Y'all talking to your bike, right ?- Mtbr.com
    Huckin' trails

Y'all talking to your bike, right ?

Since my first winter commute a few years ago, I've started to salute my bike everyday when the garage door was opening on it the morning, then before I close the door the evening. Like it would make the bike even more of my everyday ride partner, after all, he's the one hauling my ass and taking all the beating, right ? So a quick thanks and salute seems just fine

Don't lie, I'm sure you people also chill up with your bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

weirdo
    "Y`all"? David, I think y`all been hanging out too long with us "southern" mutts! Is there a slang term for US folk that`s reasonable for Canucks to use? For some reason, I don`t think yankee, gringo, or even the ubiquitous "American" really fits the bill.

Yeah, I sometimes talk to my bike, but not a a regular basis. More often, I talk out loud to myself and the bike eve drops.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    When I talk to my bike the words are typically not fit to print.

Moderator Moderator
    No, but now I fear I've been neglecting them.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Most mornings, I say, "Let's roll, baby." And we roll.

I'm more demonstrative than 'talky'; I don't let "lesser bikes" near it. The other day, a co-worker was buying a bike, asked me to give it a once-over. After I did so, I parked it closer to my bike than I let pretty much any other (besides the kids' bikes when we lock 'em all up) -- but then, this girl is HOOO-OOTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Swedetarded
    We had a nice chat as I put on a new 39T middle chainring, chain, and cassette yesterday. I was hung over as **** from having friends over that I haven't seen in quite some time, beef carnitas and taking tequila shots at my kitchen island. The bike knew this and refused to give up a chainring bolt, rusted in like it was welded. We had a good laugh, which made my head hurt even more. I'm going to make a clock out of the old chainring.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    "Y`all"? David, I think y`all been hanging out too long with us "southern" mutts! Is there a slang term for US folk that`s reasonable for Canucks to use? For some reason, I don`t think yankee, gringo, or even the ubiquitous "American" really fits the bill.

Yeah, I sometimes talk to my bike, but not a a regular basis. More often, I talk out loud to myself and the bike eve drops.
    what's wrong with "y'all"? it is a gramatically-correct contraction of "you all". IMO, better than the other regional terms "yinz" or "youins". now, if he had spelled it "ya'll", then rip away, but "y'all" is the correct spelling, even.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    what's wrong with "y'all"?
    Absolutely nothing.
    It just gave me a little giggle, comming from an unexpected source.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sometimes I say "Go, go!" but that's really more to myself.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Sometimes I say "Go, go!" but that's really more to myself.
    Yep. 'Specially when being Ram'd!

More commonly: "Ooops!, "Sorry!", "Ouch!", "I just fixed THAT!" and the like.

BrianMc

Bedwards Of The West
    I pull that line from 'Days of Thunder' (when he talks to the car) sometimes: "This is not the kind of answer I'm looking for from you."

But no, I don't talk to my bike on a regular basis. I have a multiple bikes, and I don't want to have to explain to one why it's not getting ridden as much, or cause any drama over who gets to sleep in the house and who has to stay out in the shop...it's just not a can of worms I want to open. I'd rather have them just think that I don't know how to communicate.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I don't want to have to explain to one why it's not getting ridden as much, or cause any drama over who gets to sleep in the house and who has to stay out in the shop...it's just not a can of worms I want to open.
    That`s the way to keep peace in the household!
    If I stop talking to my bike, my wife wont feel so left out

Tires
    I sleep with my bike under "our" comforter, and I take showers with my bike as well.
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

namagomi
    In addition to talking with my bicycle I also speak to the dishwasher and the toilet...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

When I was in SoCal, a lot of people used "you all" instead of a "y'all" during formal or semi-formal addresses as a plural form of "you". It irked the hell outta me every time they said it to the point where I'd prefer they say "y'all." It seemed like they were trying to make "y'all" formal when saying "you" would suffice.

Whether or not "you all" is commonly used in the South, I have no idea. I've only spent about a month in Lawton, Oklahoma and two or three months in South Florida.

mtbr member
    My mountain bike sleeps pretty close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y'all talking to your bike, right ?-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I did say, "you son of a ....." when it decided to stab me. Not to self: those fender stays usually have caps for a reason. Either cut them down, or don't get stuck behind your bike again.

mtbr member
    I don't talk to my bike, but when it's in my hallway (which is most of the time), I briefly caress it everytime I pass it.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Acutally no I don't talk to my bike or have a name for it etc....

Really it just seems to be part of me....and I sure don't talk to my hand either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Since my first winter commute a few years ago, I've started to salute my bike everyday when the garage door was opening on it the morning, then before I close the door the evening. Like it would make the bike even more of my everyday ride partner, after all, he's the one hauling my ass and taking all the beating, right ? So a quick thanks and salute seems just fine

Don't lie, I'm sure you people also chill up with your bikes
    Sometimes I call down to the engine room to pour on more coal or ring up a different speed!

Yes, I'm a geek I know!

mtbr member

You might be looking for the term "USAian" pronounced "U-S-A-in". I've heard some Euros refer to us that way. I think it started out as derogatory for the U-S-A chants at the Olympics. I don't mind Yankee, but agree that it doesn't seem to fit all Americans or feel very modern. Some other folks on the American continents get testy about USAians claiming "American" as their own too.

crap magnet
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0