Yakima Rack recall- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Yakima Rack recall

This apparently is old news, but I found out today that my Yakima Frontloader was recalled last year (bike could fly off the roof) & they will send a brand new one after I return some critical part that must either disable the old one or prove you actually still have it.

In case anyone else didn't fill out that pesky warranty card and find out about a recall, here are the other recalls listed at Yakima Racks & Carriers Recalls
    FrontLoader
    FlipSide
    Quickback
    2005 Mighty Joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yakima handled it great, total turnaround time was under a week and I had two new frontloaders at my door. They sent prepaid envelope for old parts, no cost involved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Great to hear.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yakima is one of the best companies I've ever worked with. They go above and beyond to take care of customers even helping the ones that the "defect" was the customers fault. Gotta love companies that do things to take care of the people who buy their products.

Moderator Moderator
    That reminds me, my replacement under the recall arrived a couple days ago. I haven't taken it out of the bag or mounted it up yet, but it came quite quickly after I mailed back (in a prepaid package) the 2 parts to disable the old one.

If I can see any difference besides the 5 wheel size settings (on the new one) instead of 4 (on the old one) I will report back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just found out about this recall a couple of weeks ago. I have always used my Frontloaders in the 29" position for my 26" bikes, and have never had an issue with my 700c road bike or 29er alos in the 29" position. Anyway, I'll get to the point...
    I received the return envelope yesterday, but don't want to be totally without a way to carry my bike for two weeks so I was thinking of doing them one at a time. Can anyone tell me what the actual reason for the recall was? I saw another thread where people were planning to continue using in the short term by adding a strap to the front. I've been using these things for a few years without incident so I think I'll be fine, but if anyone one knows the exact issue/reason for recall I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As I posted when I did mine, the turn around time was like <4 days iirc. The reason for the recall was that skinny wheels were popping out. I'm not certain on the sizes, but the 24" spot is tighter on the new one, as well as it has a new 700c spot now. (5 positions now).

Moderator Moderator
    If you paid for the lock cores on the old one, don't forget to remove them before recycling the old unit.

mtbr member
    Yakima has the best customer service I've ever used. I had an old version of the Raptor. Two of them in fact. One broke. Contacted Yakima...they replaced BOTH. Told me to choose any carrier I wanted so I got two new front loaders. They didn't even want the old ones back. So now I have three usable carriers and the forth can be fixed.

Anyways, I better look into this recall to see if I'm affected. I got my front loaders last year.

***It seems my carriers are good to go however I see that there's a recall on the Q-Clip/Towers for Ford Focus 2012's and up. I guess I dodged that bullet as I ran all last summer with bikes on top of my 2013 Focus.

Members who have read this thread: 0