and barter and trade with the LBS owner.

mtbr member
    Every time you look at a gasoline receipt, you drop it and run away screaming.."GAAA!!!!! MY EYES!!!! IT BURNS, IT BURNS!!!!"

Back in the Saddle Again
    You are excited about your upcoming meeting with the LBS owner to discuss upgrades he is going to offer in a barter/trade deal for my Subie.

mtbr member
    The other night, I was getting ready to get the family piled into the minivan to get ice cream at the local dairy farm (June is local dairy farm month, who knew?) and grabbed my cycling shoes and almost put my helmet on.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swoody View Post
    Ha! That's another one I get. If I'm running late I'll typically get a text from a co-worker "Are you dead?"
    Any cyclist gets run over and makes the news and the next day your co-workers tell you they were worried it was you, even if the accident in question happened in a different part of the city and they know where you live.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    When you say "I don't need a bag" and the clerk watches, in amazement as you stuff two 22ozs, a bean and cheese burrito and bag of chips into an commute bag already full of clothes
    Chrome Metropolis is great for this. "I don't need a bag" and in goes a cantaloupe, a half gallon of milk, several cans of beans, and some other stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddCelt View Post
    You are excited about your upcoming meeting with the LBS owner to discuss upgrades he is going to offer in a barter/trade deal for my Subie.
    My LBS said he hasn't owned a car in 17 years, that would be a bust.

CB of the East
    The idea that you might need to take the car to work for your job annoys you.

mtbr member
    34F. Windy and raining. And maybe snow later? Daytime high is supposed to be 38F. But I really don't want to bother digging out my jacket, and it's not like these temperatures will actually hurt me, so a tshirt it is.

mtbr member
    ...you have an eye appointment across town at 9am in the morning. So you take the car to work, go to the appointment, then drive home, get the bike, leave the car at home and ride to work.

[doubletake looks at work as you arrive on the bike] "I thought you drove to work today..."

Me: "I did...earlier."
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Moderator Moderator
    The idea that you might need to take the car to work for your job annoys you.
    +1! I'm even annoyed when I have to use their car and can't ride in or home

34F. Windy and raining. And maybe snow later? Daytime high is supposed to be 38F. But I really don't want to bother digging out my jacket, and it's not like these temperatures will actually hurt me, so a tshirt it is.
    Newf, I think 34F could actually hurt, as in hypothermia! I believe more people suffer from it in the 30's and 40's than in really cold temps, especially if they get wet. Grab a windbreaker at least - you're making me shiver from here.

mtbr member
    You go commando at least once a month... and not on purpose. Lovely when you're meeting with the company's president

mtbr member
    You go commando at least once a month... and not on purpose. Lovely when you're meeting with the company's president
    This is the one that keeps getting me! I take in scrubs and undershirts regularly, socks as well, but somehow I keep forgetting underwear! This past week I was convinced that I had plenty of underwear in my stash of spare work clothes at work and managed to forget to bring in any for three days in a row, after discovering that no, there weren't any underwear left in that locker after all!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I guess that's better than forgetting your pants and having to walk around in your underwear.

Moderator Moderator
    You arrive at work happy and wide awake, and wonder people seem so grumpy and half asleep.

CB of the East
    When you do drive you have this sense that you should be wearing a helmet when you walk out the door.

mtbr member
    ...you are paranoid you have left your underwear at work.

mtbr member
    When you drive somewhere and you're walking around, you keep checking your shoes..........'cause you don't hear your clips tapping on the floor.

mtbr member
    This probably isn't bike-commuter specific, but I think the reason I did it is because of commuting:

You're building a new wheelset, and you regease and repack the brand-new hubs because you're pretty sure that you can do a better job than the shimano factory.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

This probably isn't bike-commuter specific, but I think the reason I did it is because of commuting:

You're building a new wheelset, and you regease and repack the brand-new hubs because you're pretty sure that you can do a better job than the shimano factory.
    You should ALWAYS check and readjust any loose ball, cup and cone (such as Shimano) hub before first use. Repack as needed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, the front was waaaay too tight. Rear might have been okay, but was going to be torn apart regardless to loctite the driveside locknut (which is another thing that isn't specific to commuting, but which I do because of commuting)

CB of the East
    When something as simple as a tissue can bring pleasure at the end of a cold winter commute.

mtbr member
    When snow is 1 1/2 foot deep and you get excited to blast through it for 7 miles!
    14 years, 6 bikes, 1 ambulance ride, 12 medals, 4 ribbons, 2 trophies, and some cool scars = BIKING ADDICTION!!!!

mtbr member
    To piggyback off the post above...

...when you're the last to complain about the weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5