Winter SPD Shoes - emphasis on cold soles- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Winter SPD Shoes - emphasis on cold soles

Hello all,

I am searching for winter SPD shoes. Posting on commuting since I feel most of knowledge lies here.

Commuting some 30-45km daily, and searching for winter shoes that have soles that do not conduct cold from SPD. These will also be used for longer winter rides.

Currently have Lake MXZ302, and find them fine on top, but sole gets cold right away, I can just feel the coldness of the pedal creeping in after 10 mins, spreading to whole toe area.

Anybody got a solution in shoes? I am not interested in one-time usage of chemical insoles or similar.

since 4/10/2009
    winter use is what got me riding platform pedals at first. Now I ride them all the time. 100% year round, even.

In winter, I can wear some good boots with warm socks and my feet couldn't be happier. A lot of the serious winter riders in the fatbike forum use plastic platforms when it gets super cold, to avoid the heat transfer problem. I've not found that to be a problem with metal pedals and hiking boots down to the single digits F.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks - I am trying not to consider that as an option for multiple reasons.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post
    Thanks - I am trying not to consider that as an option for multiple reasons.
    For me it was the most affordable option by far. I had the hiking boots and warm socks already. Then I lucked into a freebie set of pedals last winter. Didn't cost me a dime.

Not a lot of shops stock winter shoes to try on, and I'm not big on buying shoes I can't try on. I have fit issues with cycling shoes. My feet don't like their shapes. Now that I ride platform pedals year round, and I have 5.10's, my feet are a ton happier.

45NRTH makes a couple different models of winter cycling boots. I've also heard good things about a pair Specialized started selling recently. I can't specifically say anything about the soles, though. What temps are a problem for you?

CB of the East
    The Lakes are about the warmest around until you jump to the Wolvhammer which is just too expensive IMO. I have the Lake 303s and they are the best I have had. Do the 302s have thermal insoles like the 303s? If you have enough room you could try something like this.
    Amazon.com: Miles Kimball Heat Reflecting Insoles: Shoes

That said, I do have flats on my fatbike and winter commuter so I can wear big boots.

Plastic Pedals + Snow = Slippery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Lately my circulation is not that good, so I feel the cold creeping in from 5C (40F) and lower.

Hands are fine, since I have proper gloves and no metal interface. Road shoes also, since I have Dura Ace carbon and cleats are plastic.

But SPD metal pedals-cleat interface is problematic for me, so I'd like to see if there are solutions from manufacturers that would have really non conductive sole material. Outside cold not an issue, but SPD heat (cold :-) sink is affecting the whole foot.

Since I have 4 bikes with SPD, and 2 pairs of shoes with SPD cleats I am not inclined to change systems before by shoe options run out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I also have trouble with circulation in my feet. I have Lake CXZ 302s, and eventually, my feet would get cold with SPDs or with road pedals. I bought a big box of Hothands toe warmers, and I find that they warm up the bottoms of my feet enough to get circulation going in the rest of my feet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hello all,

I am searching for winter SPD shoes. Posting on commuting since I feel most of knowledge lies here.

Commuting some 30-45km daily, and searching for winter shoes that have soles that do not conduct cold from SPD. These will also be used for longer winter rides.

Currently have Lake MXZ302, and find them fine on top, but sole gets cold right away, I can just feel the coldness of the pedal creeping in after 10 mins, spreading to whole toe area.

Anybody got a solution in shoes? I am not interested in one-time usage of chemical insoles or similar.
    Use insoles and big shoes...

Seal the SPD holes with silicone....

Add insulation to the lower leg to keeep the blood to the feet warm.

Best I have found are the MW80 from shimano...second best MW81 from Shimano...

I can get 45 mins at -35C with thermal socks, and three layers down my legs.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am riding with Lake MXZ303's. No problems with soles getting cold. I have a bad habit of scrunching up my toes in my right shoe. have done it ever since switching to clipless eons ago. Can't seem to break it. That tends to cut off the circulation to my big toe especially and in winter it will be the first if not only toe to get cold. My left foot remains warm and snugly.

mtbr member
    Search for insulated insoles. I've used woolen ones from the Army/Navy surplus. It took a little trimming and shaving to get the fit right, but it works well. Also, what jeffscott said.

Moderator Moderator
    I got a pair of Diadora Polaris 2 shoes on sale thinking they would be good for spring rides and wet rides, but I've been surprised how warm they are, especially at the cleat. I have been comfy down to the teens (F), I did get them big enough for wool socks. When I attached the cleats I noticed that unlike most cycling shoes, there is no holes right thru to the interior, and there is a wooly lining under the insole and around your foot. It's not thick but somehow seems warm. I never had Lakes or Shimanos, so they may be just as good, I just know I haven't felt that creeping cold cleat feeling. Now that we have snow I've switched to the MTB and flats, so don't think I'll try them at any colder temps. If they have your size you can get them for $90 instead of $199 Diadora Polaris 2 Shoes - Mountain/XC Shoes | Competitive Cyclist

I should add that I use these with Time ATACs, so the cleat is metal but alot of the pedal is some kind of composite plastic.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Winter SPD Shoes - emphasis on cold soles

Hello all,

The Lakes I bought years ago had special insulated insoles that worked well.

For my current shoes I first cover the cleat holes on the inside with tape.
    Then I cut new insoles from a sheet of cork gasket material from the auto parts store (available in different thicknesses).
    Works well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thanks for the helpful information in this thread. Gonna try a few of these things posted to see if it helps on the days that I am able to ride clipped in.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Gotta agree with flat pedals and winter boots and shoe covers. If its icy and you have to walk your bike any cleats aren't the safest. With a low cut boot, wool socks 2 pairs, thermal insole and shoe covers I have been able to cycle in -40C weather and then some for an hour with just a tad bit of coldness near the end.

On the really cold days I put all my socks and shoe covers on 10-15 minutes before I leave to build up a bit of heat, but not to the point of sweating.