Wrinkled clothes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Wrinkled clothes

So I want to start commuting to work. I'm in a office environment. Any recommendations for packing a dress shirt n pants in a backpack without wrinkles?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Any way you can make a trip on Sunday or sometime during the weekend to drop off a weekly supply of clothes? That is ideal. If you can't, try tightly rolling them up and depending on what you are carrying them in, they should make it alright. I tight roll my scrubs up in my messenger bag so that when I get to work and put them on, you can't tell that they were rolled up. Might take some trial and error as to what order to put them in.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

since 4/10/2009

EAT MORE GRIME
    get more expensive stuff.

fine wool pants and silk shirts are extremely hard to wrinkle. they will come out of your backpack fabulous

or

use manila packing paper sheets and cover your stuff with it
    and then fold over in these sheets might work

option three

get a little desktop rack and little desktop steam shooter and iron you crud at work

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RockhopperRickyD View Post
    So I want to start commuting to work. I'm in a office environment. Any recommendations for packing a dress shirt n pants in a backpack without wrinkles?
    I need my car for my work so I do the reverse commute. I keep a bike at work, always. I drive to work monday am and drive home friday pm. Clean bike/work clothes on monday, dirty stuff on friday. Other options. Get a good selection of work clothes, shoes, ties, jackets etc. Leave them at work. Do you use a dry cleaner? If so have them pick up/drop off at your office. Light weight wool pants can be worn more than once. Lots of options available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Eagle Creek Pack It Folders work pretty well to prevent wrinkles. I used mine for two weeks in Europe travelling with only a carry-on sized backpack. It can hold multiple days worth of clothes so you don't need to bring the backpack every day.

I've never found the folder necessary for commuting, but my commute is short and my office is casual so I can wear clothes that don't wrinkle easily.

mtbr member
    Find some tutorials on how to properly fold shirts for packing. I don't normally need to worry about it for my job, but I've found that if you fold a shirt meticulously and then roll it before putting it into the pack/bag or pannier, etc an unroll and a couple of quick snaps at work and you're done. Also, it's gonna wrinkle as soon as you start lounging in that office chair. Another option is a small travel iron, which also comes in handy if you have a lunch incident.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Third, for rolling up clothes. They can't wrinkle if they're not allowed to move. I transported scrubs as such for about a year, and have traveled sans garment bag for anything but formal (tux shirt/suit jackets) since.

Start with a good, even fold, then roll tightly from the bottom up.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I need my car for my work so I do the reverse commute. I keep a bike at work, always. I drive to work monday am and drive home friday pm. Clean bike/work clothes on monday, dirty stuff on friday. Other options. Get a good selection of work clothes, shoes, ties, jackets etc. Leave them at work. Do you use a dry cleaner? If so have them pick up/drop off at your office. Light weight wool pants can be worn more than once. Lots of options available.
    I do this to^^

There are a lot of wrinkle free dress shirts available. This is just one option from LL Bean. Do a search for lots more. I think Cabala's has some too. Men's Wrinkle-Free Twill Sport Shirt, Traditional Fit Short-Sleeve Windowpane | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I work in one of the new "open office" environments with no assigned seating. So, I have to bring my business casual outfit and shoes and all my other shonky daily. Rolling up the shirt and pants works. Some guys even roll up their suit and do the same thing. I find a well ironed or starched shirt will be more wrinkle resistant for the ride. I need larger panniers now to haul all my crap than I did when I had a private office and could leave clothes hanging on the back of my door to be worn more than once and a bunch of other stuff there...

Depending on the length of your commute the clothes only have to be rolled up for about an hour. Its not long enough to make it look like you slept in your clothes. The freedom from transit and driving and the enjoyment of riding makes it worth it 10 times over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks all. I will roll up my clothes and put in my pack. I also bought some wrinkle free clothes. Thanks all for the tips, want to do this about 3 days a week🚵🏻

mtbr member
    May 2006
    set up to leave the dress clothes at work...buy them near work...dry clean and deliver is available....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have been rolling clothes, works great. Riding 2-3 days a week

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Third, for rolling up clothes. They can't wrinkle if they're not allowed to move. I transported scrubs as such for about a year, and have traveled sans garment bag for anything but formal (tux shirt/suit jackets) since.

Start with a good, even fold, then roll tightly from the bottom up.
    Another vote for rolling... when I finally figured out how to properly do it with a well spaced, not crammed full pannier I was able to get things to work with no issue... I work in an office environment as well so dress slacks, shirt and tie for me most days. I normally pack a couple pairs of pants, socks, ties and shirts on Tuesday (work 4x10s so Monday off) and leave all but the chonies and shirts at work until Friday when I pack everything home. I normally alternate two pairs of pants during the week. Wear riding close too and from work.