Workpacking Is In, Commuting Is Out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Workpacking Is In, Commuting Is Out

I haven't commuted by bike much since I retired, but on the occasions that I ride to my PT LBS job, I will be workpacking, not commuting. I saw this super trendy term over on Singletrack Magazine's forum and loved it. Look how trendy bike packing is.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    By your profile pic you must be very lucky to be able to be retired already

So I guess we should open a new thread on how was your workpacking today? I didnt workpack since I worked from home today etc

But you are right giving something a trendy name can make a big difference. I think especially commuters might not consider this as I guess most of them are pragmatic people that dont think about it much and just ride. As I say myself it is not a race its just the way from/to work.

Maybe we can make a collection of ideas? I will start with
    Work out before work
    Wake up before work
    Better than coffee before work

Anyone?

psycho cyclo addict
    Oh no... say it ain't so.

We don't need no stinkin custom terms for bike commuting which is the same darn thing no matter what sort of pedal-outfitted steed you choose.

I've been pedaling to work with an Arkel Seatpacker 15 on the back of my gravel/CX bike for months. Fits my work laptop, clothes, lunch, shower items, etc. quite well.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post

We don't need no stinkin custom terms for bike commuting which is the same darn thing no matter what sort of pedal-outfitted steed you choose.

I've been pedaling to work with an Arkel Seatpacker 15 on the back of my gravel/CX bike for months. Fits my work laptop, clothes, lunch, shower items, etc. quite well.

You are the stereotypical workpacker.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. However Bike Commuting is so self explanatory.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I haven't commuted by bike much since I retired, but on the occasions that I ride to my PT LBS job, I will be workpacking, not commuting. I saw this super trendy term over on Singletrack Magazine's forum and loved it. Look how trendy bike packing is.
    Love it.

Nice ride in, nice to be able to go studless today, took the Orbea Terra. Snow starts later but should be fine for the ride home. Check out my new stylin' stemcap for our upcoming adventure to Puerto Rico. About a dozen people are going.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Workpacking Is In, Commuting Is Out-pr-stemcap.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    .......I think especially commuters might not consider this as I guess most of them are pragmatic people that dont think about it much and just ride. As I say myself it is not a race its just the way from/to work ....

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. However Bike Commuting is so self explanatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Love it.

Nice ride in, nice to be able to go studless today, took the Orbea Terra. Snow starts later but should be fine for the ride home. Check out my new stylin' stemcap for our upcoming adventure to Puerto Rico. About a dozen people are going.
    Happy new year every1!

see I told you so

Mtbx nice stem cap and I read between the lines that you have an adventure coming up? Whats planned?

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    You are the stereotypical workpacker.
    I am a grouchy MTB single speed (and less often geared) curmudgeon who now has a 35+ mile round trip bike commute to work.

Bought a gravel bike to click off the miles a bit faster (except on the days where I can hit some trails on the way in or home from work) and slapped a bag I had lying around on the back of my saddle.

The goal was to avoid panniers or carrying crap on my back (really sucks in warm weather). I'm commuting to work plain and simple... don't give a rats arse what the heck people call it.

Get offa my lawn! LOL

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Happy new year every1!

see I told you so

Mtbx nice stem cap and I read between the lines that you have an adventure coming up? Whats planned?
    Happy New Year to you as well. Pedaling into the office definitely wakes me up (I have coffee before leaving the house!). Nothing better than suiting up and pedaling home after a long day of semi-intense work or an occasional meeting overload day.

There are a lot of riding options in the Washington, DC metropolitan area so I am somewhat spoiled by the variety of commute routes and trails at my disposal. I enjoy all-day or overnight bike rides/camping so hope to do more of that sort of thing in 2019.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Maybe I am just old; it a rose by any other name.....
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My commute is mostly off road. Not sure what to call it but after work (i work 3rd) I pack up and hit the trail before most are awake yet. Sometimes ill grab a cold one or two and watch the sunrise on my local trail. Nice way to unwind after work.

NDD
    mtbr member
    This term is somewhat confusing if you think about how backpacking lends itself linguistically to bikepacking. Am I supposed to be biking to work with a sleeping bag and staying a few days before going home?

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    This term is somewhat confusing if you think about how backpacking lends itself linguistically to bikepacking. Am I supposed to be biking to work with a sleeping bag and staying a few days before going home?

Given the escalating cost of real estate around Boulder, we have only half-jokingly suggested to some new hires that they move into a couple of empty storage closets we have in the office that are about 5x9. We have showers, microwaves, refrigerators, sinks, and fast internet. One conference room even has a TV with cable. What more do you need?

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Given the escalating cost of real estate around Boulder, we have only half-jokingly suggested to some new hires that they move into a couple of empty storage closets we have in the office that are about 5x9. We have showers, microwaves, refrigerators, sinks, and fast internet. One conference room even has a TV with cable. What more do you need?
    Dang that's kinda sad. I know someone there who says his cost of living is outrageous now. Workpacking is a legitimate option there.

dang

jrm
    mtbr member

Baskets/Racks

it started with a origin 8 porteur rack and graduated to a nashbar six pack rack with a wald basket zip tied to it. Yeah, it may look goofy but its practicality cant be ignored...

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    A car free bicycle friendly city (Cyclocroft) might be coming somewhere near Boulder...

https://forbes.com/sites/carltonreid...lder-colorado/
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

A car free bicycle friendly city (Cyclocroft) might be coming somewhere near Boulder...

With one square mile it'll be filled with people that commute by car all over the Denver metro area, hope they have plenty of off site parking.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Moderator Moderator

Looks like a cool place to live. It's interesting to think about how different a neighborhood would be without cars. As kids we spent part of one summer on Fire Island (NY). It had only boardwalks in that area, everyone got off the ferry and had little red wagons to walk their stuff to their place. It was a great place for kids.