Winter helmet options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Winter helmet options?

So last Friday morning it was pretty chilly here by DC metro area standards. I saw a woman riding with her snowboard helmet and goggles. Seemed to be motoring along happily, but I didn't get a chance to speak to her. Mid to upper 20's F forecast for tomorrow morning. Chilly, but nothing compared to what some of you are riding in.

I have thought about hockey helmets with a half shield, snow sport helmets with goggles, bike specific winter helmets and road helmets with small face shield that they are selling now. XC ski market makes nice visors that flip up too, although I don't think they'd work with all helmets. In Alaska I didn't use a helmet when it was cold enough for goggles, that was back before head injuries were invented I don't have a problem with my head getting cold but I like goggles at times to keep the blast of cold air off the eyes and face a little.

Does anyone have a winter helmet get up they'd like to share?

Did I catch a niner+?
    I am lucky enough to have two helmets.

For winter I use a Bern Brentwood with the winter kit.

You can see it here, nevermind my hideous face.

I'd say it is worth it. That day there it was -5F I believe with wind and snow and I was find inside that piece of kit. I would also say it is real nice having two helmets with one dedicated to winter and not having to really remove anything from it, I just store it as is for 8 months.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    I use a snowboard helmet and googles for winter riding. Its been the answer to a bunch of issues.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am in the snowboard helmet and goggle crowd as well, and if I have that on, I have a balaclava on. Picked up the helmet and goggles from Dick's Sporting Goods a couple of years ago. Helmet is a Giro Encore I think, googles are Oakley. Balaclava is Seirus. Perfect combo for cold weather below about 20F and the bone chilling wind. I do wear a thin Pearl Izumi head cover under the helmet as it is ventilated and I shave my head.

The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    look up winter biking helmets from Lazer. Have had one for 2 years here in the Midwest. Pretty sure mine is the Dissent model. Have ridden it with and without goggles and/or balaclava. It's been a great helmet (at least down to my low riding temp of 5 degrees F!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A winter helmet needs vents that can be closed, ear and back of the neck protection.

Also needs to fit googles well even with built in straps...

A built in light mount is ideal....cause winter is also dark.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    A winter helmet needs vents that can be closed, ear and back of the neck protection.

Also needs to fit googles well even with built in straps...

A built in light mount is ideal....cause winter is also dark.
    That is why I went with the snowboard option. I figure if it is good enough to snowboard with, it should be fine for riding. The helmet has a clasp in the back to fit the goggle strap. It all makes sense. No light mount for me, lights go on the bars on all of my bikes. I tend to look around a lot at night and tried a light on the helmet. I blinded 15 people and got honked at several times. As for the vents, that is not a necessity, and even with the small vents I have, my head still gets super warm even in very cold temps.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    That is why I went with the snowboard option. I figure if it is good enough to snowboard with, it should be fine for riding. The helmet has a clasp in the back to fit the goggle strap. It all makes sense. No light mount for me, lights go on the bars on all of my bikes. I tend to look around a lot at night and tried a light on the helmet. I blinded 15 people and got honked at several times. As for the vents, that is not a necessity, and even with the small vents I have, my head still gets super warm even in very cold temps.

The light mount is nice been riding for ten years that way never had much of a problem blinding people unless I wanted too..

Vents work great cause winter temps go from 0C to -36C...

Super warm head when cold means sweat in warmer temps not smart.

But mine is a skiing helmet same diff, and has all of the above so you can use'em or not.

mtbr member
    Why not put a helmet cover on your helmet? Keeps out the wind. Works for me until -5C/ 23F, below that I wear a windproof balaclava below the helmet as well. Worked for me until -10C/14F and I have the feeling that it will tackle even lower temps as well, although it was never necessary so far.

I have a self-sewn softshell helmet cover. Softshell breathes better than a hardshell cover and mine keeps out rain just as good.

MrPink57: I am jealous about the ski goggles though. I am looking for some a while already but so far havent found any affordable ones, that have a lens that does not darken everything. Sunglasses in the dark wont work :-/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Another option: a balaclava meant for motorized riding (snowmobile, motorcycle, etc...). I have one that is 200 weight fleece around the head, and 300 over the mouth, and let me tell you, unless you're looking at temperatures below 15F, it's almost unusable on a bicycle. It's important to buy one with some kind of venting around your nose/mouth at that weight, otherwise you can have difficulty pulling a breath through the material.

I personally like a helmet light, as well. My experience is that it is quite useful for people who refuse to turn their high-beams off--just flick your light at them, and they'll usually get the picture. I only use helmet lights that are easily moved, so I can adjust for my riding position, ambient light, etc...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Why not put a helmet cover on your helmet? Keeps out the wind.
    Yup

Shower cap. Even matches the bike.

mtbr member
    ^^ Shipping tape works too, to cover helmet vents.

mtbr member
    No need for a new helmet or putting anything over the helmet. Just wear a thin skull cap under your helmet and add an ear protector if it gets too cold for just that. I wear the same system anywhere from 0F to 35F, and I don't have any hair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Wow, you must be warm blooded. 25 degrees today and I had my Dissent Helmet on with the vents closed, balaclava with extra nose and mouth wrap and a thermal Endura base layer that covered my neck with a winter jacket. With the wind I still could be warmer, next time the goggles are going on too!
    I don't seem especially warm blooded in general and am pretty skinny, so no extra insulation, but maybe I am warm-blooded. I ride most of the winter in a light cycling jacket with a short-sleeved shirt under it and tights. As it gets colder, I'll add arm warmers or a long-sleeved shirt. I do wear a balaclava sometimes in the single digits, but anything above 10 and my neck is boiling.

Human Test Subject
    I try to use my head as a heat dump and go light up top. Regular helmets only become an issue when I try to wear goggles because my long beautiful eyelashes tend to freeze shut.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I try to use my head as a heat dump and go light up top. Regular helmets only become an issue when I try to wear goggles because my long beautiful eyelashes tend to freeze shut.
    And you want how much for that bridge? Will you accept a used roller coaster in a straight across trade?

Human Test Subject
    Is it a scary one? Also I don't like going upside down.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.