Wipe out- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wipe out

mtbr member

Wipe out

So I wiped out rounding a steep curve on a paved bicycle trail - wet slime from overhead trees made the path slick right there and the front wheel went out from under me. Just about did a face plant but broke my fall with my arms. The ER doc used the words "shattered", "multiple", and "surgery" referring to my broken right wrist. Other than that, some bruised ribs and road rash, but the bottom line doesn't look too good for a quick return.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bummer, dude.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be as bad, and you make a full recovery.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by harpdog
    The ER doc used the words "shattered", "multiple", and "surgery" referring to my broken right wrist. Other than that, some bruised ribs and road rash, but the bottom line doesn't look too good for a quick return.
    AY! No, it doesn`t sound very good at all. Very sorry to hear that, Harpdog- when will you know more?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    One of the hardest things to do is to learn how to crash. Sadly it takes experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So I wiped out rounding a steep curve on a paved bicycle trail - wet slime from overhead trees made the path slick right there and the front wheel went out from under me. Just about did a face plant but broke my fall with my arms. The ER doc used the words "shattered", "multiple", and "surgery" referring to my broken right wrist. Other than that, some bruised ribs and road rash, but the bottom line doesn't look too good for a quick return.
    Sounds like the exact same circumstances that caused my accident last year. It was my rear tire instead of the front that came out from under me though. I guess I was lucky because I didn't have any broken bones, but I did have to get stitches in my chin to close a huge gash and I had to have extensive dental surgery to fix my grill. When it was all said and done, I ended up with 3 crowns to replace the teeth I damaged. I'm back on the bike now (never really stopped riding), but I'm still a little spooked by the accident. I now ride with a mouthguard every time I ride and I still take turns like a little old lady. I hope you make a quick recovery and get back in the saddle soon.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That would have made a mess of your face ... luckily you will still have your good looks and a nice cast to get sympathy from the cute nurses/checkout girls & babes in general
    Hope you make a good recovery

No-Brakes Cougar
    Sorry to hear that harpdog, hope you get better soon! Sometimes we take things for granted, like slick leaves or ice in the shadow of a tree (or we just can't see them) until they remind us that they're there. Think happy cycling thoughts until you can get back on the bike!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    This reminds of a wipe-out I almost had a few months back. After reading about how to straighten a rotor by riding the brakes on a descent and then doing a "panic stop," I took my bike out for a ride and on the way back there is a slight downhill that ends at an intersection where I could try out this method. I warmed up my rotor by riding the front brake as I was riding downhill, and at the bottom I hit the front brakes and I guess I hit some loose gravel and next thing I knew I was wobbling. Weird, but seemed like everything was in slo-mo. I don't know what happened or how I did it, but I was able to regain control and prevent a crash. I think the front tire slipped and I was wobbling hard and fast. I braced myself for a crash and huge embarrassment, as there were cars on the street with people who probably looked on in horror. I caught myself and didn't fall. Don't know exactly how.

mtbr member
    Tell you what, there was no time for tactics - just zip BAM. Going in to get fixed up today. Plates and screws at a minimum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yep. Front tire washouts leave no time for any planning. That and a chain jumping off the front sprocket both happen at light speed.

mtbr member

slippery when wet

Hope your recovery is quick and painless!

My front wheel gave way a few weeks ago on my way home from work.

It was raining and I was biking down a steep hill while applying gentle pressure to both brakes. I fell as I was turning the handlebar to the left on a wooden bridge at the bottom of the hill (Pic of location attached)

Thankfully, I wasn't going that fast so I have only bruises and scrapes.

I now understand why bridges have those "slippery when wet" signs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    2 weeks after surgery- plate and screws on thumb side of wrist, little finger side also broken but no hardware. Been riding a stationary bike-gets the workout in but scenery is boring. Cast for another 3 or 4 weeks, then rehab. I want to ride

mtbr member
    Doing a little better.
    Cast might come off this week.

Bike had no major damage - broken bottle cage, twisted handlebar stem,
    and an adjustment to front axle.

Glad to have some things I can do again!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Sounds like things are getting better all the time. Congrats on your speedy recovery!

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Nice B7 man!
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Get better. The salmon cast really brings out the hues in your glasses

mtbr member
    Salmon? You're being kind. That cast is PINK - my granddaughter picked the color!
    Got the cast off yesterday and now in a brace - on the way to first rehab session in a few minutes. Doc says no bicycle yet - in case of accident or near miss, I would not be in a position to respond well.

weirdo
    Salmon? You're being kind. That cast is PINK - my granddaughter picked the color!
    Pink or not, I imagine it`s pretty hard to turn down a granddaughter`s request!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you come across a loose patch, the rear wheel usually goes right out from under you and you slam down hard. That happened to me two months ago on loose gravel. I fractured my left knee and I had a lot of intensive physical therapy work just to get back to normal. A wipeout isn't my idea of a good day.

mtbr member
    Got the pink cast off last week, now in a proper manly black brace. Rehab is hard, and I'm pushing hard. Got a weak little ET hand on the end of my arm.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Good to hear you're healing well.

This incident reminds me of when I caught some wet leaves going down a hilly trail last year. Rear wheel started sliding, couldn't get it back. Bike ended up sideways under me (front wheel pointed ahead, rear wheel sliding sideways 90* from front wheel). I was doing about 15mph too. Once it got sideways, she went over. I got thrown about 5 feet past where the bike landed. I got lucky and didn't hurt myself at all (right knee missed a big rock by about 8", that would have been ugly), although it was a major enough thing that I never remembered falling. I remember feeling the bike starting to go under me, then next thing I knew, I was laying on the ground. Somehow, I didn't do any damage to the bike either.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Got the pink cast off last week, now in a proper manly black brace. Rehab is hard, and I'm pushing hard. Got a weak little ET hand on the end of my arm.
    Physical therapy is tough, but you'll be thankful for it in the end. Hang in there man!

Members who have read this thread: 0