Worth commuting another day?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Worth commuting another day?

So my bike rode fine to work this morning. After work though, I saw my back tire completely deflated. Well, I brought it home and took off the tire and found the hole on the inside. A piece of the rim strip was sticking out (old) and put a gash in the tube. I cut the sharp part off, and put some cushion over what was left (nothing sharp, just being cautious). I then patched the tube (about a 4mm long hole) and put it back on the bike. It seems to be holding air. Is it worth riding the 3.5 miles to work, maybe carrying a patch kit and inflater, or should I just drive and not chance it, and get new tubes and rim strips tomorrow?

Which way? Uphill.
    Sounds like your set for the ride tomorrow.

Always carry a tube and inflation when commuting.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Ride.

You have just experienced life with a bicycle. It is a flat tire, not a brain tumor.

JEEZ!!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

local trails rider
    Flat tires happen. Usually they don't happen all the time.

Right now, I am not carrying pump, tube or patches. If I have a flat, I'll walk the bike home: takes about an hour.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Anywhere I go, my bike has a spare tube, tire gauge, multi-tool and mini-pump on it. Fortunately, I don't get flats much, but I'm always ready if I do.

mtbr member
    Once you are prepared for something, like a roadside flat or broken chain, it tends to happen less often.
    "Rejoice...Rejoice...We have no choice...But, to carry on" - Crosby Stills & Nash

mtbr member
    ride, worst that can happen: you flat at the exact midpoint and have to walk 1.75 miles. A half hour walk will not kill you.

I rarely get on a bike without stuff to fix a flat, and always keep at least 2-3 spare tubes in the house. prevents these sort of issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0