• 08-31-2010
    wvmtb
    Wonder why people in cars hate us?
    Here is an example:
    I was on my commute to work this morning and I roll up to an intersection with a stop light. Light was red the traffic coming from the right was also red and is 2 lanes. There is a guy on a bike between the 2 cars at the light. His light turns green, he makes a u-turn in front of the car to his left to head back in the direction he was coming from. I’ve seen this guy numerous times doing stupid things like this (without a helmet might I add) and it makes it easy to tell why people in cars get frustrated while we are on “their” roads. If we use common sense and follow the traffic laws then maybe it wouldn’t be so bad.
  • 08-31-2010
    AlmostQuick
    Hate is a pretty strong word. I don’t think most motorists hate me.

I understand what you’re saying though. Some will hold the actions of a few against the entire group, which just doesn’t make sense. Just because one (or even lots) of cyclists pull dangerous or scofflaw stunts doesn’t mean I do. So how could an intelligent person justifiably hold it against me?
  • 08-31-2010
    ibexbiker
    I think that all you can do is set the "example" and hope you don't run into a motorist with a chip on their shoulder. I always make sure I follow all of the same road rules as the motorists that I share it with. I signal way ahead of time and would never do anything to put myself or another person in harms way.

I have seen cyclists who have the mentality of "the road is mine too and screw the cars" They take up waaaaaay to much of the road when they could very easily and safely move over to make it easier and safer for cars to pass. Or they will cut motorists off to make a turn rather than slow down, merge safely or keep going and turn around when it is safe.

All we can do is lead by exampe and hope there are enough of us to counter act all of the crazies who fail to follow traffic laws. I think the majority of people can easily see when you are riding within the law and safely and will acommodate us without attitude.
  • 08-31-2010
    rodar y rodar
    I think Ibex nailed my point of view.
    I`ve had words with a few dum4$$ riders, but I don`t have the nerve to do it as often as I`ve been tempted to. Then again, I`ve also pulled some pretty dumb moves myself, and when it occurs to me (usually within seconds of my bright idea), all I can do is count myself lucky, remember not to pull that one again, and pray that I haven`t reinforced the bad opinions of anybody who might have seen me.
  • 08-31-2010
    fastale
    damn, I'm so tired of seeing cyclists pass cars on the right at stop lights/signs. I saw a 45+ year old woman get irately pissed at another 45+ woman. I just told the rider after she looked at me with the expression of "what did I do wrong?", "you shouldn't pass at stop signs, stay in the back and hold your lane". She gave me the "I thought we were on the same side" look and kept going. Sad thing is, I don't know if we are anymore.
  • 08-31-2010
    jeffscott
    There are exceptions to every rule...

We have bike lanes marked with arrows no lines though.

They indicate the right lane is for cyclists. But cars do use it, especially to get the hole shot on a green light if someone is turning left....

So who is in has the priority the car or the bike....well mostly the bike at least here.

Another might be when the line is long enough that the cars will have accelerated to a speed faster than you, and then right hook you. In that case it can be better to proceed to the front of the line...especially when most of the traffic is turning right, or indeed has a right turn lane, yet the other traffic is moving fast ie greater than 50 km/h speed limits.

Basically it is a balance of getting the hell out of the way as best you can, and not pissing people off.

Versus grabbing a lane and holding it like a vehicle.

Cops around here at least downtown tend to ride in herd two or three, and grab a complete lane, no matter what. They however avoid rush hour and busy streets.
  • 08-31-2010
    nachomc
    I liked what I saw last night (which I knew was happening but it was amazing to watch it).

There's a local Monday night ride. A lot of people show up to it - 100 or so. On the route they ride, they have zero regard for traffic, riding in a pack that takes up an entire lane on a two lane road with a 45 mph speed limit (and they're doing 20-25 avg), running all stop signs, etc. Bunch of *******s.
  • 08-31-2010
    byknuts
    not speaking for anyone else, but through rush hour traffic, me and the wife are faster than them.
    people who are in a rush who see other people moving faster than them tend to get titchy. (even if they were to catch up to you at EVERY light, the moment you pass them they'll get upset)
  • 09-01-2010
    fastale
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffscott
    There are exceptions to every rule...

We have bike lanes marked with arrows no lines though.

They indicate the right lane is for cyclists. But cars do use it, especially to get the hole shot on a green light if someone is turning left....

So who is in has the priority the car or the bike....well mostly the bike at least here.

Another might be when the line is long enough that the cars will have accelerated to a speed faster than you, and then right hook you. In that case it can be better to proceed to the front of the line...especially when most of the traffic is turning right, or indeed has a right turn lane, yet the other traffic is moving fast ie greater than 50 km/h speed limits.

Basically it is a balance of getting the hell out of the way as best you can, and not pissing people off.

Versus grabbing a lane and holding it like a vehicle.

Cops around here at least downtown tend to ride in herd two or three, and grab a complete lane, no matter what. They however avoid rush hour and busy streets.

True, there are exceptions to every rule and I am sure in some cases riding to the front of the line is safer. I don't trust people to check their right mirror when turning right nor do I trust them to use their turn signal and this particular intersection was crossing a one way with traffic coming from the left. I just cannot believe that people don't use any common sense when riding and one of these drivers with a chip will probably take me out due to no fault of my own. I guess all we can do is continue to ride safe and hope that we can recruit enough riders so our presence is known. Be safe y'all.
  • 09-01-2010
    space
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fastale
    damn, I'm so tired of seeing cyclists pass cars on the right at stop lights/signs. I saw a 45+ year old woman get irately pissed at another 45+ woman. I just told the rider after she looked at me with the expression of "what did I do wrong?", "you shouldn't pass at stop signs, stay in the back and hold your lane". She gave me the "I thought we were on the same side" look and kept going. Sad thing is, I don't know if we are anymore.

Here are some questions to ask yourself. Is it legal where you live for a bicycle to pass on the right? Here it is. Is it safe for a bicycle to pass on the right? It depends on the situation, but frequently it is. Does passing on the right in any way impede the motorist you are passing? Almost never.

Given that I cannot for the life of me figure out why a motorist would be upset at a cyclist when passing on the right, in fact they should be thankful since it means they will get through the intersection faster then if the cyclist took the lane.

I have two personal rules about passing on the right. First don't do it if traffic is moving, unless you have a bike lane, if you are able to go faster then traffic then take a spot in the lane. The second rule is don't do it if the lane is too narrow, if I have less then one foot to spare I sit behind the car blocking the right shoulder.
  • 09-03-2010
    Dwight Moody
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fastale
    damn, I'm so tired of seeing cyclists pass cars on the right at stop lights/signs.

Why shouldn't I? It's completely legal where I live (Seattle) and doesn't inconvenience anyone. If drivers are pissed at me for passing them, that's their problem. They can pass me when the light is green.
  • 09-03-2010
    BrianMc
    When I lived in Champaign Illlinois, I got to see a dangerous use of a bike passing slower traffic on the right. There was just enough room between the dually pickup I was passenger in and the parked cars for a bike (3-4 feet total) and our line had dropped to about 15 mph. I rode all over the place there and I thought he was nuts. We had caught and passed him about a block earlier, but now he was making things very crouded. That is until he was doored. I saw it cominbg before he did. No place for him to go and no time for him to stop. He didn't even steer into the offender's leg like he should have to make a firm impression on why you need to look before flinging your door open. We did not stop.

Some things are errors, some things are dumb, and others are well...Darwinian.