WInter Pannier Suggestion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

WInter Pannier Suggestion

So, I'm now in the market for a good pannier (or pair?). I currently have a metal basket pannier that's almost 100% rusted out and an LL-bean non-waterproof attache case that is not quite big enough for my normal winter commuting needs:
    - Large Kindle (DX)
    - Keys
    - Wallet
    - Sweater
    - Towel
    - Pants/Shirt/socks/etc.

I'd like something that's waterproof and doesn't look too garish for an office.

The two obvious choices I've seen are:
    - Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus (or Roller)
    - Ortlieb DowntownBag

I'm looking for some non-obvious (to me) suggestions that I can head out to REI / LBS and look and compare. I'll drop a review once I purchase something.

Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    If I were concerned about office appearances, I might choose something with a removable rain cover, so the winter slush/sand/salt could be left behind, and a cleaner pannier brought into the office.

I don't have these, but Jannd is a great company:
    Panniers

I don't know anything about these:
    Koki Bagatelle Canvas Cycling Pannier Bag - Save 50%

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I use the Ortlieb Back Roller Classic and it works well with a load of clothes/gear similar to yours. Sorry don't have any non-obvious suggestions to compare with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Timbuk2 also makes great bags and panniers

mtbr member
    I've used the Ortlieb Backroller for about 3 years now and it has held up extremely well. I carry a full change of clothes (I change at work) lunch, extra stuff like gloves, rain pants and haven't run out of room. Nothing has gotten wet, even after multiple rainy commutes in Portland. We're talking downpours here.

Prior to that I used the Banjo Brothers Waterproof Pannier. It worked well too, but the outside shell got ragged and beat-up which led to leakage over time, but it was a good bag.

I have a couple other throw-aways that I'll use for random trips and they are definitely out weather worthy. The Ortliebs are pricey, but IMHO, worth every penny.

mtbr member
    I use Axiom Champlain panniers. They came with waterproof covers that kept my gear dry all last winter and through the spring rain storms.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have the Seattle Sports Titan panniers. I think REI carries them, or something similar from Seattle Sports. They're roll-top panniers that don't need a rain fly or anything, and they come on and off the bike easily. I've never had problems (or worries, even) with them as to whether or not they'll stay on when I don't want them to come off. Basically an Ortlieb knockoff, but much, much less expensive.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    my friend got his panniers on Amazon from Ibera. they have plain black rain covers (aka slush covers in winter). I'm looking to get mine on bikepakmart because they have free shipping.

Members who have read this thread: 0