Work Commute - Dry Run- Mtbr.com
    BMP
    mtbr member

Work Commute - Dry Run

I have been thinking about riding to work on occasion and did a dry run yesterday. It is 13.8 miles with 8.8 being paved and 5 of it gravel. There is 700í of elevation and I made it in one hour and 4 minutes. Most of the pavement is rural highway with a large gravel shoulder and a small amount is a bike trail. All the gravel is old farm roads. I ride a Ď19 Roscoe 8 on the stock knobbies. Iíll need a light set as I will have to leave around 4:45 in the morning to make it on time. The only thing I am unsure of is busting up a huge sweat before work. We donít have showers at work so Iím on the fence! I always carry a backpack with tools and such so packing a change of clothes might be in order. Iím just so undecided!

Brad
    2019 Trek Roscoe 8
    Renthal 20mm Fatbar Lite
    Renthal 60mm Apex stem
    203/180 Ice Techs
    Race Face Chesters

CB of the East
    So were you sweaty at the end of the trip in for the dry run? Pick a day and give it a shot. I'd stash a set of clothes at work because having a full backpack against you makes you sweat more than one lightly loaded with a tube and some tools. You can get Niterider light sets for a little over $50

BMP
    mtbr member
    Good call on the clothes. I would have to carry jeans, boots and a t shirt every ride. I am actually used to packing for my wife and kids. I've always got a load of extra stuff in there! LOL

Brad
    2019 Trek Roscoe 8
    Renthal 20mm Fatbar Lite
    Renthal 60mm Apex stem
    203/180 Ice Techs
    Race Face Chesters

Raleigh
    I say, do it!

Try it one time and see what you think.

I did a dry run myself over the weekend on the Cutthroat. 14miles, 58min, all roads - not pushing hard, and waiting at lights, etc.. No shoulders on some. Should be an interesting commute during week traffic.

I had actually planned on commuting earlier this past week but the weather didn't cooperate so I'm waiting for my next window.

Anyways, I've got no showers at work either, and as I'm not wanting to bring anything with me on my commute, I plan on stashing clothes (and food) at work the day prior to commuting.
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I live in Florida and it's getting warmer and warmer (and MORE and MORE humidity). I've been using "Dude Wipes" for...as THEY say...the "Dude Parts" and I have a can of Gold Bond body powder. I also carry a "Pack Towel". I ordered all of it off Amazon.com and had it delivered to my work address.

I can keep all the items in a small bag in my desk drawer.

All kidding (and jokes) aside, the "Dude Wipes" Shower work really, really well.

jrm
    mtbr member
    looking at a pic of your bike it looks like it has rear rack mounts on the seat stays and above the dropouts. For about $100 you could set up a rack with some panniers which could increase what you could carry and really improve the comfort factor.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BMP View Post
    Good call on the clothes. I would have to carry jeans, boots and a t shirt every ride. I am actually used to packing for my wife and kids. I've always got a load of extra stuff in there! LOL

Brad
    I used to use a backpack for commuting but the thing that killed me was shoes. I finally just bought shoes for work and leave them there and it made it so much better. Nothing like taking pounds out of your bike.

As an alternate there are numerous seatbags that are large enough to handle a commute. (https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...eat-bag?sg=500). I always put my clothes in a dry sack in my backpack after having a spill from a lunch tupperware. Way better than having clothes that smell like lunch all day.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

BMP
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    ......but the thing that killed me was shoes......
    In my case they are heavy too. Steel toe boots.

We have a refrigerator so I take a couple weeks worth of food in. I actually like wearing a backpack (we hike some too) unless it is stuffed full and is bulging into my back.

Brad
    2019 Trek Roscoe 8
    Renthal 20mm Fatbar Lite
    Renthal 60mm Apex stem
    203/180 Ice Techs
    Race Face Chesters

BMP
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    I say, do it!

Try it one time and see what you think.
    I am going to get a front rear light this weekend and pick a good day next week. I'll have to head out at 4:45 am to get there in time. There was only a couple houses on my way that had barking/chasing dogs. Don't need chewed on before work! LOL

Brad
    2019 Trek Roscoe 8
    Renthal 20mm Fatbar Lite
    Renthal 60mm Apex stem
    203/180 Ice Techs
    Race Face Chesters

BMP
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post
    I live in Florida and it's getting warmer and warmer (and MORE and MORE humidity). I've been using "Dude Wipes" for...as THEY say...the "Dude Parts" and I have a can of Gold Bond body powder. I also carry a "Pack Towel". I ordered all of it off Amazon.com and had it delivered to my work address.

I can keep all the items in a small bag in my desk drawer.

All kidding (and jokes) aside, the "Dude Wipes" Shower work really, really well.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I will most definitely "Dude Wipe" shower when I get over there!

Brad
    2019 Trek Roscoe 8
    Renthal 20mm Fatbar Lite
    Renthal 60mm Apex stem
    203/180 Ice Techs
    Race Face Chesters

BMP
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    looking at a pic of your bike it looks like it has rear rack mounts on the seat stays and above the dropouts. For about $100 you could set up a rack with some panniers which could increase what you could carry and really improve the comfort factor.
    Good eye. Yes it does have a rack mount. Hadn't thought about running one. It would keep the crud from slinging on my back as well. I really don't mind riding in less than optimum conditions. I've just have to talk myself into doing it before work! LOL

Brad
    2019 Trek Roscoe 8
    Renthal 20mm Fatbar Lite
    Renthal 60mm Apex stem
    203/180 Ice Techs
    Race Face Chesters

Pro Crastinator
    as others have mentioned, on drive days, i bring several sets of work clothes to leave in my office so i don't have to worry about having a full backpack everyday.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    The hardest part is the first 3-4 times you do it. I don't mean physically if you're already used to riding, but figuring out the logistics of clothes, food, cleaning up, etc. I do 27 miles each way in a drive in on Monday, ride home, ride in Tuesday, drive home, drive in Wednesday, ride home, ride in Thursday, drive the rest of the week schedule. Have a shower at work though and plenty of storage for work/riding clothes so I'm fortunate.

You'll get it figured out. I lay everything out for the week on Sunday. Jerseys get spread out, bibs placed inside them, socks, sweat band and base layer in jersey pockets. Then, it gets folded as a neat package to either leave on the dresser or take to work as needed. Definitely leave your bike ready to roll the night before.

Undershirts get folded with boxers and socks inside them so I have "packages". Shirts/ties/slacks (yeah, one of those offices) I take in every couple of weeks. Leave a couple of pairs of shoes at work.