winter jackets? (Calgary not Vancouver)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

winter jackets? (Calgary not Vancouver)

After falling last year (first snowfall and still had my slicks on) and putting a hole in the elbow of my old Pearl Izumi jacket (fleece back with hardshell non-stretch front so I was ready to get a new one anyway), I've been looking for a replacement.
    Thought I found it with a Pearl Izumi Elite Softshell - pretty good design, zipped pocket on chest and back, but, it seems nowhere as warm as my old jacket, with the same base layer.
    Many road jackets have no zipped pockets and seem very race-oriented, but some XC ski jackets are a bit long in the front to be comfortable on the bike. I bought, then returned a Mavic Inferno, which should be very warm but the sleeves are baggy and the double-cuff design just didn't work with any of my winter riding gloves.

So, any suggestions for jackets that are suitable for bike commuting/pathway riding, well below 0C? Most of the time when it's cold it's dry, but we can get snow around the freezing point which can make a miserable ride if the jacket is not at least water-resistant (most modern softshells should work).

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have an older version of this: https://www.rei.com/product/102059/n...nd-jacket-mens

It is a great jacket and I have taken it down in the single digit Fahrenheit temperatures with no issue. That secured front pocket is ideal for a smartphone/cellphone. The back pockets on mine have zippers which I see they changed. Reflective bits for night riding.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    So, any suggestions for jackets that are suitable for bike commuting/pathway riding, well below 0C? Most of the time when it's cold it's dry, but we can get snow around the freezing point which can make a miserable ride if the jacket is not at least water-resistant (most modern softshells should work).

I ride Calgary....Finally went with a Mec triple gortex shell....Skiing oriented...
    Yes a little long in the front (I don't notice it unless I have the pockets full of stuff), but the neck does up really nice, and the pockets are great.

I will ride in today with a tech long sleeve, very light Merino sweater and the Mec jacket.

Bike shorts under bike tights, Helmet fits in hood...but won't nee that today.

Mec Senergy jacket.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I have an older version of this: https://www.rei.com/product/102059/n...nd-jacket-mens

It is a great jacket and I have taken it down in the single digit Fahrenheit temperatures with no issue. That secured front pocket is ideal for a smartphone/cellphone. The back pockets on mine have zippers which I see they changed. Reflective bits for night riding.
    thanks but "Novara products can only be delivered to US addresses" and I'm in Canada.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I apologize - didn't read the whole title before I posted.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I ride Calgary....Finally went with a Mec triple gortex shell....Skiing oriented...
    Yes a little long in the front (I don't notice it unless I have the pockets full of stuff), but the neck does up really nice, and the pockets are great.

I will ride in today with a tech long sleeve, very light Merino sweater and the Mec jacket.

Bike shorts under bike tights, Helmet fits in hood...but won't nee that today.

Mec Senergy jacket.
    Synergy? $425 - yikes! Is Gore-tex Pro breathable at low temps?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Synergy? $425 - yikes! Is Gore-tex Pro breathable at low temps?
    Sorry pick d the wrong one

Back and Beyond jacket....

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5036-9...kbeyond-Jacket

$225

Yes the triple gortex works really well eliminating sweat even when really cold.