Witnessed motorcycle accident on my commute...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Witnessed motorcycle accident on my commute...

Just thought I'd share a quick one that happened on my commute last week. I witnessed a motorcycle accident in an intersection I was about to cross. I was standing at the street-light pole, and happen to be looking right out into the intersection when this guy on a bullet bike came through the intersection (gree light, he had the right of way), and a woman came through from the opposite direction, and turned left. She obviously didn't see him, and ran right into him. He was knocked off his bike, and ended up about 15 feet from the bike, and then she proceeded to run over both his legs! The way I word it, it sounds intentional, I assure you, it wasn't. But anyway, I immediately hopped off my bike, and was the first one to the guy, and yelled to someone to call 911. I had my cell phone in my backpack, but it was turned off at the time, and would have taken forever to turn on. Anyway, since then, I haven't been able to get a hold of the guy, but it looked like he might have broken a leg or two, and had a bit of road rash. He was wearing a helmet and leathers, except for his pants, which is where he could have used the leathers the most.

Anyway, not a very interesting story, but one that I won't soon forget. It was pretty scary to see him thrashed down like that. I've only been commuting to work since last fall, and I'm loving it. This one will go down in my "commuting" stories book!
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Another cager not paying attention ...awesome.
    Last edited by Dan0930; 05-06-2008 at 02:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan0930
    Another cager not paying attention awesome.
    For sure.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

mtbr member
    It's funny, but they can be looking right at you and "not see you".

They also have this habbit of tailgating you and expect you to be able to make a 90 degree turn as quickly as they can (2 wheels vs 4).

I bet you the lady was on the phone...

Hope the guy's alright.

tk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971

They also have this habbit of tailgating you and expect you to be able to make a 90 degree turn as quickly as they can (2 wheels vs 4).

Hope the guy's alright.

tk
    Yeah, no kidding. She probably was on the phone. I think she just got cited with an improper left turn. And I think the guy is probably (relatively) ok. A couple broken legs is better than a lot of things I could think of. I've been trying to figure out his last name so I can contact him and see how he's doing.

mtbr member
    That sucks that she ran over his legs. Broken legs are no fun
    :wq

Ovaries on the Outside
    Stories like that make me happy to live in Oregon. I think there is a strong bike culture here and I think car drivers are still pretty wary, though still pretty retarded. I've had one or two close calls with thousands of bicycle/motorcycle commuter miles.

Apr 2004
    That happened to me, didn't run over my legs but one got crushed between the car's bumper and the bike. Not fun, but healed up eventually. hats off to you for coming to his aid, I'll never forget the guy who helped me out until the ambulance showed up.

mtbr member
    Ouch, I would cry like a baby.

mtbr member

Hope the guy's alright.

tk
    Im alot more agile on 2 wheels than 4, but I understand what you are saying...

I dont commute, but riding a (motor)bike will really open your eyes when your in your cage...
    People really can look right at you, and not see you or just flat out ignore you.

mtbr member

tk

It's more than possible.. It's happened to me once for sure. I was in the left turn lane to get on the fwy on ramp, and I was looking right ahead, and for some stupid reason I didn't see this guy in a ford ranger pickup, green nonetheless, and I turned right out in front of him. Only when I heard his screeching tires did I see him. He clipped me in the quarter panel of my toyota pu, missing the rear wheel. My truck was complete functional, with the exception of the tailgate and tail light, but his was waiting for a tow truck. He was cool about it, sh*t happens, neither of us were hurt (of course, not counting the day later back stiffness), and we were both insured...

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Assume the worst

It's very common for a motorist to appear to be "looking right at you" and then act as if they didn't see you. They may be looking for "oncoming cars" and since you aren't a "car" you don't register as relevant.They may just see the gap in traffic behind you (that's what they're looking for). Also a person needs to look at you for a certain period of time to judge your speed. They may make a 10mph assumption, and pull out in front of you if you're going 25-30mph, thinking you're far enough away.Also they may actually SEE you but become distracted by something else (hot coffee in lap) and forget about you. Even if someone is looking "right at you" it's not the same as "seeing you". Assume the worst.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't get sucked in

It's easy to become absorbed in "making eye contact" with a driver coming out of a side street, and overlook someone making a left turn into you. Don't get "sucked in" by eye contact or hand signs etc. The person turning left off the main street will be going faster, maybe even accellerating, and is a bigger threat.

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by paqman
    Just thought I'd share a quick one that happened on my commute last week. I witnessed a motorcycle accident in an intersection I was about to cross. I was standing at the street-light pole, and happen to be looking right out into the intersection when this guy on a bullet bike came through the intersection (gree light, he had the right of way), and a woman came through from the opposite direction, and turned left. She obviously didn't see him, and ran right into him. He was knocked off his bike, and ended up about 15 feet from the bike, and then she proceeded to run over both his legs! The way I word it, it sounds intentional, I assure you, it wasn't. But anyway, I immediately hopped off my bike, and was the first one to the guy, and yelled to someone to call 911. I had my cell phone in my backpack, but it was turned off at the time, and would have taken forever to turn on. Anyway, since then, I haven't been able to get a hold of the guy, but it looked like he might have broken a leg or two, and had a bit of road rash. He was wearing a helmet and leathers, except for his pants, which is where he could have used the leathers the most.

Anyway, not a very interesting story, but one that I won't soon forget. It was pretty scary to see him thrashed down like that. I've only been commuting to work since last fall, and I'm loving it. This one will go down in my "commuting" stories book!
    You really ought to try to track the dude down. Call around difference hospitals, etc. What happened to the person that ran him down?

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by William P
    It's easy to become absorbed in "making eye contact" with a driver coming out of a side street, and overlook someone making a left turn into you. Don't get "sucked in" by eye contact or hand signs etc. The person turning left off the main street will be going faster, maybe even accellerating, and is a bigger threat.
    This is part of the reason I run my off-road lights (granted at a lower setting) when I ride down a couple of our more popular streets in the evening. Better chance of being seen.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    That is the most common accident for motorcycles. Either the car turning left or the motorcycle but the car doesn't yield to the bike. I was always nervous when I rode a motor bike when a car had the chance to take me out with a left turn.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Dec 2006
    Indeed did the lady stop after her idiocracy? I always think people that drive in this manner should lose their license permanently Driving is a privilege not a right and if the person driving a lethal weapon can not handle it properly they have no purpose being on the road! at over 4 dollars a gallon in some places there really is no reason to drive a carnosaur when most cities have public transit.

Apr 2004
    Ouch, I would cry like a baby.
    Didn't really hurt when it happened. I was laying in the road and thinking that I was feeling pretty good all things considered, then I looked at my leg and realized I wasn't going to walk away from this one. After the shock wore off in 10 minutes or so, it hurt like a mother.

Driver said she didn't see me, and I was wearing an insane-bright neon green ski jacket-(hey, it was the 80s!)

mtbr member
    Wow, must be nice to never have an accident.

for the record I drive/ride a car, a motorcycle and a few bikes and I think its tuff to see motorcycles and bikes and even harder to judge there speed.

Man, I dont know what you do but I look out for them I just dont feel comfortable hopping they see me.

Quote Originally Posted by elgeneralsv
    Indeed did the lady stop after her idiocracy? I always think people that drive in this manner should lose their license permanently Driving is a privilege not a right and if the person driving a lethal weapon can not handle it properly they have no purpose being on the road! at over 4 dollars a gallon in some places there really is no reason to drive a carnosaur when most cities have public transit.

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    Didn't really hurt when it happened. I was laying in the road and thinking that I was feeling pretty good all things considered, then I looked at my leg and realized I wasn't going to walk away from this one. After the shock wore off in 10 minutes or so, it hurt like a mother.

Driver said she didn't see me, and I was wearing an insane-bright neon green ski jacket-(hey, it was the 80s!)
    At least you're alive to talk about it, man. Yeah, once the adrenaline and shock subside, that's when you really start to feel it. Hopefully you'll be back up on your feet and riding again soon enough. So is there a lawsuit in order?

mtbr member
    Mu uncle was killed in an accident like this. It kills me to hear about these stupid things happening. He was safe and experienced, wore all the right equipment, layed the bike down when he saw what was happening, but a biker is always going to lose.

Jun 2006
    Thats the truth boomn, and led to me giving up motorcycles in Florida. One day riding down a small side street a woman on her cell phone pulled out mere feet in front of me, The funny thing is a motorist going in the opposite direction was freaking out pointing at me sliding hopelessly at her van. Luckily she jammed her brakes on as she was about 3/4 of the way into my lane and I was able to barely slip around the front of her car. Talk about an adrenaline rush, and not the good kind.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu Falcon
    At least you're alive to talk about it, man. Yeah, once the adrenaline and shock subside, that's when you really start to feel it. Hopefully you'll be back up on your feet and riding again soon enough. So is there a lawsuit in order?
    Happened almost 20 years ago, and yeah I got some money out of it. After I paid the medical bills I think my lawyer ended up with more than I did.

mtbr member
    Yeah, no kidding. She probably was on the phone. I think she just got cited with an improper left turn. And I think the guy is probably (relatively) ok. A couple broken legs is better than a lot of things I could think of. I've been trying to figure out his last name so I can contact him and see how he's doing.
    The thing is that this is a pretty serious impact. There is a really high potential for internal injuries depending on how fast he was going and how he hit the vehicle. Even if he was OK when you are talking to him the body is pretty good at compensating initially, or even for a few hours, from major injuries. With something like a lacerated spleen he could potentially seem fine for a while but then rapidly decline before any intervention could be made.... also, with broken femurs there is a potential to lose 1,000 - 1,500 mL for each femur fracture due to inflammation and internal bleeding. That is a lot of blood considering average adult male has 5-6 liters.

Hopefully he is ok. I am just pointing out that people can seem fine even though they have major life threatening injuries. The most important thing in these scenarios is fast transportation to the appropriate hospital and rapid surgical intervention.... which it sounds like he got.

P.S. Welcome to my day at the office.

Members who have read this thread: 0