Winter commuting tips- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Winter commuting tips

Hello
    I live in a town up in the mountains and I do 10km each way. I started in the summer and I always avoided riding in rainy days. Snow is starting to reach the region and I thought I could try commuting in the winter no matter the weather. It seems to me that dry snow is less problematic than pure rain.
    In the summer I can either commute on roads or trails.
    Since usually there's snow and ice all winter long I thought I should really put the Ice Spiker Pro, that leaves me with only the trail for commuting since (I suppose) the sound on the asphalt would be to annoying and riding during snowing and rainy days with cars that splash water all over you is no fun.

I'm starting to ask myself if it's really good idea. When the days are really cold (so snow is compacted) and sunny the problem is minimum but what happens on other days looks problematic to me.

How do you deal with
    1) rain and snow in the face when riding, i wear prescription glasses
    2) no matter how good your fenders are you're going to get dirty and wet, yes I have some clothes that are supposed to be waterproof but who knows. Should I just change clothes at work?
    3) all dirty and wet and you have to stop at a store...how do you deal with that? you can't change clothes before entering
    4) other problems I'm missing?

PS: I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for technical clothes!

Human Test Subject
    1- over the glasses goggles
    2- full coverage fenders work great, but aren't perfect. Snow from the sky is clean as long as you don't use a microscope or pay attention to pollution levels
    3- Just go in and make them clean it up. They have to mop anyway
    4- 45nrth tires are better at commuting than Schwalbes. They make riding suck less.

You may have to spend a lot of money on technical clothes unless you can control your level of exertion. If you're slow and not sweating it doesn't matter how you dress, but as you work harder clothing matters more.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    1- over the glasses goggles
    2- full coverage fenders work great, but aren't perfect. Snow from the sky is clean as long as you don't use a microscope or pay attention to pollution levels
    3- Just go in and make them clean it up. They have to mop anyway
    4- 45nrth tires are better at commuting than Schwalbes. They make riding suck less.

You may have to spend a lot of money on technical clothes unless you can control your level of exertion. If you're slow and not sweating it doesn't matter how you dress, but as you work harder clothing matters more.
    Thanks

1) goggles clean themselves from snow and rain? That's the problem.

2) you're referring to mudhuggers?

4) you mean this https://45nrth.com/products/gravdal_650
    ?
    Do they sell them in EU?
    Since we're here which is the less expensive studded tire for 27.5 rims?

CB of the East
    Skip the worst sloppy weather days and you will be fine. Winter riding is generally more exhausting than summer riding, so a day off once in a while isn't a bad thing. If you have a full trail option that gets packed that will be clean anyway. When the trails are frozen all the mud is frozen too.