You know you're a bikecommuter when... - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    when you search out carbon fiber handlebars because they act as less of a heat sink when you're in -30 weather.
    and you don't give a fig what they weigh because the crusted salt/sludge weighs more anyways...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    To piggyback off the post above...

...when you're the last to complain about the weather.
    I love this one. I come into work and everyone is griping about how bad the weather is. Poor things, they had to walk almost half a block out in the weather from the parking garage to the main building!

Then of course they act all amazed that I cycled in through some light rain when they know I ride every day and have to ask how I do it and be amazed again. A little light rain? It was a day that ended in 'y' right?
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    When you see a pothole you reflexively pull up to hop over it...even though you're in a car.

(I saw that mentioned in another thread and realized that I totally do it)
    I was just telling someone last week how you notice a patch in the road has about 5 different layers and clench cheek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    The idea that you might need to take the car to work for your job annoys you.
    Doing that tomorrow because a mega-block table wont fit in the bag. The wife laughed at me when I got annoyed with missing a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    when you search out carbon fiber handlebars because they act as less of a heat sink when you're in -30 weather.
    and you don't give a fig what they weigh because the crusted salt/sludge weighs more anyways...
    Exactly! I've thought that for years, same with SPD pedal shoes. Insulating insoles make a world of difference.

... When you think about everything as will it fit in my panniers or back pack?
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Oh yeah - insulating insoles, they are awesome. My first year, after so many, of commuting where I bought insulating insoles and it has been a great winter for my feet.

Moderator Moderator
    Not bikecommuter specific, but some of these apply...
    You know you're a cyclist when... - Cycling Weekly

And I'm pretty sure that Bedwards and his garage posed for this cartoon
    You know you're a bikecommuter when...-bedwardsgarage.jpg

CB of the East
    I would not pose in pink. We did add to my wife's bike collection for Christmas (new road bike). More of a replacement than an addition. I haven't added or replaced a bike in well over a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    I love this one. I come into work and everyone is griping about how bad the weather is. Poor things, they had to walk almost half a block out in the weather from the parking garage to the main building!

Then of course they act all amazed that I cycled in through some light rain when they know I ride every day and have to ask how I do it and be amazed again. A little light rain? It was a day that ended in 'y' right?
    1/2 a block? The folks in my office walk at MOST 100 FEET and they gripe and moan and whine. I ride 3.5 to 14 miles in 20 degrees, sleet, snow, rain and I love every inch of it.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    You know you're a bikecommuter when...-shoes.jpg
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    When you see someone riding a black bike in black clothes with no lights at night riding the wrong way down the street, and you think, statistically my odds just got better...

mtbr member
    When I'm the only one that made it in to work on a morning when the roads are all iced over (in Texas), because mountain bike.

mtbr member
    You know you're a bikecommuter when...-10885238_623083174484498_1613116720074721562_n.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    You're ok with showing up to the sat AM group ride with a rack on the back of your road bike, because you converted it into your "Fast Commuter". (And later after you drop most everyone on the climbs they start talking to you again...)

mtbr member
    You drink more coffee out of a Hydro Flask than a coffee cup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You think your bike looks good with fenders.

turtles make me hot
    I just read through most of these. I started commuting by bike this past September... Should have started years ago. I have to use a folder because I can't bring a regular bike on the railroad. I'm too far out to ride the whole way.
    When I show up in the morning, the security guards and receptionists always can't believe that I rode in in the cold. It hasn't been that cold yet, people.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    This is so true!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    You're ok with showing up to the sat AM group ride with a rack on the back of your road bike, because you converted it into your "Fast Commuter". (And later after you drop most everyone on the climbs they start talking to you again...)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    When you think building something like this winter rat bike is cool, and justifiable, for the the 5 icy days a year.

You know you're a bikecommuter when...-p4pb10465203.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steveh250 View Post
    When you think building something like this winter rat bike is cool, and justifiable, for the the 5 icy days a year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb10465203.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	951688
    I'm feeling that one. I bought studded snow tires. It almost never snows here, and it sticking around long enough to actually create the conditions that I'd need them is even rarer, but I'm damned if I'm not going to ride in if I can. Of course, third winter in a row now I've had no use for them.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

CB of the East
    You have to meet somebody at home and you check the direction of the wind to let him know what time you will be there.

(This thread needed resurrection.)

mtbr member
    When being as visible as possible is number one, comfort is two, reliable is three, and being as light and fast as possible is way down the list.

mtbr member
    When collegues dont say "hi" or "good morning" but to the other collegues "I told you he would ride his bike in this weather!" when you come into the office.

When your bike is the only one in the rack at work

When you have all bike tools 4 times: in the pannier, at the housedoor, shed and basement

When you try new clothing in a store by putting it on and make movements as you are on the bike: knees up and down, arms stretched forward etc

When you have different chain oil for every season

When you can tell all the rules in the right order from your memory

When you dont want to ride a bike when you are ofr because the bike reminds you of work

(will now read the whole thread, some of it might have been there already)

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    (will now read the whole thread, some of it might have been there already)
    You read the whole thread "You know you're a bikecommuter when..."

mtbr member
    When you read the whole thread while having breakfast, wearing bike clothes and waking up the kids with your laughing (just had that one)

Born With A Tail
    People tell me that they have a bike, or used to ride, or would ride to work too, but...
    I don't proselytize and have no thoughts that I'm saving the planet. I just like doing it.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

Rides all the bikes!
    When you change jobs and move, and are disappointed that the commute is shorter now.

(I make up for it though)

When you hear the guy complain about not having AC in his car on a hot day and roll your eyes (should be 113° today).

Please god, stop asking me if I rode today, in this weather. Yes, I know, you are all wusses, you don't need to advertise.

Rides all the bikes!
    "I can't wait for summer, I'm tired of the rain"

6 months later...

"I can't wait for winter, I'm tired off the heat."

mtbr member
    Just found this thread!

When your work switched buildings seven years prior and you drove for the first time since the switch, and accidentally drove to the old building instead. Then you went inside and wondered to yourself "Weird -am I just really early today?" before you figured it out.
    Is this where I write something witty?

mtbr member
    Some more:

When you leave all your work clothes at work and just figure out a way to do your laundry while there.
    When you have to wear your black Sidis to your own brother's wedding because you forgot to bring home your nice black shoes from work and by the time you figured this out, it was too late. And you are a groomsman.

When you use a cone wrench to eat your lunch, because it is easier than doing the dishes in the breakroom.
    When you have a cone wrench in your office.
    If you even know what a cone wrench is and what it is used for, anymore.

When you find someone's nicely packaged lunch in the ditch, where it obviously fell off the roof of their car and they forgot it, and you pick up said lunch and bring it with you and eat it later (pad Thai and cookies . Then you eat your own lunch too, because, hey, you're not on a diet - you rode to work!

When you've been bitten or clawed or chased by animals on your way to or from work - wild animals that aren't pets.

When you convince the LBS to let you demo an ISM triathlon saddle because you're "thinking about getting into triathlon," but really you just had a vasectomy and are a bit sore.

When you've been docked a vacation day because you didn't show up for work because THE COMMUTE was better!

CB of the East
    ^^Some good ones there.

I'm guilty of making the ride just 5 miles longer even if I'll be a little late. I haven't just not shown up though.

When you spend part of your commute in thinking about how you would explain the need for different bikes to your coworkers. "Well you have different styles of pants. You wouldn't wear the same pants clam digging as you would to church, right? Different bikes have different purposes." (maybe that's just me...I was on the rain bike.)

mtbr member
    When you cant remember the last time you filled up the car

mtbr member
    When you recognize the smell of wd40 walking by a mechanic shop

When you smell like wd40 yourself

When you go into the basement/garage instead of a bar on saturdaynight to wrench on the bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    When you read the whole thread and the kids keep asking what is so funny!

When you buy a Fat bike not because you give a rat's tail end about the sport, but because of the handful of commutes you would miss due to snow.

When you ditch a perfectly good pair of Ortlieb panniers only because they are yellow and everybody has yellow, so you get a different color.

When your wife-to-be tells you that she grew up in a household without a car, and instead of thinking that's weird, you think how cool!

When your mother-in-law who is around 70 still goes everywhere by bike, and you just love that fact.

When your 12 year old car has 22,000 miles on it, and still works perfectly, but you retired a 6 year old bike with 30,000 miles, and it was also working perfectly.

When your wife will let you spend as much as you want on bikes, because she knows it is keeping you healthy.

When you can't tell how many bikes you have without going out to look.

When your kids all learned to ride before their 3rd birthday.

When you could fully equip at least 2 other riders with the stuff you already have, including bikes and still have enough to spare.

When you get tested for Life Insurance, and the rep later calls you and says you qualified for the best rate. He then tells you he never had any one do that before, so he asked around and nobody in the entire company had one either.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaulbiker View Post
    When you read the whole thread and the kids keep asking what is so funny!

When you buy a Fat bike not because you give a rat's tail end about the sport, but because of the handful of commutes you would miss due to snow.

When you ditch a perfectly good pair of Ortlieb panniers only because they are yellow and everybody has yellow, so you get a different color.

When your wife-to-be tells you that she grew up in a household without a car, and instead of thinking that's weird, you think how cool!

When your mother-in-law who is around 70 still goes everywhere by bike, and you just love that fact.

When your 12 year old car has 22,000 miles on it, and still works perfectly, but you retired a 6 year old bike with 30,000 miles, and it was also working perfectly.

When your wife will let you spend as much as you want on bikes, because she knows it is keeping you healthy.

When you can't tell how many bikes you have without going out to look.

When your kids all learned to ride before their 3rd birthday.

When you could fully equip at least 2 other riders with the stuff you already have, including bikes and still have enough to spare.

When you get tested for Life Insurance, and the rep later calls you and says you qualified for the best rate. He then tells you he never had any one do that before, so he asked around and nobody in the entire company had one either.
    Awesome ones there. I put the ones in bold that I totally relate to. At the company Christmas party I got asked how many bikes I own more than a few times and I honestly didn't know the answer off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    When all I want to do is read books and watch videos on bike commuting. Thank god for youtube- it really helps me get through winter. I miss riding. Hurry up spring!

mtbr member
    When it's icy out and you contemplate riding because you don't want to scrape the car.

(For the record, I ended up driving out of concern for my safety and not leaving my two boys fatherless...or something like that...)

CB of the East
    When it's icy out and you ride because riding across a frozen lake and through some icy back roads with studs seems safer than hitting a patch of black ice in your car.
    You know you're a bikecommuter when...-20180212_071354s.jpg
    Same Picture, Different Thread

mtbr member
    When it's icy out and you ride because riding across a frozen lake and through some icy back roads with studs seems safer than hitting a patch of black ice in your car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180212_071354s.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	1182619
    Same Picture, Different Thread
    That's a lot more ice than what we have, for sure. But I don't have studs and have a lot more traffic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

You have over 40 nasty words for 'headwind'.

BrianMc
    and you use a certain word beginning with the letter f in front of 'em all
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    When you consider a different job because the bike commute looks like more fun.
    Plus they have better bike parking and/or showers.
    I'm considering this myself. Less money, but more smiles will make up for it
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

Moderator Moderator
    Love that ice photo, bedwards!

CB of the East
    When you have a basket of crumpled up newspapers in the hallway for stuffing inside wet cycling shoes to dry them out.

CB of the East
    Your tube is more patch than tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You know you're a bikecommuter when...-20180525_125803.jpg  

mtbr member
    Peet boot dryer. Best thing ever!

When you have a basket of crumpled up newspapers in the hallway for stuffing inside wet cycling shoes to dry them out.

mtbr member
    When your boss asks you to define “work” and you tell him it’s the eight hours between bike rides...

When you beat a coworker (who lives in the same neighborhood) across town because you know all the backroads that have no lights...

When you get tired of explaining the cost of your bikes to people...

When you can yell loud enough that it’s a suitable substitute for a car horn...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    When your boss asks you to define “work” and you tell him it’s the eight hours between bike rides...

Give'er!
    Three words: "Immediate Roadside Probation"

...I mean I've been wanting a lifestyle change but can't help but think I could have gone about it better...(moral of the story: don't go get more beer when you run out...I'm 34 and a dumbass and up until last Friday I only had a single speeding ticket on my record... >_< )

Give'er!
    ...You realize that riding in steel toed workboots and jeans is no different than riding in winter hiking boots and snow pants if you only lace them up to the ankle.

...you have a velcro strap on your handlebars to act as a parking brake when you lean your bike up against stuff.

...you constantly tell yourself "There is no bad weather only poor clothing and questionable preparation..."

...you laugh when people complain about the weather.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHB View Post
    Three words: "Immediate Roadside Probation"

...I mean I've been wanting a lifestyle change but can't help but think I could have gone about it better...(moral of the story: don't go get more beer when you run out...I'm 34 and a dumbass and up until last Friday I only had a single speeding ticket on my record... >_< )
    Rough!

I was thinking that this thread needed a revival.

...You ride in a 100 miles charity ride and they ride into work the next day because that is just how you get to work.

mtbr member
    Rough!

I was thinking that this thread needed a revival.

...You ride in a 100 miles charity ride and they ride into work the next day because that is just how you get to work.
    Yup. 5 miles to work makes a good recovery spin...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    You know what sections of your trip to breathe through your nose because this is where the bugs hang out.

You don’t even try to spit out the gnats anymore just swallow because what’s the point they’re gone.

turtles make me hot
    Oh man... Not breathing through your mouth because of bugs is tame compared to this... The second half of my bike commute takes place in Manhattan. I have to not breathe in when I pass W 37th St or I inhale what I'm guessing is a sewage vent. I've got it down to where I exhale as I pass that corner.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Oh man... Not breathing through your mouth because of bugs is tame compared to this... The second half of my bike commute takes place in Manhattan. I have to not breathe in when I pass W 37th St or I inhale what I'm guessing is a sewage vent. I've got it down to where I exhale as I pass that corner.
    I do the same thing by the back side of a factory that uses some high grade solvents or glues. I nearly get high going by that one if I inhale too deeply.

mtbr member
    Every Friday morning is bacon day at a nearby assisted living facility. I ride 6 blocks out of the way, every Friday morning, just so I can smell it!

mtbr member
    When you are track standing for a city bus to make a wide turn when another biker decides not to wait almost hitting the back end of the bus and now you have to pass the bus and the biker. Which you do.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

kk2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    When you forget to bring your pants with you to work and spend all day in the office wearing your spandex shorts and tights. Happened to me twice.

Moderator Moderator
    When your coworker tells her husband, honey you are driving in the bike lane! (in the snow). He of course replies there are no bikes out here today! Then around the next corner is yours truly pedaling away.

mtbr member
    When you order new work clothes on Amazon and just have them delivered to work, because you aren't going to wear them anyplace else. When you make arrangements to do your laundry at work.

turtles make me hot
    Tomorrow is going to rain or snow. I'd actually prefer snow since I HATE riding in the rain. Normally, I just wouldn't ride tomorrow, knowing what's coming but I've been waiting for months for a mechanic friend to replace the driver side motor mount in my truck. I would have done it myself but I have no way to support the engine while the mount is out.
    Well, tomorrow is the day and I really don't want to wait any more so Dahon in the 39 degree rain it is. Can't wait.
    I like turtles

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post
    When you order new work clothes on Amazon and just have them delivered to work, because you aren't going to wear them anyplace else.
    I like it.
    When your brand new Denali Duramax Diesel 1 Ton pickup has just over 3600 miles on it in the first year and your bikes have 4400

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    New to the forums, but I love this one--I definitely resemble many of these!

My contribution: when my wife asks how my day was, I answer "it started with a bike ride, and it ended with a bike ride, how could anything else matter?"

mtbr member
    When you get home after dark, in the rain, and your 6 year old leaves a towel outside on the porch so you can dry off.

mtbr member
    ...you walk downstairs in your commuter kit at 5 in the morning only to realize that you left your bike at the office the night before so you could go on a date with your wife after work.

Time to change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 4