Winter Shoe Covers?....?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Winter Shoe Covers?....?

so,with winter and all coming, i need your guys opinion and advice on shoe covers, what works & what doesn't.

Do they work?
    Are they worth it?
    Do some pack up and hold snow in?

Thanks.

Bedwards Of The West
    I have gone back and forth. I have used performance brand booties and I liked them, I might go back to those. I have big feet and it's hard to find covers that fit well. They are a pain to get in and out of. I stopped wearing them because they were starting to tear and I would sweat more putting them on than I would riding my bike to work.

What I have done the past couple winters is wear gator brand neoprene socks (got them at pricepoint). They are awesome for stopping wind/water, but they allow the shoes to get soaked. I have a place to stash soaking wet biking shoes at work so no big deal. After 2 winters they do let a little bit of water through in a big rain storm, but for typical rain/snow/sleet, they're still keeping it all out. I wear them over my regular socks and don't wash them all that much. They don't really get stinky.

Last winter was really cold, and I put some Pearl Izumi 'calien toes' on my shoes. Those in combination with the neoprene socks kept me pretty toasty, but like i said, the shoes get soaked (feet stay dry) in a big rain.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Off the back...
    I used to use shoe covers, but I found that they compressed so much that my circulation was compromised and my feet got cold. I also tried nylon covers, which were much more effective. The best footwear for winter riding I have found is the Shimano MW80 winter shoe. They are insulated, lined with Gore-Tex and have grippy rubber soles. They are absolutely fantastic. I've used them down to -25C with no issues.

Ovaries on the Outside
    my experience is going to be a little different, as I don't wear anything for the cold- but for the wet. The performance neoprene booties are fantastic. I could see them being difficult to handle if you are riding clipless, but if you are riding platform with cages they slip over Sambas easy enough and then you are off. I've had mine for two winters, they have remained fairly waterproof and are plenty warm.

The downside is they are really dorky and don't have a lot of traction. This winter I'll probably just let everything get wet and look "cooler."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I have gone back and forth. I have used performance brand booties and I liked them, I might go back to those. I have big feet and it's hard to find covers that fit well. They are a pain to get in and out of. I stopped wearing them because they were starting to tear and I would sweat more putting them on than I would riding my bike to work.

What I have done the past couple winters is wear gator brand neoprene socks (got them at pricepoint). They are awesome for stopping wind/water, but they allow the shoes to get soaked. I have a place to stash soaking wet biking shoes at work so no big deal. After 2 winters they do let a little bit of water through in a big rain storm, but for typical rain/snow/sleet, they're still keeping it all out. I wear them over my regular socks and don't wash them all that much. They don't really get stinky.

Last winter was really cold, and I put some Pearl Izumi 'calien toes' on my shoes. Those in combination with the neoprene socks kept me pretty toasty, but like i said, the shoes get soaked (feet stay dry) in a big rain.

I was wondering about those, how cold was it where you are?

weirdo
    I tried neoprene booties for mtb rides a few years ago. After miscalculating the size I needed, returning and waiting for the replacements, I got a pair that I could JUST BARELY pull over my bike shoes and still the heels hit my chainstays big time on every revolution. If you aren`t as duckfooted as I am, they seem like they`d probably be a good idea, but there`s no way they were going to do it for me. Anything like that I suggest buying in person rather than the order, return, repeat game I tried.

For commuting, I don`t mess around with cleated shoes, so I just use whatever shoes or boots from my closet seem appropriate for the day`s conditions. Anything that says "Shimano", "Izumi", "Lake", etc will cost twice what you`d have to pay for something that just says "Made in The Philipines" and has no cleat screws on the sole. Plus, the same crap you buy for riding works fine for walking or driving and vise versa. So even if you want to keep clipped in for fair weather commutes, I really suggest at least trying a set of quill or BMX pedals for those not so easy situations. YMMV.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I go back and forth on the pedal issue. The bike came with clip in, so I use them and have gotten used to them.... however there are day (snow/cold) where not having to worry about if I should buy booties or other to keep warm would be nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    They are expensive. I was thinking of making my own from old tarps and used tires just for the snow and wet. When I get to doing it, I'll post a picture thread.

mtbr member
    bike tires direct has their own house brand of neos that work well.

mtbr member
    biketiresdirect.com has their own house brand of neos that work well.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    I was wondering about those, how cold was it where you are?

I have worn the neoprene socks with cheap, old Shimano mtb shoes down to 4 degrees farenheit. At temps that low the toes do get a bit cold, but not unbearably cold.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    +1 for the Performance neoprene booties. If you get the right size they're not too tough to get on. Cut a hole for the cleats. Stays warm and dry.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    I used to use shoe covers, but I found that they compressed so much that my circulation was compromised and my feet got cold. I also tried nylon covers, which were much more effective. The best footwear for winter riding I have found is the Shimano MW80 winter shoe. They are insulated, lined with Gore-Tex and have grippy rubber soles. They are absolutely fantastic. I've used them down to -25C with no issues.

Yup play around all you want...if you are going to ride in the cold get the boots...

I have the Shimaon MW-80 as well you can ride in them from oh 5C all the way down to -35C, and I have done so....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I ordered a pair of these gore-tex running shoes (I have toe clips). So far I have used them in the rain and they work great for that (very waterproof). Although I think I'm gonna have to get some warmer socks for when it gets colder.....at 30ish degrees this past week, I can start to feel my toes getting a bit cold; not bad if if that was as cold as it was going to get, but it will get a lot colder here this winter.

I debated over getting some booties, but I was worried about being able to walk in them. Sometimes I just want to make a quick stop at say the bank, on my way to work/school, and I didn't want to have to worry about them being slippery and/or tearing if I walked in them, and don't really want to take the time to remove them and then put them back on for a 5-10min stop.

Link to the shoes I got here

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

get boots...

get boots...

Lake has a very nice winter boot...cable tension system easy to slip on/off and really water resistant = warm

covers work okay, but not for really wet and cold commuting...

my $.02

mtbr member
    i rode with a guy that had a set of http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1260652351709

like to find a pair in the states.
    2008 trek 7200
    2010 STUMPJUMPER FSR elite, tubeless =stans added..
    2007 yamaha rhino for the trails

weirdo
    They look nice. I`ve never tried ordering from MEC, but I don`t see why they`d turn down a sale. You might call or eMail and ask if they`d ship to you- especially since they have a currency calculator built into their website.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    rodar, they will ship to the states but the shipping is expensive..
    2008 trek 7200
    2010 STUMPJUMPER FSR elite, tubeless =stans added..
    2007 yamaha rhino for the trails

Members who have read this thread: 0